• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Now for untimely demise of Haseeb Hameed's England test career. We hardly knew ye.
England of late tend to give players an extended run and a fair chance of proving themselves. Unless he comes up with some really shocking numbers (which based on the hype I doubt) I'm sure he'll survive the series. Even if averages 5 or whatever and gets dropped he's only 19.

hazsa19

International Regular
I don't know if he is serious about that or just throwing shade towards Anderson. The guy is an immensely skilled bowler, as lengthy as Woakes makes the batting and as quality as I think he is, I still think Anderson has to play.
Is playing 3 seamers (4 including Stokes) and 2 spinners out of the question? Play to your strengths and all that

hazsa19

International Regular
England of late tend to give players an extended run and a fair chance of proving themselves. Unless he comes up with some really shocking numbers (which based on the hype I doubt) I'm sure he'll survive the series. Even if averages 5 or whatever and gets dropped he's only 19.
Yeh he would have to reach new levels of atrocious not to get another chance beyond this series, as long as he keeps scoring runs for Lancs. I hope he sees it this way, it might relieve a few of the nerves.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Have you ever thought about becoming an England selector. With an XI like that you'd go down a storm.

Our best bowler this year dropped and Ballance in the side. Ball above of batty as well in the line up cmon man.
You can only make with what's in front of you. Ballance is a walking wicket but throwing in Hameed just like that does not fit right. Ballance keeping his spot because he's going to play atleast the first test otherwise I dont see why hes even in the squad. Dropping Woakes in place of Jake Ball because in these conditions I feel Jake Ball will do better than Woakes even though you lose some of the strength batting wise. Thing is you cant always rely on your lower batting order to save your *** all the time. Runs got to come from top and middle order if you are going to win the test. Let also the batsmen know that you can't be 3/20 every test.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England have just complicated things by not picking the best spinners from County Cricket.

I wouldn't have Rashid anywhere near the team personally. If you have Leach & Moeen then you have what are generally accepted as the best two finger spinners available and you have the left/right arm variation. Where is the difficulty in picking that? Having another spinner after that adds virtually nothing because they're ****e (apart from maybe Rayner as he's tall and had a good year).

The decision would then be whether you have 3 or 4 seam bowlers. 4 gives more protection to Stokes.

Last edited:

mackembhoy

International Debutant
England have just complicated things by not picking the best spinners from County Cricket.

I wouldn't have Rashid anywhere near the team personally. If you have Leach & Moeen then you have what are generally accepted as the best two finger spinners available and you have the left/right arm variation. Where is the difficulty in picking that? Having another spinner after that adds virtually nothing because they're ****e (apart from maybe Rayner as he's tall and had a good year).

The decision would then be whether you have 3 or 4 seam bowlers. 4 gives more protection to Stokes.
Cos they want people who can bat a bit. It's why Onions got booted out the side. It's why Chris Jordan has played test cricket.

Just pick the best XI and stop pissing about with bits and pieces cricketers. If Leach could score a 50 if he'd have been the first name on the teamsheet.

I like legspinners and want Rashid to do well so I will give him a chance. But Ansari/Batty selections are embarrassing,

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Cos they want people who can bat a bit. It's why Onions got booted out the side. It's why Chris Jordan has played test cricket.

Just pick the best XI and stop pissing about with bits and pieces cricketers. If Leach could score a 50 if he'd have been the first name on the teamsheet.

I like legspinners and want Rashid to do well so I will give him a chance. But Ansari/Batty selections are embarrassing,
They keep picking Finn.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Harks back to the old traditional English idea that a finger spinner is a guy who bowls a few quiet overs whilst the seamers rest, maybe chips out a wicket or two and contributes with bat and in the field. Whilst the seamers win the game.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Had his best year ever in test cricket and averaged 15 in the UAE. Does Sourav watch cricket?

He also thinks Finn should play cos of of his pace :laugh::laugh::laugh: Jimmy bowls quicker than him these days

He always struck me as a bit of a self important person. I may be wrong.

He is our answer to the Channel 9 commentators,but with more of everything was better in my day.

Compton

International Debutant
I don't see how anyone watching England over the last year or so could reasonably conclude that Woakes shouldn't play.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I don't see how anyone watching England over the last year or so could reasonably conclude that Woakes shouldn't play.
because you make adjustment and try who is best suited in different conditions. For me its between Ball and Woakes for a spot. you can drop rashid/batty and play ball still but moeen and batty/rashid dont give me enough confidence and with stokes around and doing a great job, dont really need additionally 3 seamers. Fully aware of Woakes performance but he does not have enough variation for here and also not have enough experience to cover that up. Ball on the other hand, whatever little I've seen, got plenty of variations and will be very useful.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Variety means sfa a lot of the times. Woakes is good with the new ball and decent with the old. He'll be fine.