• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

Howe_zat

Audio File
It could be two months, it could be a year
That's an odd thing to say, iof he'd said he genuinely doesn't know then fine, but he actually put a maximum on it.

Who was the last England player to give up the captaincy and still play? KP doesn't count.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Excited about the series. I believe this series result so hugely depends on 2 guys, Cook and Ashwin. Any MOS guesses? Just to be slightly different, I'll go for Jadeja.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
That's an odd thing to say, iof he'd said he genuinely doesn't know then fine, but he actually put a maximum on it.

Who was the last England player to give up the captaincy and still play? KP doesn't count.

Atherton, Nasser Hussain, Flintoff .That's 3 in very recent times.

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
So the breaking news is Hameed to open and Duckett to play at four in place of Balance. Blimey that's a brave call to make against a very experienced India attack on their own patch isn't it? Gonna be interesting to see how Hameed deals with the pressure. I think it would have been wiser to give him his debut in Bangladesh first tbh but hey it is what it is.

I remember Root doing well on debut there so lets see if he can follow in his footsteps.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure how I'd feel about Root getting the captaincy this soon tbh. For that reason I'm hoping Cook will stick it out until at least after the Ashes.

greg

International Debutant
Flintoff was never permanent captain, he was a stand in for Vaughan and got it taken off him. It's probably Atherton
Hussain and Stewart before you reach Atherton. Gooch before Atherton. Gatting. Gower. Botham. In fact most captains before England actually started becoming successful and captains got to choose their retirements.

EDIT: oops misunderstood the question. D'oh

Last edited:

ImpatientLime

International Regular
smashing an unbeaten and match winning century at HQ kinda erased that memory. pretty sure his final two shots were...

cover drive 4 to bring up his century
cover drive 4 to win the match

one of my favourite cricketing memories

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Kind of annoyed that they are throwing Hameed into the fire now.

Hoping he does well but **** not exactly an easy start to his test career.

IMO Cook would probably step down if we had a decent tour but given we will get smashed I doubt he wants to go out as captain after a 5-0 loss.