• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Bangladesh in West Indies

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
There's no argument that Sarwan is not the finished product yet, but it's ridiculous to say he hasn't matured any. Have you seen just about every Test and ODI innings Sarwan has played? Clearly not. I have seen over 90% of them and can definitely say that he has matured a great deal since he debuted.
I agree, Liam - and what's more, Sarwan's innings in the third test against England was a superb grafting effort.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hannan Sarkar has dropped 3 catches in the series so far.

He averages as many runs per innings as he has dropped catches.

He has a third as many dropped catches as runs.

What a horrible tour he's having!

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
TEC will be turning in his grave
dont be ridiculous....i didnt say that sarwan wasnt capable of scoring a century against bangladesh of for that matter any side.....he is too talented to not do that. i simply said that he hadnt shown all the much improvement over the last few years....which is represented by his annual batting average.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
dont be ridiculous....i didnt say that sarwan wasnt capable of scoring a century against bangladesh of for that matter any side.....he is too talented to not do that. i simply said that he hadnt shown all the much improvement over the last few years....which is represented by his annual batting average.
I'm sorry - I couldn't resist it, but timing is not exactly one of your strong points, is it?

Take your medicine and STFU now and again instead of continually shooting yourself in the foot (any toes left, by the way) and we'll all get along fine.

Craig

World Traveller
Congratulations Sarwan, he is true class, if they can get his right spot (that should be three) and he fix up his shot selection, then there is no reason way he why he can not finish with a Test career average of ove 50.

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:
It's the last point which is always going to sway it, though, Craig. "If we lose when going for a win, then that's too bad." In football parlance, 'doing a Keegan' is only something you would do if you were either
a) desperate
or
b) in a position of strength and confident of the outcome

because either way, you end up shooting yourself in the foot.

Bangladesh had a first innings lead of 64, then took 105 overs in adding another 271.
If we go back to the night before (94-6), that only afforded a lead of 158, and the two players at the crease were
a) naturally defensive, both scoring at a strike rate of around 30 throughout their careers
b) both with averages in the teens or low twenties.

To have asked them to play an unnatural game would have been quite suicidal under the circumstances, but let's assume that was the game plan. Well, after an hour, they lost the senior batsman - Saleh was out leaving them 7 down, 180 ahead and with numbers 8 and 9 at the wicket.

I appreciate that Rafique scored a brilliant century in the first innings, but you're asking him to do it again.

Just maybe, after they have learned how to avoid defeat a few more times, they will surely learn how to win. After all, so many people on this board were all for removing their test status - and that's only a year ago.

Yesterday was a day to settle for what they had, and wait for a better opportunity to come along, which it might sooner than you think. After all, they play the West Indies again in a few days.
So in a nut shell you disagree with what I said Eddie?

Thing is Eddie, I hate losing, I get grumpy when I do, especially in individual and team sports. But then again who enjoy's losing?

I think you should at least try and aim for a win.

IMO in Test cricket, unless the first two days have been interupted by rain (or bad light), you should not bat for any longer then two days, and look to declare with 12 overs left (with two overs gone for change of innings), you have ten overs left and look to get a wicket or two.

Batting onto day 3 to be is wasting time and when you should be looking to bowl out the side.