• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Bangladesh in West Indies

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SpaceMonkey said:
LOL then why didnt he declare b4 making 400?
Do we have to go over this again??

Simply -

1/ Flat pitch and West Indies would have had to have bowled for 2 and a half days to get 20 wickets.

2/ The bowlers would have liked to be alive at the end of the Test.

Lara said that the team goal was 750 and they got 750.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Is it impossible that maybe the man is telling the truth in that he puts West Indies first and his records are secondary?
And other people's records are third :D

I guess he would think different against someone else, but somehow i dont think he would be too enthusiastic about letting somone break it against the Bangladeshi's

Revelation

U19 Debutant
i get what you all are saying but do you realise that Sarwan was 261* and not 361*?? The record is no longer 365,375 or 380. It's a full 20 runs more. Sarwan was 140 runs away. That's tantamount to arguing with a skipper for declaring with a man on 241* when the record was 380. (Ganguly declared Sachin on that score) Let's say that Lara gave him free license, he'd have to get 140. Chanderpaul may have been a little slower, probably getting another 120. *if he had gotton out and Smith came in it would be more) That's another 260 plus extras, say 275. That means that Lara would have declared on 834???? In addition, an extra 275, going at 4.10 an over means another 67 overs. He would have gotton 20 yesterday leaving 47 today. that means he would have had to bat till AFTER lunch today. It doesn't sound reasonable to me at all, and to top it off, they got rid of 3 Bangladeshi's yesterday.

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
I'm not so sure - after all, if something goes awry over the next two days, Sarwan will in all likelihood be the skipper later this month.

I've still got the feeling that we're seeing Lara for the last time as captain anyway.
interestingly tony cozier recently stated that lara should take his leave as captain.
he also said "Although he has been a Test cricketer for four years, Sarwan won't be 24 until later this month and the manner of his dismissals, not least the Bangladeshi set-up for the hook in St Lucia, indicates a lingering immaturity. "
something that most people disagreed with when i said so but anyways he feels that sarwan should get the job as it might make him a more mature player.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
interestingly tony cozier recently stated that lara should take his leave as captain.
he also said "Although he has been a Test cricketer for four years, Sarwan won't be 24 until later this month and the manner of his dismissals, not least the Bangladeshi set-up for the hook in St Lucia, indicates a lingering immaturity. "
something that most people disagreed with when i said so but anyways he feels that sarwan should get the job as it might make him a more mature player.
I'll definitely agree with you there

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
Worked alot for Hussain. Probably right in that it would do the same for Sarwan.

chicane

State Captain
Well it looks like Bangladesh will suffer an innings defeat by a considerable margin. Shows that some people got too excited over the previous test match. Bangladesh performed very well, but they weren't really close to a test match win. They were helped by the Windies sorry performance and attitude. They will still have to raise their game further to be able to beat even stronger teams that they are about to face. Dav Whatmore is transforming them and he's definitely guiding them to their first win. But there's some way to go yet.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Totally agree.I said it before the West Indies drew that game because of poor cricket.The Bangladeshis played well but the West Indies played badly.In this match the West Indies played well and Bangladesh played well.But who won?

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I hate it when the match is blacked out and I have to watch highlights.Oh well off to England for the Kiwis and the ????English.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Based on what?

Running through the Bangladesh middle order?
No, but he also bowled well against England and is now able to bring the ball back into the right-hander as well as angling it across. Seems to be a bit more accurate than he was, though perhaps a little slower to compensate.

A definite starter for the 1st test in England, but Edwards and Best - worryingly - seem to have gone backwards in this series (though admittedly I haven't been able to watch a great deal of it).

Great knock from Sarwan too based on the bits I saw. Given a life and I spotted one dodgy pull shot, but generally seemed to rely on exquisite timing.

Nice to see Banks back and in the wickets too. He must be a favourite for the 1st eleven in England given the pace bowlers' continuing problems re injury/form.

My test touring squad would probably be:

Gayle, Devon Smith, Lara, Sarwan, Dwayne Smith, Bravo, R Hinds, Jacobs, Baugh, Banks, Edwards, Best, Collins, Rampaul, Lawson/Dillon

I'd be inclined to go for Dillon over Lawson, who should perhaps be given more chance to re-build fitness and form in domestic cricket, but I can't see the selectors going back to Merv or Collymore.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Based on what?

umm based on the fact that he also took the most wickets in that dead antigua test? when harmison picks up wickets against bangladesh you give him all the credit in the world but when collins does you dont?
why do i get the feeling that you oppose absolutely everything that craig says?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Excuse, but when did I "give Harmison all the credit in the World" for his wickets against Bangladesh?

I didn't.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
umm based on the fact that he also took the most wickets in that dead antigua test? when harmison picks up wickets against bangladesh you give him all the credit in the world but when collins does you dont?
why do i get the feeling that you oppose absolutely everything that craig says?
It's called 'healthy debate'.

A bit like when you say anything and everyone disagrees with you.

( :p )

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:
Based on what?

Based on the fact that he's bowling far better than he has ever done at Test level. Last year against Australia he was at his worst and looked like a schoolboy bowler.

He then put his head down (like Tino Best) and focussed all his energies on getting back into Test cricket. After a very good Carib Beer Cup, he was recalled against England and, even on the dead ARG wicket, he troubled the batsmen immensely. He has a problem with noballs lately, but his control has been spot on and he's gotten the ball to swing (and reverse) quite profusely and regularly. I'd be shocked if he didn't do well in England.

Mr Mxyzptlk

garage flower said:
Gayle, Devon Smith, Lara, Sarwan, Dwayne Smith, Bravo, R Hinds, Jacobs, Baugh, Banks, Edwards, Best, Collins, Rampaul, Lawson/Dillon

I'd be inclined to go for Dillon over Lawson, who should perhaps be given more chance to re-build fitness and form in domestic cricket, but I can't see the selectors going back to Merv or Collymore.
I think Collymore will do more than Dillon in English conditions. He's more accurate and does swing the ball. I also wouldn't have Rampaul in the Test squad as yet. I don't think he does enough with the ball to complement the attack. That said, there's no other bowler who I'd take ahead of him, so he'll go.

Interesting to see no Chanderpaul there...

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Based on the fact that he's bowling far better than he has ever done at Test level. Last year against Australia he was at his worst and looked like a schoolboy bowler.

He then put his head down (like Tino Best) and focussed all his energies on getting back into Test cricket. After a very good Carib Beer Cup, he was recalled against England and, even on the dead ARG wicket, he troubled the batsmen immensely. He has a problem with noballs lately, but his control has been spot on and he's gotten the ball to swing (and reverse) quite profusely and regularly. I'd be shocked if he didn't do well in England.
Agreed.

He wasn't 100% there against England, I didn't think, but looked pretty good. But he looked right up there in this Test.

Just as those of us who were following Harmison closely were impressed with his bowling in Bangladesh, I was impressed with this performance. OK, it probably wouldn't have been 6-36 against a better side, but 6-85 I could easily believe. If Matthew Hoggard can be a successful bowler in England, I can't see any reason why Collins shouldn't be, because Collins is more consistent.

I also liked the look of Banks. He is a spinner, whereas Gayle is only a slow bowler. He's still prone to bowling a four-ball an over, but that is also MacGill's problem, and he hasn't done so badly. Trouble is, we don't usually get raging turners in England, and I suspect the only batsman he'll get out is Flintoff, miscuing his sixth six.

Cheers,

Mike

Mr Mxyzptlk

badgerhair said:
I also liked the look of Banks. He is a spinner, whereas Gayle is only a slow bowler. He's still prone to bowling a four-ball an over, but that is also MacGill's problem, and he hasn't done so badly. Trouble is, we don't usually get raging turners in England, and I suspect the only batsman he'll get out is Flintoff, miscuing his sixth six.

Cheers,

Mike
He certainly got a lot more turn than I've ever seen him get and a surprising amount for a finger spinner. I like the fact that he's willing to flight the ball and would love to see him and Mohammed go to India and probably play some form of club cricket to develop their skills.