• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Bangladesh in West Indies

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
ahh these staff members think they can insult anybody and be rude to anybody and get away with it.....oh wait they always do.
That's because you assume STFU to mean an insult. It could mean anything. ;)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
That's because you assume STFU to mean an insult. It could mean anything. ;)
The accepted (usual) use isn't an insult - it just means 'shut the f*** up', and the context is important - a little gutteral, but banter nonetheless as in

Take your medicine and STFU now and again instead of continually shooting yourself in the foot (any toes left, by the way) and we'll all get along fine.
There are other meanings, of course...

Stop ThinkGeek From Understanding
Stinky Telnet Fell Under
Somebody Thinks Fitzgerald's Ugly
Slashdot Trolls Feign Understanding
Star Trek Federation University
Some Teamsters Form Unions
Salty Taste From Uruguay
Strangely Talkative Funky Underpants
Something Taken From Uranus
Stupid Tooextracool's Farting Urethra

... the list is endless.

If I'd said 'STFU you no-nothing annoying idiot, you're just being a whiny dumbass as usual' to anyone THEN it would have been contained within an insult, but of course being a staff member I wouldn't dream of saying such a thing.

Mr Mxyzptlk

If Sarwan is on 300 at stumps, will Lara declare?
Should Lara declare at stumps if West Indies are batting and regardless of Sarwan's situation?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Should Lara declare at stumps if West Indies are batting and regardless of Sarwan's situation?
No and no.
Dependent upon weather forecasts, I would suggest half an hour before lunch tomorrow.

And congrats to Sarwan (chuckle)

Mr Mxyzptlk

I can't wait to see Dwayne Smith and Omari Banks bat (if they do), but I don't want Sarwan or Chanders to get out as they're batting so superbly right now. Can't wait to see Omari Banks bowl on the wearing pitch too.

Rich2001

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I think there is so much time left in the game that Lara can afford to let him go on for alot longer... It's only day 3 now he has got over 2 hours left of today and he could bat to lunch on day 4 (maybe even tea) and still have time to bowl the Bangladesh out in time on a day 5 surface IMO.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Rich2001 said:
I think there is so much time left in the game that Lara can afford to let him go on for alot longer... It's only day 3 now he has got over 2 hours left of today and he could bat to lunch on day 4 (maybe even tea) and still have time to bowl the Bangladesh out in time on a day 5 surface IMO.
I wouldn't bat further than lunch as I wouldn't want to under-rate Bangladesh. They're a bunch of fighters and the West Indies HAVE to win this game.

chicane

State Captain
Rich2001 said:
But there's a lot at stake for Lara if they can't bowl out Bangladesh. He'll be thinking about that surely...tricky situation if Sarwan is batting 300+ and he has to declare.

Rich2001

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I wouldn't bat further than lunch as I wouldn't want to under-rate Bangladesh. They're a bunch of fighters and the West Indies HAVE to win this game.
I think Lunch is fair, as long as Sarwan knows lunch is the cut off it isn't so bad it's then upto him if he wishes to scores as many in that time or just to bat and (hopfully) remain undefeated.

If you can't bowl Bangladesh out in 5 session (or nearly 2 days) then you don't deseve to win, as Bangladesh should get every credit for batting for so long :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The declaration with 20 overs to go tonight came as a huge surprise to everyone.

Then I looked at the weather forecast for Tuesday.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I guess the weather is the reason but it also help's Lara avoid any criticism he would get if he declared when Sarwan was nearer his record. I'm maybe being sceptical but i dont think Lara would let Sarwan take his record off him

Mr Mxyzptlk

A brilliant innings by Sarwan and ultimately a huge miss by Sarkar.

Disappointed not to see Dwayne Smith...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
superkingdave said:
I guess the weather is the reason but it also help's Lara avoid any criticism he would get if he declared when Sarwan was nearer his record. I'm maybe being sceptical but i dont think Lara would let Sarwan take his record off him
I'm not so sure - after all, if something goes awry over the next two days, Sarwan will in all likelihood be the skipper later this month.

I've still got the feeling that we're seeing Lara for the last time as captain anyway.

Mr Mxyzptlk

superkingdave said:
When Lara has said publicly that he would like to see one of the young West Indians break the record, naming Chris Gayle and Ramnaresh Sarwan as the ones he'd back? He must have multiple personalities.

Mr Mxyzptlk

luckyeddie said:
I'm not so sure - after all, if something goes awry over the next two days, Sarwan will in all likelihood be the skipper later this month.

I've still got the feeling that we're seeing Lara for the last time as captain anyway.
I think Sarwan may take over in ODIs, but I don't think the WICB has the balls to chuck him in for Tests. As far as I'm concerned, Sarwan is already the captain though. He talks to the bowlers all the time and it seems that Lara lets him captain the side as much as he can without actually being the captain.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I think Sarwan may take over in ODIs, but I don't think the WICB has the balls to chuck him in for Tests. As far as I'm concerned, Sarwan is already the captain though. He talks to the bowlers all the time and it seems that Lara lets him captain the side as much as he can without actually being the captain.
I think you're right, Liam - especially with respect to today's declaration. It was almost as though Lara was saying "What do you reckon?"

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
When Lara has said publicly that he would like to see one of the young West Indians break the record, naming Chris Gayle and Ramnaresh Sarwan as the ones he'd back? He must have multiple personalities.
We'll he's hardly gonna say otherwise is he :) No one in their right mind would let someone break their record if they were in a position to stop that!

Mr Mxyzptlk

SpaceMonkey said:
We'll he's hardly gonna say otherwise is he :) No one in their right mind would let someone break their record if they were in a position to stop that!
Is it impossible that maybe the man is telling the truth in that he puts West Indies first and his records are secondary?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Is it impossible that maybe the man is telling the truth in that he puts West Indies first and his records are secondary?
LOL then why didnt he declare b4 making 400?