• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in England

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Graveney usually talks a load of tosh tho, although I do feel it is almost inevitable that they'll play Lewis at some point - seems like an almost token selection to show that they're looking at who's doing well in domestic cricket.
I've never accepted the view that selectors ignore the county game now that central contracts and the Academy are in place. Even in the last 24 months, we've seen Key, Bell, Ed Smith & Geraint Jones in the test side off the back of runs scored in the CC, and Anderson's initial callup to the Academy owed much to the load of wickets he took in 2002 anyway. If more English bowlers regularly produced some decent performances in the CC, they'd get a look-in as well.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
thats true, but somehow i rather simon jones in the ODI team, if he can develop his potential with the bat, he would be perfect.

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Pietersen
Flintoff
Collingwood
Jones
Giles
Gough
Jones
Harmison

One day i hope to see ENG ODI team like this 8-)
It's a very sensible lineup, although I don't know how much longer Gough will last. Not that I'm writing him off after he was by some distance our best performer in the SA ODI's. That being said, I do worry about Harmison playing in the NW games this year. Last year I was all for it - his confidence was high, and he was bowling straight. Neither of those are in place this year, AFAICS, and I do wonder how a mauling in these games will affect him when he could more usefully spend a couple more county matches sorting out his rhythm/radar/confidence/callitwhatyouwill in time for the games that matter.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
wpdavid said:
It's a very sensible lineup, although I don't know how much longer Gough will last. Not that I'm writing him off after he was by some distance our best performer in the SA ODI's. That being said, I do worry about Harmison playing in the NW games this year. Last year I was all for it - his confidence was high, and he was bowling straight. Neither of those are in place this year, AFAICS, and I do wonder how a mauling in these games will affect him when he could more usefully spend a couple more county matches sorting out his rhythm/radar/confidence/callitwhatyouwill in time for the games that matter.
I think Harmison is bowling OK, he'll probably do well at Durham HQ (if it ever stops raining). I do think tho that they should give the new ball in Tests to someone else. Also he got 'mauled' for a short spell in SA, his first 5 overs went for 0-44 and the next 5 went for 1-21 (27th, 29th, 43rd, 45th and 48th overs).

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Scaly piscine said:
I think Harmison is bowling OK, he'll probably do well at Durham HQ (if it ever stops raining). I do think tho that they should give the new ball in Tests to someone else. Also he got 'mauled' for a short spell in SA, his first 5 overs went for 0-44 and the next 5 went for 1-21 (27th, 29th, 43rd, 45th and 48th overs).
what do you think about simon jones openning with hoggard, then harmy/freddie/gilo can come on after that

Scaly piscine

I'd probably have Flintoff and Hoggard opening the bowling at the moment. Simon Jones is skiddy - similar to Hoggard, so that's a factor in Flintoff's favour. However Simon Jones genuinely swung the ball (as opposed to reverse swing) for the first time I've seen (against Bangladesh), if he can keep doing that and build up his pace I might give it to him over Flintoff.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
I'd probably have Flintoff and Hoggard opening the bowling at the moment. Simon Jones is skiddy - similar to Hoggard, so that's a factor in Flintoff's favour. However Simon Jones genuinely swung the ball (as opposed to reverse swing) for the first time I've seen (against Bangladesh), if he can keep doing that and build up his pace I might give it to him over Flintoff.
If you reckon Harmison deserves to play, why wouldn't you have him opening the bowling? Surely he wants the ball to be as hard as possible to get as much lift from a length as possible.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Because he's generally not used to it swinging particularly much, more bounce and seam - and in the First Test for sure he seemed uncertain of the movement he was getting, resulting in the new ball being wasted as so many of them didn't force the batsmen to play, whilst with the older ball he was straighter.

Whether that's nowt more than coincedence I don't know, but it's something that did cross my mind watching at Lord's. We'll see what CLS holds first, mind.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
To an extent, yes, but he hasn't disappointed yet.
To an extent? Based on one innings? I'd say were no nearer to seeing whether Bell proves to be quality than we are with KP. But Bell will get the chance to prove it before KP

Scaly piscine

wpdavid said:
If you reckon Harmison deserves to play, why wouldn't you have him opening the bowling? Surely he wants the ball to be as hard as possible to get as much lift from a length as possible.
Looking through the recent games in reverse order first new ball spell (too much faff looking at later overs new ball), Bangladesh he got 1 wicket (9.2 overs), 1 wicket for the whole of the SA series (5.3 overs), 4 in the last Test against WI (9 wickets in the game - 5.6 and 7.3 in the 1st innings, 11.1, 13.2 in the 2nd), none in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd Test. 1 against NZ in the 3 Tests (4.6).

I make that 7 wickets out of 26 new ball spells and most of those wickets were well into his spell. He'd be far more effective coming on after 10-14 overs I think. Not to mention whoever gets the new ball will be more effective than usual.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
bell is more proven internationally because he made 2 reasonably high scores against a poor and an extremely poor bowling attacks on a good pitch? Pietersen proved what talent he has by that ODI series in SA

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
SpeedKing said:
what do you think about simon jones openning with hoggard, then harmy/freddie/gilo can come on after that
no no Hoggard & Harmison opening the bowling is just fine

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
sledger said:
bell has played 2 tests against very poor bowling attacks on a flat pitch mind you :p
he still isn't proven, but surely in the future his immence talent will be fully proven