• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in England

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Not everyone who goes to Oxbridge is a genius, but I'd say it's a fair bet none are stupid.
what is oxbridge? is it short for oxford & cambridge? :)

or is it another big univ in england?

a massive zebra

International Captain
badgerhair said:
However, some of us are less energetic than you and would prefer a pleasant afternoon in the sun watching some good cricketers demonstrating their skills to sitting at home devising ever more bizarre theories to explain why nobody should enjoy cricket or think any of the players are any good.
Haha classic!!! :D

A golden paragraph.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Let me take you back a few years. Specifically to 1999 and the utterly abject performance England put up against New Zealand to become officially the worst team in the world.

I turned up to watch the England-Zimbabwe Test at Lord's in 2000 with some foreboding: although I thought we were strong enough to beat them and frankly ought to wipe the floor with them, I had some queasiness about whether or not England would actually deliver. It was by no means a foregone conclusion.

I find it rather reassuring that this game is a total mismatch. It should be a routine demolition job and it is. And that is a mark of how far we have come in the last six or seven years, because I can certainly remember when this would not have been routine.

Contrary to Richard's ridiculous assertion that this is like watching a county XXII against a club side, what it is actually like is watching a very good Test side coming up against a moderate international U-19 XI. After all, there's only about two or three Bangles who weren't eligible for the U-19s last year, if not this.

Naturally, it's a mismatch, but there is the same interest when watching the underdogs as there is in watching any U-19 side: you want to pick out the guys who are going to be good in years to come, and it looks to me like there are a few in this Bangladesh XI.

We already knew Mortaza and Rafique could bowl to county standard (although Rafique is already looking retirement in the face), but I've been fairly impressed with Aftab Ahmed, Anwar Hossain and especially Mushfiqur Rahim, who will be a big star some years from now.

They mostly haven't done themselves justice, showing that they are still too wide-eyed about being the first Bangladeshi team to play at Lord's Cricket Ground, London NW8. But a number of these young cricketers look pretty good to me and saying they are pathetic is pretty damn simplistic in my book.

Cheers,

Mike

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
What would be gained by Flintoff hammering this around?
Yes, "the kids in the crowd" might've been enthused, but from a cricketing POV... what would have been gained?
Freddie may have improved his first-chance average?

:D

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Voltman said:
Freddie may have improved his first-chance average?

:D
the bang fielders are so butter-fingered that they might have reduced his "first-chance average"... :D

Swervy

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
First one sounds like a charity, second some kind of chemical and the third's outside Nottingham :D
I thought oxcam was a bovine rectal veiwing implement

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not sure what people were actually expecting from Bangladesh, these conditions are totally alien to them and they're playing the second best Test team in the world who are eager to impress before The Ashes. The poor results Bangladesh had at home to NZ and India are more of a concern, it's at home that they should be competing - there is sometimes a fine line between a team getting annihilated and competing, Pakistan and NZ have shown that when they've played Australia.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
badgerhair said:
Let me take you back a few years. Specifically to 1999 and the utterly abject performance England put up against New Zealand to become officially the worst team in the world.

I turned up to watch the England-Zimbabwe Test at Lord's in 2000 with some foreboding: although I thought we were strong enough to beat them and frankly ought to wipe the floor with them, I had some queasiness about whether or not England would actually deliver. It was by no means a foregone conclusion.

I find it rather reassuring that this game is a total mismatch. It should be a routine demolition job and it is. And that is a mark of how far we have come in the last six or seven years, because I can certainly remember when this would not have been routine.

Contrary to Richard's ridiculous assertion that this is like watching a county XXII against a club side, what it is actually like is watching a very good Test side coming up against a moderate international U-19 XI. After all, there's only about two or three Bangles who weren't eligible for the U-19s last year, if not this.

Naturally, it's a mismatch, but there is the same interest when watching the underdogs as there is in watching any U-19 side: you want to pick out the guys who are going to be good in years to come, and it looks to me like there are a few in this Bangladesh XI.

We already knew Mortaza and Rafique could bowl to county standard (although Rafique is already looking retirement in the face), but I've been fairly impressed with Aftab Ahmed, Anwar Hossain and especially Mushfiqur Rahim, who will be a big star some years from now.

They mostly haven't done themselves justice, showing that they are still too wide-eyed about being the first Bangladeshi team to play at Lord's Cricket Ground, London NW8. But a number of these young cricketers look pretty good to me and saying they are pathetic is pretty damn simplistic in my book.

Cheers,

Mike
Good post Mike.

It's common knowledge that the Bangas are a fairly moderate side.

However, like SL, NZ and others before them, they need time and exposure to improve.

The only dangers are in people reading too much into the English performance and/or crucifying the Bangas for their own.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
If you seriously think no-one has ever got into Oxbridge because of large donations from a rich Sultan etc. you really are incredibly naive.
You've suggested every person who has got in is because of that though, which I know for a fact to be a load of rubbish.

shaka

International Regular
poor performance by Bangladesh so far, miracle would not save defeat here. Vaughan and the rest of the crew are likely to be able to play on Sunday with club sides

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Feel sorry for Dav Whatmore - he has an unenviable job with this Team !! :) :p

All they need is to discover a couple of capable batsmen and bowlers who can anchor the Team and make them at least competitive. But that's over simplifying the real lack of depth in their cricket structure.

Taylor

Cricket Spectator
Poor peformance by Bangladesh, and rather remarkably poor bowling figures from Hossain, 12 Overs, 101 Runs. :blink:

I do hope for the sake of Bangladesh, that they have somebody better than this Hossain bloke, as he must have been truly leathered around the ground today.

Great performances from Vaughan & Trescothick, the latter in particular, this bloke has his doubters (me included) but with that knock, my doubts are firmly put away. Ian Bell was very impressive, making his second start for England, and another decent knock (Scored 70 Vs West Indies on debut) and 65 Not Out today, and as a self-confessed Warwickshire fan, and the blistering form hes been in for us this year, this lad has a very, very bright international future.

Also great bowling from Simon Jones, was getting some wicked late movement, which the Banglas' couldn't play at, I think hes now cemented his place as our 4th bowler (a position which has been argued for some time), and with the great bowling from Flintoff who was pounding them in high, shows his injury is showing no ill effects, all of which are major positivies to take into the Ashes tour.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
badgerhair said:
However, some of us are less energetic than you and would prefer a pleasant afternoon in the sun watching some good cricketers demonstrating their skills to sitting at home devising ever more bizarre theories to explain why nobody should enjoy cricket or think any of the players are any good.

Cheers,

Mike
Haha, great post mate.

Richard's gone strangely quiet. :wacko: