• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in England

a massive zebra

International Captain
Strange selection from Bangla. The experienced Baisya and promising Enamul dropped in favour of Shahadat Hossain and Anwar Hossain Monir who have played a combined total of 1 Test and taken no wickets.

Steulen

International Regular
England batting line-up:

Strauss Trescothick Vaughan Bell Thorpe Flintoff G.Jones Batty Hoggard S.Jones Harmison.

as reported by the BBC.

Giles out with a hip injury.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
a massive zebra said:
Strange selection from Bangla. The experienced Baisya and promising Enamul dropped in favour of Shahadat Hossain and Anwar Hossain Monir who have played a combined total of 1 Test and taken no wickets.
Enamul dropped for Shahadat I can agree with. Anwar Hossain Monir...well, he must have impressed in training...

There's no doubt that Tapash Baisya definitely isn't Test standard, though.

a massive zebra

International Captain
I also think Reid should have been selected for this series in place of the other Jones. The Notts man is clearly the best wicketkeeper in the northern hemisphere but could not hold down a Test place because his batting was dire. First and firemost, a keeper needs to have the ability to do his job, but Jones truely is a real liability behind the stumps, and has been since the outset of his Test career. He has scored very few runs recently and this series could have given Reid the opportunity to establish himself as a decent Test batsman.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
a massive zebra said:
I also think Reid should have been selected for this series in place of the other Jones. The Notts man is clearly the best wicketkeeper in the northern hemisphere but could not hold down a Test place because his batting was dire. First and firemost, a keeper needs to have the ability to do his job, but Jones truely is a real liability behind the stumps, and has been since the outset of his Test career. He has scored very few runs recently and this series could have given Reid the opportunity to establish himself as a decent Test batsman.
He looks a bit old to me :p

*/hair splitting mode off*

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Good decision to insert Vaughan at 3, I think. England need someone stable and experienced in there, and Vaughan had to put his hand up and take on the responsibility.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Batty's a very lucky boy. He hasn't exactly started the season in prime form. I hope Ash being rested is a purely precautionary thing. Swann, who may've run Batty close for selection, missed Notts last game thru injury too, so Batty's been doubly fortunate.

Part of me still thinks we shoulda used the chance to give KP a run out & relied on Vaughan & him for a bit of spin. A coupla times in SA I thought 6 looked a place too high for Freddie. No disrespect to Bangla, but they're really the warm up for the main event. Batty won't have a say in the destination of The Ashes; KP at a slight stretch might.

This has been a party political broadcast of behalf of the "Kevin Pietersen for England" party. :D

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Batty's a very lucky boy. He hasn't exactly started the season in prime form. I hope Ash being rested is a purely precautionary thing. Swann, who may've run Batty close for selection, missed Notts last game thru injury too, so Batty's been doubly fortunate.

Part of me still thinks we shoulda used the chance to give KP a run out & relied on Vaughan & him for a bit of spin. A coupla times in SA I thought 6 looked a place too high for Freddie. No disrespect to Bangla, but they're really the warm up for the main event. Batty won't have a say in the destination of The Ashes; KP at a slight stretch might.

This has been a party political broadcast of behalf of the "Kevin Pietersen for England" party. :D
Sounds about right to me. Not that we should need the extra batter against Bang, of course, but we shouldn't need the 5th bowler either. As you say, it's stretching credulity beyond breaking point to see Battty doing a thing against Aus, so why pick him now?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
wpdavid said:
Sounds about right to me. Not that we should need the extra batter against Bang, of course, but we shouldn't need the 5th bowler either. As you say, it's stretching credulity beyond breaking point to see Battty doing a thing against Aus, so why pick him now?
Eases the bowling burden on Flintoff, perhaps? After all, he's just come back from a serious ankle injury?

Plus the: We need a spinner, of course ;)

tooextracool

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
personally i'd play bell and pieterson in the 2nd test and let thorpe have a rest. then theres also the ODIs and really if pieterson does manage to hammer mcgrath and co in those, he'd push himself very close for the first ashes test selection.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
wpdavid said:
Given the loyalty of the selectors and their general intent to give people a "good run" (whatever that actually means for a backup spinner), under what circumstances do you see Batty being given the elbow for non-performance unless he plays? To my way of thinking, the sooner he is exposed as a charlatan (as far as Tests are concerned at least), the better. Let us hope that he gets a good long bowl and that Ashtrayful and Rahim take him to bits.

Cheers,

Mike

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Michael Vaughan wins the toss (shock horror) and puts Bangladesh in on a bright sunny day, Bashar says he would have bowled as well.