• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in Zimbabwe Thread

Revelation

U19 Debutant
Tell me something; whether or not records do get broken in this upcoming series, and i know that the ICC has sanctioned the games officially, but do you think that those records will really be recognised? I mean (and i have nothing against him) suppose Hayden slams 401* vs the current (weakened) Zimbabwe team, do you think he will get the recognition that Lara got? I mean, he didn't get the hype last year when he did it, you think ppl will take it seriously now? I think ppl will still regard Lara's 400* as the record.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Revelation said:
Tell me something; whether or not records do get broken in this upcoming series, and i know that the ICC has sanctioned the games officially, but do you think that those records will really be recognised? I mean (and i have nothing against him) suppose Hayden slams 401* vs the current (weakened) Zimbabwe team, do you think he will get the recognition that Lara got? I mean, he didn't get the hype last year when he did it, you think ppl will take it seriously now? I think ppl will still regard Lara's 400* as the record.
Well if Hayden smashes 401*, then thats the record.

It still takes skill and concentration to be able to bat for that long and he was able to beat Lara's record, then he should still deserve recognition.

But of course there would be debate as to whether Lara or Hayden played the better innings because of the opposition.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ford_GTHO351 said:
Well if Hayden smashes 401*, then thats the record.

It still takes skill and concentration to be able to bat for that long and he was able to beat Lara's record, then he should still deserve recognition.

But of course there would be debate as to whether Lara or Hayden played the better innings because of the opposition.
There would be absolutely no debate at all!

401* against Zimbabwe III, or 400* against England - record in name only.

And neither would come close to Lara's 153* or 212*, Gooch's 154*, Laxman's 281, etc, etc

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
They would still remain as records though.

The fact that Hanif Mohammed's 499 stood for so long is testimony to just how hard it is to break such records - even if it is Lara, even if he's dropped on 14, even if it's against a pre-Harmison Durham, even if the winning runs come off John Morris, for Chrissakes.

If Hayden makes 401 against Zimbabwe, so be it.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I'd still be gutted, though. ;) Especially if I got 399 and I knew the world record was one run ahead and then I played some shot that I knew I could have done differently. Of course anyone would be happy with a 399, but you'd still be gutted that you didn't get those two extra runs to really make the whole thing twice as special and impactive on the world.

Waughney

International Debutant
Depends on how you got out, going for a suicidal quick single or to a good delivery,
But still who would be dissapointed if they got 399.

chicane

State Captain
It's not even first-class level. These guys are gonna be horribly exposed by the Aussies. They score 400 in a day against top teams, what are they going to dish out to these kids? They will pile up ridiculous scores and bowl them out twice in a session. They are going to sink Zim as a test nation.

And what if more than one Aussie breaks the record?! That will be crazy. It shouldn't be recognized at test level IMO.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Wha tif we end up with Hayden breaking the record in the first Test only for Ponting to break it in the scond-it's an absolute farce.

Langeveldt

Soutie
chicane said:
It's not even first-class level. These guys are gonna be horribly exposed by the Aussies. They score 400 in a day against top teams, what are they going to dish out to these kids? They will pile up ridiculous scores and bowl them out twice in a session. They are going to sink Zim as a test nation.

And what if more than one Aussie breaks the record?! That will be crazy. It shouldn't be recognized at test level IMO.
True... The sad thing is that according to the ICC, everything in the garden is pretty much green and rosy.. So these feats will be recognised, no doubt about it...

And if they sink Zimbabwe as a test nation, then so be it, because anything must be better than the status quo..

Langeveldt

Soutie
Judging by the latest Bulawayo scorecard, this Aussie series is going to be very fascinating in a kind of surreal and awful way....

Scallywag

Banned
chicane said:
Yes or no will be fine, do you recognize Muralis record considering it was against these kids.

chicane

State Captain
Scallywag said:
Yes or no will be fine, do you recognize Muralis record considering it was against these kids.
It could've come against a better opposition, but playing against any other team he would've picked up those wickets anyway. The 513 wickets matter more than the 8 wickets he took in this series. Yes it's a commendable feat and should be recognized.

chicane

State Captain
Langeveldt said:
I dont recognise any of Murali's achievements....
That's not on. There's nothing wrong with his off breaks, which account for 90% of his wickets. The doosra situation is unfortunate. There have been several good cricketers in the past who have been called for chucking but they are given credit for what they achieved. (Charlie Griffith, can't remember any other...)