• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in the West Indies 2012

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Is that only my self thinking that there has been a drop in spin playing standards?
No; not at all. I've had this conversation with Spark many times. The aversion to using one's feet other than when hitting over the top is a huge part of it.

in late 90s, bowler like Swann wouldn't have had this success I feel. generally any orthodox finger spinner was played with ease in that era.
When some body mentiones Lyon being a good spinner I cannot help thinking along above lines.
I think you're taking it a little far with points like this though. You don't have to have a lot of unorthodox mystery about you to be a good spinner; orthodox methods have such broad appeal to bowlers because, funnily enough, they will work if you can execute them to elite standards. Swann is a good Test bowler and I firmly believe that with more experience - particularly in terms of workload - Lyon will be of a similar vintage. Test cricket never has and never will just be about presenting something beyond convention; there's a huge place in the game for the man who perfects the traditional arts.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I know. But these guys running through SL middle order in three days twice with regularity is overblown.
No-one was actually saying they would, though. It was an example to show that what people were saying about Narine based on little to no useful evidence was unfounded.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I reckon Lyon will become a quality bowler in time tbh. One because he has such a good action, gets good natural drop and turn, but also because he has guts, more so than most spinners I've seen in recent years. Always a good thing in a spinner, and in a cricketer in general.
with his recent performance he's up to 60.00% of his wickets being tailenders ftr. I would also say he's looking good for best number 11 ever, particularly given his one duck so far came batting at 9

#BowlerBasher

Spark

Global Moderator
with his recent performance he's up to 60.00% of his wickets being tailenders ftr. I would also say he's looking good for best number 11 ever, particularly given his one duck so far came batting at 9

#BowlerBasher
and with this post the chances of lyon taking 7/50 in the next test with 5 top order wickets just shot up tenfold

Spikey

and with this post the chances of lyon taking 7/50 in the next test with 5 top order wickets just shot up tenfold
tbf i've made that point like 5 times now and i'm also now saying it as a joke to piss PEWS off. i can't lose.

TNT

Banned

#BowlerBasher
West Indies could have done with a bowler who could take a tailend wicket in the first innings tbf.

Spikey

As did the chances of him bagging a pair.
if he has to go for 0/100 off 10 overs to avoid a pair then damnit he's going for 0/100

but just on the tailender thing, while he's cleaned up a few bowlers with gimmie wickets, and so he has a tad inflated average, he hasn't looked inept against middle order batsmen or anything. it's just a quriky stat i like, particularly given the contrast with bish00 who has like 55% of his wickets coming from the middle order. he also like lyon is a pretty gun number 11. they're so similar why do we keep on getting in srupid statwars about them just admire them damnit

uvelocity

International Coach
As did the chances of him bagging a pair.
tbf I think the chances are related to how much effort spikey puts into the prediction.

ie a 1 liner like "watson will get 50 and out" is short enough so likely to come true.

But a 4 page essay written with passion, and citing facts is guaranteed to be immediately and embarrasingly proven wrong.

Spikey

tbf I think the chances are related to how much effort spikey puts into the prediction.

ie a 1 liner like "watson will get 50 and out" is short enough so likely to come true.

But a 4 page essay written with passion, and citing facts is guaranteed to be immediately and embarrasingly proven wrong.
God/PEWSbot clearly wants me to stick to humour

WindieWeathers

International Regular

Australian spinners have struggled but I'm yet to see where the WI spinners have done anything at all outside the WI's.
Erm Narine was the best spinner and top two bowler overall in the last champions league which was in IN INDIA!! :huh: , his West Indies debut wasn't bad either which was also in India!!..

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I think you're taking it a little far with points like this though. You don't have to have a lot of unorthodox mystery about you to be a good spinner; orthodox methods have such broad appeal to bowlers because, funnily enough, they will work if you can execute them to elite standards. Swann is a good Test bowler and I firmly believe that with more experience - particularly in terms of workload - Lyon will be of a similar vintage. Test cricket never has and never will just be about presenting something beyond convention; there's a huge place in the game for the man who perfects the traditional arts.
Imo the guy just doesn't have enough tricks up his sleeve to be effective against the best teams, sure he may learn in the future but when i saw Narine and him on the same pitch the other day the difference in class was massive, and Narine is younger than him!! :D , Swann always had star quality but just couldn't settle down in his younger days, i don't see Lyon reaching that level to be honest.