• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in the West Indies 2012

Migara

International Coach
First it was Benn who was going to dismantle Australia (btw where is he now) then it was Bishoo who was going to take Australia apart but it didnt happen so now we have Narine who is yet to play a test and he is going to destroy Australia. Can you see a pattern emerging here.
Some odd claims here. But as a person who has seen a lot of spinners I could say Narine is special talent. Tahir is starting to get in to his act. If you don't believe me just see what will Tahir do on a 4th/5th day Sydney pitch to Aussies. Tahir will be deadly on spinning tracks, if he gets his act together. Both these guys will need some work ethics with a senior spinner to blossom.

Spark

Global Moderator
FTR I think Tahir will come good in the end, but thus far he's been mediocre at best, and should be judged as such. Similarly, there is no guarantee that Narine will do well at first in Tests.

TNT

Banned
Some odd claims here. But as a person who has seen a lot of spinners I could say Narine is special talent. Tahir is starting to get in to his act. If you don't believe me just see what will Tahir do on a 4th/5th day Sydney pitch to Aussies. Tahir will be deadly on spinning tracks, if he gets his act together. Both these guys will need some work ethics with a senior spinner to blossom.
There is also a of talented spinners in the Australian squad, Lyon, Doherty and even Hoggy. Trouble is for these players they will always be compared to Warnie which makes it easy to call them crap.They dont get to many opportunities to bowl on tracks prepared for spinners.

West Indies are churning out spinners who look great and get good returns at home but when conditions become a bit less favorable they dont seem to have the ability to overcome them. Narine to me needs to at least play a test match first and then perform competently in a variety of conditions to put himself above any other test player. I'm not saying he is crap but until he walks the walk there is no point talking the talk.

I could just say there wont be a 4/5th day in Sydney, Cummins and Pattison will clean you up in three. Thats why it is silly to start bigging players up on what you want them to do instead of bigging them up on what they have done.

Spark

Global Moderator
There is also a of talented spinners in the Australian squad, Lyon, Doherty and even Hoggy. Trouble is for these players they will always be compared to Warnie which makes it easy to call them crap.They dont get to many opportunities to bowl on tracks prepared for spinners.

West Indies are churning out spinners who look great and get good returns at home but when conditions become a bit less favorable they dont seem to have the ability to overcome them. Narine to me needs to at least play a test match first and then perform competently in a variety of conditions to put himself above any other test player. I'm not saying he is crap but until he walks the walk there is no point talking the talk.

I could just say there wont be a 4/5th day in Sydney, Cummins and Pattison will clean you up in three. Thats why it is silly to start bigging players up on what you want them to do instead of bigging them up on what they have done.
inb4spikeyexplodes

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
inb4spikeyexplodes
I've reported the message, and I'll leave it there

But it's worth pointing out that Narine has only played 6 FC games, and he was a non-factor in the first three. He's clearly talented, but it's a huge step up from playing in the WI 4 day comp on pitches that are terrible for anything but spin, and international cricket

Migara

International Coach

Odd claims BTW. And i don't think that Pattinson and Cummins could clean up a middle order of Sanga, MJ, Sam and Mathews twice in three days.

As I said earlier Narine, Shillingford, and Bishoo looks better than any spinner Aussies have at the moment. I'd say even IND / SL spinners don't look that promising. Whether they'll turn good or not is another story, but they haave bigger chance of suceeding than any of the current Aussie spinners.

Spark

Global Moderator
I reckon Lyon will become a quality bowler in time tbh. One because he has such a good action, gets good natural drop and turn, but also because he has guts, more so than most spinners I've seen in recent years. Always a good thing in a spinner, and in a cricketer in general.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I reckon Lyon will become a quality bowler in time tbh. One because he has such a good action, gets good natural drop and turn, but also because he has guts, more so than most spinners I've seen in recent years. Always a good thing in a spinner, and in a cricketer in general.
Make more posts like this and I'll stop calling you out on your infatuation with Stuart Broad.

To be fair to you though at least Stuart Broad is a real person.

Migara

International Coach
Is that only my self thinking that there has been a drop in spin playing standards?

in late 90s, bowler like Swann wouldn't have had this success I feel. generally any orthodox finger spinner was played with ease in that era. Only wrist spinners, unorthodox ones and ones with doosra survived the onslaught. as far as I know, in SL the change has begun. Sanga and Mathews are **** against spin, and so is few other newer batsmen. The days of Ranatunga, Gurusinha and Tillekaratne are gone, where they methodically tackled finger spin.

When some body mentiones Lyon being a good spinner I cannot help thinking along above lines.

TNT

Banned
Odd claims BTW. And i don't think that Pattinson and Cummins could clean up a middle order of Sanga, MJ, Sam and Mathews twice in three days.

As I said earlier Narine, Shillingford, and Bishoo looks better than any spinner Aussies have at the moment. I'd say even IND / SL spinners don't look that promising. Whether they'll turn good or not is another story, but they haave bigger chance of suceeding than any of the current Aussie spinners.

Australian spinners have struggled but I'm yet to see where the WI spinners have done anything at all outside the WI's.