• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Great day for SA again... thank you Elgar and Duminy for making my day.

Just had a friend ask why SA don`t drop Amla to bring in Rillee?.... I think the look on my face answered his question!
A bit like Pakistan fans wanting to drop Azhar Ali for Sharjeel :laugh: laugh:

We all go through it

Bahseph

International Debutant
I've been surprised by Smith's usage of Lyon. Especially his non usage in the first session with two lefties in. Even if he feels like Lyon isn't a wicket taker, surely you throw the ball to him when nothing is happening for your quicks. You can't say he doesn't do a job for you when he doesn't even bowl.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Three hundred ****ing eighty and you would feel uncomfortable?!?!! Steyn is not there but no way it's happening in this pitch by this australian batting line up
I've been having this conversation the entire day with my friend. I want 500 plus. Why do you think 380 is enough? Despite the collapse, I still won't rule out the ability of Australian batsmen to pile up in their own conditions. Secondly, SA will have 3 very tired bowlers, and Duminy getting smashed around. I would want a healthy cushion and 380 does not give me that

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Want to see Smith bowl his tripe.
And De Kock to get fastest test century

Both these teams seem to prefer playing each other away from home. It's kind of bizarre, but refreshing.
It's one of the bizarre things about South Africa

They have won twice in England - 2008 and 2012, yet lost to England twice as well in 2004 and 2015 and only drew 1-1 in 2009.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1. Elgar
2. Bavuma
3. Amla
4. Duminy
5. de Villiers
6. du Plessis
7. de Kock +
8. Philander
9. Maharaj
10. Rabada
11. Morkel

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant

They have won twice in England - 2008 and 2012, yet lost to England twice as well in 2004 and 2015 and only drew 1-1 in 2009.
If we backed out home record with our away record it would have been an even more legendary era.

Red Wingz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Great day for SA again... thank you Elgar and Duminy for making my day.

Just had a friend ask why SA don`t drop Amla to bring in Rillee?.... I think the look on my face answered his question!
Amla wont be the juggernaut of old.He will get a few hundreds here and there

He got two good deliveries so can't write him off

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain

True, but the situations were vastly different.

In 2004/05, the SA team had Steyn on debut, AB on debut, Amla in his first home series and various others of the previous generation on their last legs. Against the same England side that won the Ashes shortly after. England were far the better team but still could only manage the series win following a major batting collapse in the at the Wanderers (i think) on the final day.

The 2009 series that finished 1-1 was something of an aberration. First Test, England out classed but hang on nine-down on the final day with Graham Onions surviving the last half hour. Proteas proceed to get comfortable beaten at Kingsmead, our worst home ground. Third Test, Proteas again clearly the better team and one again that man Onions with England being nine down. Fourth Test at the Wanderers Proteas win by an innings.

2015 Series - well England deserved to win in the post Kallis/Smith era.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia has been collapsing periodically for nigh on a decade. There's a good reason for it: the batsmen aren't that good. You look at blokes like Voges, wasn't in the mix 10-15 years ago. Wouldn't have made a second eleven. Khawaja and Burns would barely have played Shield. It's just a lean patch of batting