• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh:

Cant write 10 words one day, delivers the cricketing equivalent of the State of the Union Address the next
Yes mate, Pattinson (a young player with the world at his feet) is going to come out reading a prepared statement saying you're all a bunch of ****s

Anyway, for the record, what did one of the other players (i.e. Watson) say about the punishment?
To be fair to Pattinson, I saw him delivering some of those quotes in a TV interview where he wasn't reading off notes.

uvelocity

International Coach
'ive been playing against and with michael clarke since i was twelve years old. so we go way back. further back than this rugby guy who has only been in cricket for a year and a half.'

or something to that effect

pup11

International Coach
I won't be surprised if Haddin plays in the next test purely as a batsman in case Wade is fit to play, also there is no point in flying Haddin all the to way to India to just warm the bench especially when we as a team are so light on experience.

1.Cowan
2.Warner
3.Hughes
4.Clarke
5.Haddin
6.Wade
7.Henriques
8.Starc
9.Siddle
10.Lyon
11.Doherty

That will be my XI from the available players, but for the conditions in Mohali we definitely needed an extra fast bowler instead of two spinners and that is something that could trouble us through the game, the amazing thing is a guy like Bird left the squad almost two weeks ago yet the selectors didn't feel it was necessary to send a replacement for him, that extra bowling option certainly could have come in handy at this point.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
I won't be surprised if Haddin plays in the next test purely as a batsman in case Wade is fit to play, also there is no point in flying Haddin all the to way to India to just warm the bench especially when we as a team are so light on experience.

1.Cowan
2.Warner
3.Hughes
4.Clarke
5.Haddin
6.Wade
7.Henriques
8.Starc
9.Siddle
10.Lyon
11.Doherty

That will be my XI from the available players, but for the conditions in Mohali we definitely needed an extra fast bowler instead of two spinners and that is something that could trouble us through the game, the amazing thing is a guy like Bird left the squad almost two weeks ago yet the selectors didn't feel it was necessary to send a replacement for him, that extra bowling option certainly could have come in handy at this point.
If your going to play Haddin at least play him as the keeper Wade's ****ing appalling

the big bambino

International Captain
The coach can't go around saying "and if you don't do it I'll send you home." After every instruction he gives.

According to management theory he can't even mention the penalty for non compliance for important tasks as otherwise his less important tasks that he doesn't mention a penalty for, that are still non optional, will be ignored. Furthermore going around issuing instructions and saying "do this or else" in any circumstance is not recommended as it alienates people. You can argue that the coach has alienated more people by punishing people without a warning. But he would simply lose control of the team and people would escalate complaints about him if he used "or else" statements even it was only every now and again and certainly if it was a habit.
First up its fair to say the players are aware of what is a sackable offence and this isn't one of them. So an exception could be made to explain the severity of the consequences on this occasion.

Bcos its an exception he's obliged to communicate something to the players. But as you say such threats lose impact over time. But not informing and then punishing people also alienates them. You say that too. So if he only thought about it he'd realise he was in a double bind. Logically then he would have abandoned the whole process accordingly or tried to get the response he wanted by another method. He didn't. So he has to wear the criticism for the exercise and its fall out.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Whatever may happen at the end of all this, the whole episode is going to have the worst repercussions for Australian school children..

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
'ive been playing against and with michael clarke since i was twelve years old. so we go way back. further back than this rugby guy who has only been in cricket for a year and a half.'

or something to that effect
seems like Howard knows Watson better than Watson knows himself

pup11

International Coach
Don't get this whole ''he's a rugby guy'' nonsense, Howard is a perfomance manager and the end of the day his work will be analysed by his employers and if they don't find it satisfactory enough then he will be shown the door, someone like Mike Young played a big part in making a good Australian fielding unit turn into an outstanding fielding unit, but at that time nobody complained that he was a baseball guy.

It gives me no pride to say this about an Australian player but at this juncture of their respective careers both Watson and Johnson seem to have money as the 'only' motivation behind them playing for Australia, their conduct before and after this episode has made that all too clear for everyone to see.

It took guys like Howard and Arthur sometime but at least they have taken some action now and if nothing else this episode could work as a wake-up call for every player involved in the national set-up and put the message across that a lethargic attitude is no longer going to be tolerated.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Johnson, the guy who repeatedly avoided the IPL?

There's plenty of things to criticise him about, but not sure being a money chaser is one.