• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

auscricket

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I cherished every moment. So much for "the ashes is coming home". Nothing better than sticking it to the poms, although I hope the next matches are closer than that, to make it more interesting. 4-1 all over again wouldn't be fun.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Bloody beautiful mate! The convicts have done it again. :D

Warne and McGrath are legends of the game.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
luckyeddie said:
I hear that we are bringing in a new Act of Parliament, and that legspin is to be re-classified as witchcraft.

Warney will be burned at the stake next week.
Along with the ginger and steds?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
The Aussies were still unlucky I feel in some areas, so to win by that margin is amazing.

And that English press guy - what a loser. 'How does it feel getting Hoggard out last?" Don`t feed the troll, tit-for-breath.

Entrael

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Nnanden said:
The Aussies were still unlucky I feel in some areas, so to win by that margin is amazing.

And that English press guy - what a loser. 'How does it feel getting Hoggard out last?" Don`t feed the troll, tit-for-breath.
I found it a little amusing especially after what hoggard has said about mcgrath

Oh and the press guy is Michael atherton another one of mcgraths bunnies

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Top_Cat said:
Y'know, you can't, and shouldn't try to make everyone bowl with an 'orthodox' action. It seems to me, based on the way his body seems to move, that this might be the most natural action for him. He's got strong arm and shoulders but he doesn't have long arms or seemingly much flexibility in them. Forcing him to straighten his head and get the front-arm up higher could make him a far lesser bowler. And I've got to say that I saw him bowl in both innings and I would definitely say that he was way more consistently accurate than Hoggard was and Hoggard has a more orthodox action. And on other occasions I've seen him bowl, although he has inaccurate spells occasionally, generally he's pretty good for a guy who's always trying to get the ball up there to swing it and at serious pace.

His action surprisingly works for him and I think any tinkering with it could potentially make him less accurate and effective and in fact, could cause him injuries. Bowling actions are about striking a balance between how the bowler naturally bowls with some measure of othodoxy to minimise injuries.

That, I think, is an optical illusion brought upon by the respective lengths. A 150km/h ball pitched up looks slower than a 135km/h ball pitched short.
I agree that you cant make everyone orthodox and that you certainly shouldnt tamper too much with someone that's already test class.

However, simple remediation work on his front arm shouldnt confuse him too much. After all, 50% of the time he gets it absolutely right. Consistency is all he needs.

Scaly piscine

Nnanden said:

Simon Jones was out last, so a typical comment from England's worst ever captain.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah i have to admit we were fairly mullered in that match, over the last year or two, England have developed this boncebackability and all that they have achieved in the last 20 months will be on the line in the next match, they simply have to win, I dont believe they can come back from 2 down to even get a draw. If they lose this series, alot of momentum will have been knocked out out them and that is what it is all about for England. Well at the end of the day, i am not too ashamed to be pummelled by the best team around with their old guard at their best [Hoggard eat your words]. The only positive is that we will not play at Lords again so we wont have to face McGrath from the Pavillion end ever again. Another is that Shane Warne didn''t get a 5-for [he has never got one at Lords and never will], and Oh yeah maybe Pietersen, before this innings, i told myself that Pietersen had to score atleast 70 runs to negate "that drop". he missed out by three, so i am not thoroughly impressed. However, i was impressed with Strauss and Trescthick, i believe that if England will succeed in not being whitewashed this summer, alot will have to be done by the openning pair. Tres looked focused and Strauss' pulll was back [not really seen him play that shot since SA. Hoping/ looking forward to a better show next week.

I think we will have a chance if the bowlers bowl like themselves and not try and immitate McGrath. It was evedent, that Englanddidn't have that same aggression that they had in the 1st innings, They all tried to put the ball on the spot but they are not all glenn McGraths and will never be. This link shows that they didn't barrage Clarke with enough bouncers like they did in the first innings, almost no runs behind square. some one needs to go and tell Flintoff and Harmy that they aint line and length merchants, they are brutal hit the deck bowlers.

http://content.cricinfo.com/engvaus/content/story/214093.html

Thats my view of the first test

Yours sincerely

Speedking

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
I made the point to him and he didn't deny it.
C'mon Marc, lets not see your nose grow....I welcome you to find ANY previous posts of mine where I've stated I'm jealous or where I've even said Flintoff isn't a good player. The only thing i've always maintained is that as a test cricketer ...he is overated ...nothing more nothing less.

How that translates to jealously is beyond me .....must be in your little fantasy Marc.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
social said:
I agree that you cant make everyone orthodox and that you certainly shouldnt tamper too much with someone that's already test class.

However, simple remediation work on his front arm shouldnt confuse him too much. After all, 50% of the time he gets it absolutely right. Consistency is all he needs.
sorry i have not been reading the thread so who are you talking about, my guess is that it is Simon Jones

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
zinzan12 said:
C'mon Marc, lets not see your nose grow....I welcome you to find ANY previous posts of mine where I've stated I'm jealous or where I've even said Flintoff isn't a good player. The only thing i've always maintained is that as a test cricketer ...he is overated ...nothing more nothing less.

How that translates to jealously is beyond me .....must be in your little fantasy Marc.
I dont think he is overrated but it is just because he is arguably a better batsman that Gerraint Jones that is why he is batting at 6. Remember when Stewart was playing, he was the lesser batter so betted at no 7. IMHO Simle As

social

SpeedKing said:
sorry i have not been reading the thread so who are you talking about, my guess is that it is Simon Jones
Yep, last in a no. of posts in response to others that thought he should be dropped.

social

Everyone should obtain a copy of an interview with Glenn McGrath that was published in a weekend paper after he'd taken his 500th wicket.

On the secret of his success.

"The most difficult thing is to keep it as simple as possible. If it's simple, it can be repeated."

Hardly ground-breaking, but the formula for success in everything.

On bowling.

"I try to hit the top of off stump with 90% of my deliveries. No batsman likes it there."

On movement.

"Swing it 2 feet and the batsman plays and misses. Move it half a bat's width and it takes the edge. Fortunately, I cant swing it 2 feet."

On bounce (and this one's for Richard)

"Bounce is the most difficult thing to combat - not swing, not seam, not turn. Every international batsmen I've spoken to nominates bounce."

Young bowlers should cut the article out and memorize it.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
How damn shocking are the English press?

Great way to encourage your side... and unfortunately, I think it will only get worse. I feel so sorry for them. If anything, criticise the selectors!

social

Nnanden said:
How damn shocking are the English press?

Great way to encourage your side... and unfortunately, I think it will only get worse. I feel so sorry for them. If anything, criticise the selectors!
Read "The Times" this morning.

Article by Simon Barnes was pathetic.

Typical of the Pommy press - overkill whether they lose or win.

I knew the handbag thing would come back to bite them on the ****.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Scaly piscine said:
And that concludes the most pathetic disgraceful display of batting (bar one player) I've seen in a long time.
Some bad shots played, but mostly Warne, McGrath and also Lee bowled very very well.
Similarly when we bowl sides out cheaply it is (generally) because GBH, Fred and Hoggy bowl very very well.

Few tings:
The Lords groundsman will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes
Why have Bill Lawry and Thommo suddenly started posting on CW?
G.Jones can't keep, C.Read can't bat, time for M.Prior?
What a spell from McGrath, that's where the west was won IMO
<opitmistic mode>Warne can be played, as KP proved, others need to learn from his knock<optimistic mode>
The Lords groundsman will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes ("yeah I let it dry out a bit too much, it's more like a day three wicket here on the first day". Thanks a lot you... you....you stinker!!)
Tres and Strauss played pretty well second dig. Yes. Good.
Vaughan is going to practice in the nets. Goody.
I still have half a bottle of Pimm's left over from Friday :cool:
One of my chums left 5 bottles of Corona behind on Friday :cool:
Geoff is still a splendid 'un.
Saw Luke Sutton in Tesco's, said hello. He said hello too. :cool:
If, if England can play at near 100% they can run this Aussie side close.
If, if I kidnap Glenn McGrath.
And show him my pink piglet.

Well done Aussies, super crickeet that. Wake up England you can do better.

There're plenty of proper analysts on here, I can't be @rsed today chaps.