• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
King_Ponting said:
Seam like it always does, i assume. And thats probably a good thing. the only way i see england winning the next match is if the curators dish up a green top and negate the warne effect. Theyre not really losing out as giles is a rubbish spinner and they could drop giles for a batsman and go in with a four prong pace attack. Thats their best chance of winning next match
I'd avoid too green a top but pour a few tons of concrete and just re-create Bodyline - see if Harmy can fix the other cheek.

A green top won't help. There's no point.

Although it might make England's bowlers fractionally better It'll also just mean Mcgrath finishes with about 20 for 10 in the match :laugh:

You'll bowl Aus out for under 200, cool. They will then bowl you out for under 100.

Accept it.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:
I'd avoid too green a top but pour a few tons of concrete and just re-create Bodyline - see if Harmy can fix the other cheek.
Sounds good to me. Also make sure there's no seam on the ball, so McGrath can't cheat and keep moving it about so much.

aussie said:
but with reference to the wrest of the series, based on how England have played Warne today, MacGill showed be seriously considered in my view.
I absolutely agree. I would bring him in for the next test, with the intention of sticking with it for the rest of the series.

England have and still are suspect against the msyteries of leg and wrist spin.

And although they are the same type of bowler, they bring different aspects of the art to the table.

The huge rip and googlys of Macgill combined with the varying degree's of spin and the slider of Warne will destroy them.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shane Warne said:
I absolutely agree. I would bring him in for the next test, with the intention of sticking with it for the rest of the series.

England have and still are suspect against the msyteries of leg and wrist spin.

And although they are the same type of bowler, they bring different aspects of the art to the table.

The huge rip and googlys of Macgill combined with the varying degree's of spin and the slider of Warne will destroy them.
I hear that we are bringing in a new Act of Parliament, and that legspin is to be re-classified as witchcraft.

Warney will be burned at the stake next week.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
except that flintoff wasnt much of a bowler back then, and his luck more or less evened out in SL and in the WI thereafter.
Flintoff vs SA in 2003 was extremely unlucky.

chipmonk

U19 Debutant
Scallywag said:
Everytime England start loosing PY tries to introduce a bit of flamebait to move the focus of Englands performance.

PY you really need to be a bit more humble in defeat instead of loosing your rag and trying to inflame others. Take it like a man (or woman or whatever you are).

Being a moderator you have a responsibility to show the others how to post without being a tool. I know its hard not lash out but if you cant do it then how do you expect others not to.

So stop being a moron and accept defeat with a bit of grace.

Yeah yeah I know you will run off to James crying because I called you a moron, but mate you are such a slow witted dip shlt. :D :D :D
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I just can't believe my eye's ...... Advice from the "unanimously undisputed troll" to post in CW.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
chipmonk said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I just can't believe my eye's ...... Advice from the "unanimously undisputed troll" to post in CW.
I'm amazed he spelled 'moron' correctly - twice.

I guess he does read the posts aimed at him.

Bless you, Scallywag. I really missed you the last couple of weeks, although I did go to the National Seal Sanctuary last Wednesday. That's about the same thing, isn't it?

Scallywag

Banned
luckyeddie said:
Bless you, Scallywag. I really missed you the last couple of weeks, although I did go to the National Seal Sanctuary last Wednesday. That's about the same thing, isn't it?
Poms tend to do that dont they. When England play Australia most of the poms go of to seal sanctuarys to avoid whats unfolding on the cricket field.

Good luck for the second test LE, where you going to spent it, looking at old coal mines.

:D :D :D

social

Whilst it's good to be 1-up, part of me was hoping for a closer tussle (200 + runs in little more than 3 days is an absolute thrashing in anyone's language).

BTW, this feeling seems to be shared by many Australians (Scally and Shane Warne apart).

On Saturday night, I was in a corporate box at an AFL match with 9 other blokes. Despite the fact that the game outside was close and exciting, 90% of our time was spent indoors watching the cricket whilst sucking on a few beers. Most Australians seem genuinely interested in seeing whether the Poms can challenge our boys (n.b. "challenge" not "beat).

Hopefully, the English selectors will keep the faith with those that have got them to no. 2 in the world.

BTW, those calling for the axing of Simon Jones - give me a break. Bowlers that can swing the ball at up to 90 mph are very few and far between. He will be inconsistent until he sorts his action out but when he gets it right, he causes the batsmen all sorts of problems.

The only players under immediate (as Ive said before), should be Geraint (if they're certain he isnt the long-term solution) and Giles (who should be in the 12 but only played where conditions warrant it).

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
I reckon England will bounce back pretty hard after this match. They're a good cricket side and definately the ones who will challenge Australia the most. The first day of the next test will decide how the rest of the Ashes go.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
social said:
BTW, those calling for the axing of Simon Jones - give me a break. Bowlers that can swing the ball at up to 90 mph are very few and far between. He will be inconsistent until he sorts his action out but when he gets it right, he causes the batsmen all sorts of problems.
For a guy who does bowl 90 mph, he does have a very low front arm...

social

vic_orthdox said:
For a guy who does bowl 90 mph, he does have a very low front arm...
It's not only low but in the wrong position.

This causes him to duck his head (on occasion), leading to inaccuracy, and reduces his height at the bowling crease.

This can be sorted out over time.

In the meantime, he'll bowl great balls and ordinary balls in almost equal measure.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not only low but in the wrong position.

This causes him to duck his head (on occasion), leading to inaccuracy, and reduces his height at the bowling crease.

This can be sorted out over time.

In the meantime, he'll bowl great balls and ordinary balls in almost equal measure.
Y'know, you can't, and shouldn't try to make everyone bowl with an 'orthodox' action. It seems to me, based on the way his body seems to move, that this might be the most natural action for him. He's got strong arm and shoulders but he doesn't have long arms or seemingly much flexibility in them. Forcing him to straighten his head and get the front-arm up higher could make him a far lesser bowler. And I've got to say that I saw him bowl in both innings and I would definitely say that he was way more consistently accurate than Hoggard was and Hoggard has a more orthodox action. And on other occasions I've seen him bowl, although he has inaccurate spells occasionally, generally he's pretty good for a guy who's always trying to get the ball up there to swing it and at serious pace.

His action surprisingly works for him and I think any tinkering with it could potentially make him less accurate and effective and in fact, could cause him injuries. Bowling actions are about striking a balance between how the bowler naturally bowls with some measure of othodoxy to minimise injuries.

Jones doesn't look that fast. It's deceptive.

To me, even Mcgrath looks faster.
That, I think, is an optical illusion brought upon by the respective lengths. A 150km/h ball pitched up looks slower than a 135km/h ball pitched short.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
nope the selectors obviously believe that the players to have the most impact on this series are the ones who dont have 'scars' from past ashes defeats, like dozens of players who were tried in the 90s and early 2000s and failed miserably against australia.
im afraid even a bunch of 2 year olds can do graveney and the rest of the selectors jobs better than what they do, which means that even the australian selectors are currently having a laugh at their expense(probably with a beer in their hand)
well after this defeat blokes like Bell, KP & Strauss can be safely added to that list...