• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Id like to know why the umpires judge with their eyes, when its fairly simple to go out there and check with the light meter. Takes out the grey area.

howardj

International Coach
social said:
That is ridiculous.

Warne on from one end and Clarke about to bowl from the other. Just who was going to be in physical danger from that attack?
You have to take a reality check on that though. It's not all about physical danger, otherwise spinners could bowl until mid-night, couldn't they?

Having said that, I really think some umpires are full of self-importance, and are too keen to impose themselves on the game. The idea that the batsmen - with Warne and Katich bowling - could not pick up a new ball to the extent that it jeopardised their wicket, is so divorced from reality, that it is frightening.

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
Scaly piscine said:
Cough, whinging on radio about umpiring decisions, appealing vehemently after the umpire says not out, ranting at the umpire and opposition coach, harassing the umpire after every very good shout is turned down.
*cough* bodyline

Slow Love™

International Captain
It's true that the interpretation of the light decisions is ridiculous, but it's been this way for pretty much as long as I've been watching cricket.

Umpires have always been more tolerant if you have spinners working at both ends, but even then, there is always a limit in terms of light quality at which they will go off anyway. The only way you could have a real grievance specific to this match is if somehow, they went off on a reading that was more (in terms of more light) than they generally would. According to Mark Nicholas, the rule has been changed on this to reflect the long-standing interpretation umpires have been using, and the word "physical" has been removed from where "danger" is mentioned, which I guess means "danger of not seeing the ball enough to defend your wicket".

And TBH, I think the Aussies would have gone off it was offered, too.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
It's not fair, to make us try and read Warne in this light, fair enough it's not going to kill the batsman, but it's an unfair advantage that Australia would be gaining.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
And TBH, I think the Aussies would have gone off it was offered, too.
Quite right, I think Ponting would have gone off too, although I don't think Taylor or Waugh would have.

That's not the point though, with spin from both ends the light shouldn't have been offered.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Channel 4 picking out completely the wrong part of the law there, there is somethin about danger

but

(b)If at any time the umpires together agree that the condition of the ground, weather or light is not suitable for play, they shall inform the captains and, unless
(i) in unsuitable ground or weather conditions both captains agree to continue, or to commence, or to restart play,
or (ii) in unsuitable light the batting side wishes to continue, or to commence, or to restart play,
they shall suspend play, or not allow play to commence or to restart
noticibly when they put the one about danger on screen they left out the part where is says "notwithstanding b"

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
superkingdave said:
IIRC the law was changed to remove 'physical danger' from it, England fell foul of this in SA
Nope, still states physical danger to batsmen, fielders and umpires.

I dont blame the batsmen, they did absolutely the right thing but that was a nonsensical decision.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
social said:

I dont blame the batsmen, they did absolutely the right thing but that was a nonsensical decision.
as above it does say that in a different part of the law

Slow Love™

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Quite right, I think Ponting would have gone off too, although I don't think Taylor or Waugh would have.

That's not the point though, with spin from both ends the light shouldn't have been offered.
You are right, and it shouldn't. My point is that it's the norm - some of the commentators are reacting as if this is was a controversial decision, just because two spinners were operating. But they do it all the time.

social

Jamee999 said:
It's not fair, to make us try and read Warne in this light, fair enough it's not going to kill the batsman, but it's an unfair advantage that Australia would be gaining.
Wouldnt make any difference, they cant pick him in broad daylight :D

steds

Hall of Fame Member
greg said:
It was pitch black out there, man! The umpires even gave them a bit of leeway - and McGrath responded by bowling a bouncer!
a) It IS NOT pitch black. If that's pitch black, Merseyside must only see the light of day about 40 days a year.

b) Remember England winning in the dark in Pakistan? If they didn't go off then, why go off now? This is double standards and hypocritical by the England team.

c) If I paid good money to go and watch the deciding Ashes test, and the batsmen ran off at the first sight of clouds, I'd be mighty ****ed off. You have to remember that the main reason for professional cricket is entertainment, and they aren't entertaining anyone when sat in a pavilion

Scaly piscine

social said:

There are other criteria, it doesn't just go on that one.

It's too dark to be considered fair to the batsmen. Atherton completely missing the point as per usual.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Wouldnt make any difference, they cant pick him in broad daylight :D
That's not the point any you know it, we won't be able to see the ball coming out of Clarke's hand, and that's just stupid!