• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
Slow Love™ said:
$20 says Damien Martyn will not be dropped as a result of his form this series (by this, I mean he will continue to play tests from this point providing he is fit to play). We can email each other our bank details once the bet has been resolved.

Besides the fact that he hasn't played well, he's also copped some rotten decisions when he's looked like something. But even if he'd continually failed completely independent of that factor, I don't think he'd be in line for the immediate chop.

I think there's still an argument to be had about dropping Hayden (even in spite of this innings), but I don't think the selectors will do that, either.
I think the Aussie selectors owe him one. I need not remind you of that test against the suddies in sydney.

howardj

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
$20 says Damien Martyn will not be dropped as a result of his form this series (by this, I mean he will continue to play tests from this point providing he is fit to play). We can email each other our bank details once the bet has been resolved.

You're on.

I'm good for it.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah. I think the batsman closest to being dropped now would be Katich, even though he's been okay this series he's not a favourite and Hodge is knocking on the door. Next in line would be Hayden despite this innings, then you get to the guys who might have weak case but won't even be considered like Gilchrist, Clarke and Martyn. Langer and Ponting are the safest.

Martyn had a brilliant time in the subcontinent, a solid Australian summer, a good tour of New Zealand, and was good in the NatWest Series. He's scored a 50 and got some starts this series, and got two shocking decisions. There's no way in the world they would even consider dropping him.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Demolition Man said:
Penny 'pigeon head' is on, who is off the field for England ?
GBH

Umpires discussing bad light already... good for England as the forecasts say 100% cloud for all of the remaining play today.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
howardj said:
When there has been massive underperformance, and we've just lost the Ashes, and the side has a high average age, they're not going to retain the same personnel - clearly. But we'll have to agree to disagree, and let time be the judge.
Good call. You could say Im somewhat talking from the heart... but then again, I would say the same about any batsman (even, well, Katich....).

Mister Wright

Terrible from Clarke and extra terrible from Flintoff. Could Flintoff of just dropped the Ashes?

Is that shot from Hayden a sign of things to come?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Matt!! That was a glorious drive.

Shocking drop from Flintoff, he's usually great in the slips and he's dropped two sitters this series.

Slow Love™

International Captain
In spite of the fact that Clarke's lucky to still be out there after that slash, I think this is the right strategy for Australia - the light's not good at all, and you have to be worried about lost time. So we really need to go after the bowling while we're out there. Hayden's looking pretty good right now, and Clarke is always capable of upping the scoring rate.

I do think we're going to have to use up the day though if possible, 'cause if England get in, they're going to be off like a shot if that light gets offered. I'm not sure there's any point in declaring before stumps.

Scaly piscine

Slow Love™ said:
In spite of the fact that Clarke's lucky to still be out there after that slash, I think this is the right strategy for Australia - the light's not good at all, and you have to be worried about lost time. So we really need to go after the bowling while we're out there. Hayden's looking pretty good right now, and Clarke is always capable of upping the scoring rate.

I do think we're going to have to use up the day though if possible, 'cause if England get in, they're going to be off like a shot if that light gets offered. I'm not sure there's any point in declaring before stumps.
If Australia have to bat all day because of the offer of bad light then there's not much point having a swing at half of the deliveries in the first hour and then get another batsman in who won't be able to see the ball properly.