• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

howardj

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Mind you, how much of that extra time they get to use will be debateable because they made a rod for their own back on Day 2 by taking the light which means when it gets to that stage England can be offered it, and I think it's pretty much a no brainer decision.
Australia taking the light, has no bearing on whether England will be offered the light in similar conditions. If Australia did not accept the offer of light, it doesn't mean that England - when they are batting and it's just as dark - won't be offered it. There's no relationship between Australia's decision and any subsequent offer to England.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Boy, that was a dumb-looking throwaway shot from Martyn - by the look on his face though, he was obviously surprised by the bounce.

Still, very poor. His intentions were very confusing.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
You've just seen Damien Martyn's last shot in Test cricket.

Thanks for the memories, Marto. :(
no way this is the first series Marto has struggled in for a while i cant see him being dropped.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Giles' 23rd over finally produces a maiden, no matter how good/lucky the batting has been that's not very good for a finger spinner.

cameeel

International Captain
Besides, the selectors seem to currently not like dropping under-performing batsmen, no problem with dropping bowlers though

howardj

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
There's no way he's gonna be dropped.
The idea that nobody is going to pay the price for the poor batting in this series, and the consequent loss of the Ashes, is ludicrous. Selectors always view things in a dimmer light after a series has been lost.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
howardj said:
The idea that nobody is going to pay the price for the poor batting in this series, and the consequent loss of the Ashes, is ludicrous. Selectors always view things in a dimmer light after a series has been lost.
Just because its the Ashes doesnt mean having a bad tour is any worse than usual. Its one shocker series, thats all.

Slow Love™

International Captain
howardj said:
$20 says Damien Martyn will not be dropped as a result of his form this series (by this, I mean he will continue to play tests from this point providing he is fit to play). We can email each other our bank details once the bet has been resolved.

Besides the fact that he hasn't played well, he's also copped some rotten decisions when he's looked like something. But even if he'd continually failed completely independent of that factor, I don't think he'd be in line for the immediate chop.

I think there's still an argument to be had about dropping Hayden (even in spite of this innings), but I don't think the selectors will do that, either.

howardj

International Coach
Linda said:
Just because its the Ashes doesnt mean having a bad tour is any worse than usual. Its one shocker series, thats all.
When there has been massive underperformance, and we've just lost the Ashes, and the side has a high average age, they're not going to retain the same personnel - clearly. But we'll have to agree to disagree, and let time be the judge.