• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Slow Love™

International Captain
chalky said:
Australia go off for bad light again although a bit more understandable than yesterday (just lost a wicket only five overs to go etc) is it still negative captaincy/coaching? (I noticed Macgill on the pitch with instructions from the drssing room just before they went off). I think it is and doubt very much if a Steve Waugh side would have came off yesterday or toady in same situation. Anyway this could come back to bite Australia on the ar@e if they have England 8 or 9 down, or are just a few runs short of victory, on Monady evening.

Looking at the weather forcast (which doesn't look good for tommorrow afternoon) and the state of game if I wsa Australia I would want to bat all day tommorrow. No point in declaring earlier as England will be straight off for bad light given the chance and more overs will be lost. Better for Australia to be batting late in the day so they can control the game in that respect (though judging by recent evidence they may come off themselvs).
As to your first point, yeah, maybe Waugh wouldn't have done that, but either way it probably isn't a big deal - if we end up paying, it'll probably be for when we went off the night before.

I agree that we're just gonna have to keep batting (presuming England don't bowl us out of course) and if gettting a decent lead means batting till the end of the day, then I say we do it, in the hope that we can get a full day's play to bowl the Poms out.

The rain (and England) may thwart these plans, but I don't think there's anything else we can do.

open365

International Vice-Captain
i think England deserve the rain to come.

they would have won the ashes at old trafford had it not been for rain so if this test ends up a draw i think the best side will have won.

I agree Australia have been on the receiving end of a lot of terrible decisons but over the past years they have gotten more LBW appeals than anyone else(spin magazine pointed this out but its probably got more to do with Australia having better bowlers) in world cricket.

chalky

International Debutant
Off topic - I know there are some Andrew Johns fans on this forum and just to let you know he is giving a the Leeds Rhinos the runaround.

nick-o

State 12th Man
Knopfler said:
Not sure about the weather, but my guess it is ....

draw: 70%
Aus: 28%
England: 2% (they wont give Australia any sniff at a win)
I think the Aussies on here are being way too pessimistic.

If there's no more rain, Aus are huge favorites to win

At the very least, Eng would have to survive an entire day against Shane Warne without a first-innings cushion, on a final-day pitch. That is just simply not going to happen.

If weather's a factor, things start getting tighter and salvaging a draw emerges as a possibility.

I'd say 60% Aus win, 40% draw .

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Chance of an England win, zero.

Chance of an Australian win - depends very much on tomorrow's weather, which according to some forecasts could be ok, awful on others (sings "wai hai hai hai", throws eagle feathers to the four winds).

Sort-of glad that the Aussies got a few decisions going their way. At least it shut a few people up.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
nick-o said:
I think the Aussies on here are being way too pessimistic.

If there's no more rain, Aus are huge favorites to win

At the very least, Eng would have to survive an entire day against Shane Warne without a first-innings cushion, on a final-day pitch. That is just simply not going to happen.

If weather's a factor, things start getting tighter and salvaging a draw emerges as a possibility.

I'd say 60% Aus win, 40% draw .
So no possibility of an England win? That's a little hasty.

Say England roll Aussies for 400 tomorrow afternoon, then bat till mid-afternoon Monday, when they are bowled out for 380ish (long sessions = 380 in about 110 overs, conservatively). They set Aus 350 in 50 overs to win. Very unlikely, but with that target, anything can happen, and it's not unlikely enough to say it categorically won't happen.

nick-o

State 12th Man
Barney Rubble said:
So no possibility of an England win? That's a little hasty.

Say England roll Aussies for 400 tomorrow afternoon, then bat till mid-afternoon Monday, when they are bowled out for 380ish (long sessions = 380 in about 110 overs, conservatively). They set Aus 350 in 50 overs to win. Very unlikely, but with that target, anything can happen, and it's not unlikely enough to say it categorically won't happen.
Yup, no possibility.

England to get 380 in the second innings against Shane Warne?

Like I say, no possibility. Then halve that to take into account the weather forecast.

greg

International Debutant
Two ways for England to win:

Set Australia c250 in 55 overs - proved enough in 4th test vs South Africa and the SAfricans had something to play for!

Set Aus 160 on a rapidly deteriorating pitch. Wouldn't be the first time ;-)

PY

International Coach
Reckon this thread will make 20,000 posts?

Five and a half thousand in 2 remaining days and dissection afterwards.

Might post some odds in the MoneyMakers thread.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
greg said:

Set Australia c250 in 55 overs - proved enough in 4th test vs South Africa and the SAfricans had something to play for!

Yeah - my way was a little off, but it's still possible.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
Well considering G. Jones appealed with a look on his face like someone had just slapped his butt without him wanting them too, I don't think it was a bad decision at all. Much stronger appeal needed to give those.
I think that was Geraint's standard "I've held onto one so we might as well have a half-hearted appeal" appeal.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
PY said:
Reckon this thread will make 20,000 posts?
Yep

Also if it does not rain on the final day and the Ashes is up for grabs till then, there is a fair chance there will be record number of posts on the thread for any specific day in cw history, most posts for any specific hour, any specific minute and all other records which might be conjured up.

Blaze

Banned
Do they make up time? I know in NZ where it rains a lot we start half an hour earlier and end half an hour later to make up some`of the time lost

Entrael

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
yup, if a day(s) is affected by rain, they usually start a bit earlier and lengthen out the last session..

btw, i think there should be a rule that says if rain happens to affect play at the start of the day for anywhere between 1hour or so, that lunch could be postpone or even shortened. i didn't like how lunch was called yesterday after the weather had improved a bit and the batsmen were there for about 30mins

chalky

International Debutant
Blaze said:
Do they make up time? I know in NZ where it rains a lot we start half an hour earlier and end half an hour later to make up some`of the time lost
We can finish half an hour later (an extra 15 overs) if time is lost to rain. Can't start half an hour earler in England.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
greg said:

how about bowl the rest of the aussies out really quickly and bat for as long as they can, which with Warne wont be long enough i dont think. than bowl them out again ;)