• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Slow Love™

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Meh. I've umpired over 1000 overs of junior cricket this season and my "shockers" count is only two. Though we don't get Hawk-eye so any number of LBWs could have been off...
Yeah, but the under-fours are at that age where they don't bother to file complaints with the ref. Of course, you are probably the referee as well...

greg

International Debutant
Jono said:
Raining again.

Good knock from Hayden none the less. Reminds me a bit of Tendulkar's knock in Sydney back in Jan 2004. Granted Tendulkar's career was far from on the line, but he was out of form and needed to grit his way back into some knick.
I thought Taylor at Edgbaston in 1997

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think the Ponting bat-pad was definitively out either - actually a perfect example of why technology can't be used for those sorts of calls. Different people see the exact same set of replays and come up with different results, and a third umpire could never have given that out.

It sounded out to me, but I'm inclined to agree with the commentators that the ball hit the pad and then the bat hit his ankle. Superb decision from Bowden.

greg

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
I don't think the Ponting bat-pad was definitively out either - actually a perfect example of why technology can't be used for those sorts of calls. Different people see the exact same set of replays and come up with different results, and a third umpire could never have given that out.

It sounded out to me, but I'm inclined to agree with the commentators that the ball hit the pad and then the bat hit his ankle. Superb decision from Bowden.
The ball actually changed direction (well that's what i saw). And it only required the super slo-mo to see it (unlike the super super super slo-mo that was required to see the Ponting nick on the LBW at trent bridge). Agree it shows the fallibility of technology if people can't agree though.

Slow Love™

International Captain
greg said:
I thought Taylor at Edgbaston in 1997
Yeah, similar contextually, but I'd have been absolutely happy for Taylor to keep playing if he'd scored a pair that test. People underrate the benefits of great captaincy.

Slow Love™

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:

I don't think that everybody a) paid the same attention and b) saw all the same replays. With access to all those tools, I think a decent third umpire with good eyesight would have given that out.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Slow Love™ said:
Yeah, but the under-fours are at that age where they don't bother to file complaints with the ref. Of course, you are probably the referee as well...
U11, U12, U13, U14... but I'd say a ranting father's a more intimidating sight than Ranjan Madugalle, anyway.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Sorry, the edge was clearly out (not blaming the umpire though, I'm only going on the super slow-mo). Also, about time Australia had some luck.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
U11, U12, U13, U14... but I'd say a ranting father's a more intimidating sight than Ranjan Madugalle, anyway.
I was just yanking your chain, mate. :) And I'm sure you are right about the latter.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Slow Love™ said:
Yeah, similar contextually, but I'd have been absolutely happy for Taylor to keep playing if he'd scored a pair that test. People underrate the benefits of great captaincy.
And the benefits to his captaincy of having Waugh scoring mountains of runs and McGrath/Warne being able to bowl sides out with minimal assistance form the captain.

Fortunately, retaining Taylor didnt hurt the team but his batting was, during his slump, a bit of an embarrassment.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
I don't think that everybody a) paid the same attention and b) saw all the same replays. With access to all those tools, I think a decent third umpire with good eyesight would have given that out.
The commentators watched the replays and didn't agree, I watched the replays and didn't agree as did other people on this forum, and even Greg Matthews and Dean Jones couldn't agree. A third umpire couldn't reasonably give that out.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I dunno which way the weather's coming from, but I'd guess I'm about 70 miles from The Oval (less as the crow flies, prob) & we had a heavy burst about twenty mins ago, but it's cleared now.

Hope (or not :D ) of more play today I'd say.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Slow Love™ said:
With access to all those tools, I think a decent third umpire with good eyesight would have given that out.
Exactly.

Unfortunately for Eng, real time was hardly conclusive and therefore justifiably not given.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
Sorry, the edge was clearly out (not blaming the umpire though, I'm only going on the super slow-mo). Also, about time Australia had some luck.
goodness even on super-slow-mo that wasn't conclusive it looked all pad to me, no bat.