• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
good the lads are back 47.2 overs left, Australia should get about 150 to 170 more by the end of the days play i reckon.
Best case scenario for Aus is parity tonight.

Wicket does not appear to have too many gremlins but, then again, Warne and McGrath are 2 of the 3 best bowlers in the world and Eng have choked plenty of times before. :D

PY

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
it's a bit ridiculous to get accused of whining because you express frustration at losing a wicket when it's raining and then heading off immediately afterwards.

Can't blame the umpires of course, but nobody was attempting to do that.
Who exactly is the frustration aimed at then?

Just interested because you're saying you're not complaining at the umpires but they were the ones who'd made the decision?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Best case scenario for Aus is parity tonight.

Wicket does not appear to have too many gremlins but, then again, Warne and McGrath are 2 of the 3 best bowlers in the world and Eng have choked plenty of times before. :D
Parity tonight is a very big if - we won't get 47 overs in. If Australia can add another hundred without losing too many though, they can aim for parity by lunch tomorrow at the latest and hopefully a bit of a first innings lead. England still aren't going to have to bat on too long on day 5 to bat Australia out of the game though, so it's going to need a Warne and McGrath special.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
PY said:

Just interested because you're saying you're not complaining at the umpires but they were the ones who'd made the decision?
It's simply frustrating to lose a wicket at such a moment when play could have been called off after the over with Australai none down. It's not blaming the umpires or accusing them of doing something wrong to say "why that ball and not the one before it?", but really the point isn't even that, it's more a case of Langer getting out when rain was falling when it would have been so much better if he survived just a couple more balls.

PY

International Coach
If I was England, I'd make a big hoo-hah about bringing Gary Pratt on and plonking him in the covers for Ricky Ponting to chew on. :D

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Important period for Ponting i hope he gets through his early demons then get stuck into England later on.

Btw dont know if anyone has realised but this is Haydens highest score since his 70 vs NZ at the adelaide oval last year :D

Slow Love™

International Captain
PY said:

Firstly, the rain did not contribute to Langer getting out, as much as playing a poor shot to a decent faster ball outside off-stump.

However, the rain had been coming down for some time, and it would have suited us (ie it would have been good fortune) if they'd have come off earlier in the over, 'cause Langer might still be out there.

The frustration is because the conditions were really no better the ball before they went off, so there was no real need to hang out there that last couple of balls, in order to traipse off once the wicket falls. That's always gonna be frustrating to the team who watched their wicket fall, whether they are English or Australian.

PY

International Coach
I'm sure that was inside edge before it hit the pad.

Anyone confirm?

EDIT:Side on view didn't look like it but with my eyes, it looked to deviate but Tanny doesn't seem to think so.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Another umpiring mistake.

Looks like the cricketing gods have decided to even up the series in one hit.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really not sure. It does look very much like it front on, but instinct said pad only and I think that deviation is squishage rather than nickage. Would like a snicko on it.

Slow Love™

International Captain
PY said:
I'm sure that was inside edge before it hit the pad.

Anyone confirm?
I thought it was out. At first I thought Bowden might have been wondering whether it carried, but then I saw the replay and there's absolutely no question of that.

The side on replay made it hard to tell, but I thought the front on clarified it.

greg

International Debutant
social said:
Another umpiring mistake.

Looks like the cricketing gods have decided to even up the series in one hit.
I don't think it's the cricketing gods. Bowden is making a conscious effort 8-)

Slow Love™

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
I think that Snicko was showing too much of a chunk for that to be bat... either way there is doubt.
Did you see the super slo-mo closeup replay though? It clearly showed the deviation from bat to pad.