• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
social said:
Most important thing about Harmy's last over was not the wicket - it was the rain.
One aspect of Harmison's armoury rarely discussed, his sublime skill in getting a wicket then following it up with rainfall.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Pedro Delgado said:
One aspect of Harmison's armoury rarely discussed, his sublime skill in getting a wicket then following it up with rainfall.
:laugh:
It's a shame he hadn't developed this effective new skill before the Lord's Test.......

Slow Love™

International Captain
Barney Rubble said:
I don't actually think he will do that - but it will be interesting to see how far he is willing to take this "positive attitude" that he's been talking about all summer.
I reckon he's shown more than enough this summer to prove his positive attitude (including enforcing the follow-on in the last test) - but there's a difference between showing a positive attitude and irresponsible madness.

People are often too hard on the concept of a team batting another one out of a match rather than trying to conjure up a win out of a rain-affected match. It was risky enough when Steve Waugh did it against NZ in 2000, but with England in front and the Ashes at stake, positive cricket IMO would be avoiding completely screwing it up for no good reason. :p

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
I reckon he's shown more than enough this summer to prove his positive attitude (including enforcing the follow-on in the last test) - but there's a difference between showing a positive attitude and irresponsible madness.

People are often too hard on the concept of a team batting another one out of a match rather than trying to conjure up a win out of a rain-affected match. It was risky enough when Steve Waugh did it against NZ in 2000, but with England in front and the Ashes at stake, positive cricket IMO would be avoiding completely screwing it up for no good reason. :p
Yeah, you're probably right. Although if Australia are bowled out for less than a hundred chasing 350 on the last evening, I reserve the right to say "I told you so". :p

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barney Rubble said:
You won't be saying that if he knocks over another six by tomorrow lunchtime.
May well do but only because Aus have to attack if they ever get back on.

Harmy has been ordinary this innings.

Even that last over contained 2 intentional 4s, 2 wides, a no-ball, and a play on.

Yes, he bowled at 90 mph but his bowling to date has hardly been anything to have the remaining batsmen quaking in their boots, especially at 190 - 1.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Barney Rubble said:
Yeah, you're probably right. Although if Australia are bowled out for less than a hundred chasing 350 on the last evening, I reserve the right to say "I told you so". :p
Fair enough. :) I guess I was thinking in terms of a legitimate target (in the sense of something Australia would actually consider attempting) being set. If they throw them in for the last session on the last day over 300 behind though, it'd be more about rubbing their nose in the dirt (whether they're bowled out or not).

I certainly wouldn't give Australia the slightest sniff though, particularly given how close these last few tests have finished.

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
social said:
May well do but only because Aus have to attack if they ever get back on.

Harmy has been ordinary this innings.

Even that last over contained 2 intentional 4s, 2 wides, a no-ball, and a play on.

Yes, he bowled at 90 mph but his bowling to date has hardly been anything to have the remaining batsmen quaking in their boots, especially at 190 - 1.
Actually, that last over showed a lot of those who have been watching Harmison for the last 18 months that he still has the qualities which made him so dangerous - the two wides were unlucky to be called wide, and both the boundaries could have easily been edged behind. The play on was a result of the fact that Langer (as evidenced by the ball before it) was clearly uncomfortable with the extra zip Harmy was getting.

If he does get a big haul it'll be down to him, not Australia - he's not the one who'll take the flak if they're looking to attack, Hoggard is.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
Fair enough. :) I guess I was thinking in terms of a legitimate target (in the sense of something Australia would actually consider attempting) being set. If they throw them in for the last session on the last day over 300 behind though, it'd be more about rubbing their nose in the dirt.

I certainly wouldn't give Australia the slightest sniff though, particularly given how close these last few tests have finished.
Yeah - I can't help thinking if he sets them 8 an over for a session to win, it might get closer than he expects.

social

Barney Rubble said:
Actually, that last over showed a lot of those who have been watching Harmison for the last 18 months that he still has the qualities which made him so dangerous - the two wides were unlucky to be called wide, and both the boundaries could have easily been edged behind. The play on was a result of the fact that Langer (as evidenced by the ball before it) was clearly uncomfortable with the extra zip Harmy was getting.

If he does get a big haul it'll be down to him, not Australia - he's not the one who'll take the flak if they're looking to attack, Hoggard is.
First boundary hit the top of the bat rather than the middle - either way it was going for 4.

Second boundary was totally intentional - never going anywhere but the fence.

Ive been a great supporter of Haymy this series (unlike others) but this innings he has hardly been threatening on a wicket that does offer him assistance.

My main criticism of him is endurance - he only seems to have relatively short spells in him. Amongst other things, that's why the rain is so important at the moment. 2 more overs with a wet ball and he would have been gone.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
honestbharani said:
I remember the CT final in 2004 when Lara kept complaining about the light and having to face Flintoff and Harmison in that light. They kept refusing it and then, right after he was dismissed, they went off. Ian Chappell said that was amongst the worst things that can happen to a batsman and criticized the umpires heavily.
I don't think they went off in that game.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Slow Love™ said:
Yeah, that was a PY special. *cries*

It is frustrating though, when the umps decide to wait until the end of an over when they've decided the conditions are too wet to play on.
Whinge if the players go off, whinge if the players stay on.

Always the umpires' faults too.

Australian supporters 2005.

:huh:

social

marc71178 said:
Interesting definition of intentional there...
First one - trying to run the ball through gap between slips and gully - he did it, who cares if it came off the bat higher than intended.

Second one - up and over straight to the fence. Looks impressive to the crowd and young fast bowlers but it was only ever going one place.

Same no. of runs would have eventuated from edges straight through to Jones anyway :p

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well the covers are off, tea has been taken & possible play at 3:30 Uk time, it better be the last of the rain for the match...

social

luckyeddie said:

:huh:[/QUOT

Once the umps decide conditions are fit to play, that's it.

Slow Love™

International Captain
luckyeddie said:

:huh:
Oh can it, Eddie. Going off yesterday for the light was clearly the Aussie team's fault, and I'm entitled to express my frustration over the rain decision - it is frustrating, but it doesn't mean I'm accusing the umpires of impropriety. And you've done plenty of whining yourself.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Oh can it, Eddie. Going off yesterday for the light was clearly the Aussie team's fault, and I'm entitled to express my frustration over the rain decision - it is frustrating, but it doesn't mean I'm accusing the umpires of impropriety. And you've done plenty of whining yourself.
Yeah, forced to agree here. Most supporters on both sides in this series have been pretty good, and it's a bit ridiculous to get accused of whining because you express frustration at losing a wicket when it's raining and then heading off immediately afterwards.

Can't blame the umpires of course, but nobody was attempting to do that.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
good the lads are back 47.2 overs left, Australia should get about 150 to 170 more by the end of the days play i reckon.