• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Slow Love™

International Captain
cameeel said:
Interesting though how little he recognized the crowds cheering when he reached 50
Arrogant prat. :)

In actual fact, it was probably more a gesture of humility more than anything. His innings was pretty patchy, and I'm sure he's aware that he's got a lot to do yet in this match.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
honestbharani said:
Maybe it was just a change in attitude. He seems to acknowledged that these are class bowlers who deserve to be treated with respect. It has always been his attitude that I felt was his problem.
Ive called for his sacking a no. of times for that reason not for the way he was hitting the ball.

With the exception of a couple of innings during this slump, he's always looked in form but has played any no. of ridiculous "get out" shots.

When he plays like this, he looks as solid as anyone.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting not out decision for Langer first ball.

Naked eye said not out as drifting down leg side.

Hawk-eye said plumb.

Does anyone know whether cameras and hawk-eye are set at different angles e.g. camera over bowler's arm and hawk-eye stump-to-stump.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Interesting not out decision for Langer first ball.

Naked eye said not out as drifting down leg side.

Hawk-eye said plumb.
mayn its time Australia had some good fortune this series England have frankly had too much.

open365

International Vice-Captain
hawk eye works with 6 cameras around the ground,mid on and mid off and square of the wicket i think.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep. Wikipedia says "Hawk-Eye is a computer system used in cricket and other sports to track the path of the ball. It was developed in 2001 by Dr. Paul Hawkins, and is now used by most television coverage networks to track the trajectory of the ball in flight. However, the system is not used by the umpires to judiciate on LBW decisions in Test cricket or one-day international cricket.

Hawk-Eye uses six television cameras situated around the ground, linked to a computer system. The computer reads in the video in real time, and tracks the path of the ball on each camera. These six separate views are then combined together to produce an accurate 3D representation of the path of the ball, which can be viewed in a virtual reality simulation."

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
PY said:
I didn't think, at the start of this summer, that we'd be desparately missing Simon Jones from the attack.
Then again, did you think that with 8 sessions to go England would have 1 hand on the urn?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Ponting won't declare behind, he'll bat as long as he can. Taylor or Waugh might have declared behind, but Ponting is much more in the Border mould of conservative captains.
Which is a major problem for Australia IMO.

I've read in the papers that he told the openers to take the light if offered.

Any truth in that?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
greg said:
Even the best commentators are being made to look a bit silly by not waiting for the replays in this game.
To be honest I'd rather a commentator calls it as he sees it pre-replay - after all that's what the umpire has to do.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
marc71178 said:
To be honest I'd rather a commentator calls it as he sees it pre-replay - after all that's what the umpire has to do.
me too. That is why I rate Boycott high. He always calls them before the replay.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
I just can't remember ever hearing a crowd cheering the rain before. Fair enough that England want to win the series and everything, but it's not like they're 6 down and following on. It's a bit sad I think that those people paid money for their tickets and would rather watch it rain than watch England win the test.
If a certain number of overs aren't bowled (10 I think) it's a full refund.

If it's 25 then 50% is refunded.

I remember I had tickets for the NZ ODI at Old Trafford last summer (same day as England vs Portugal)

When I found out that they weren't allowed to show the football at the ground, I was happy for rain.

Slow Love™

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Which is a major problem for Australia IMO.

I've read in the papers that he told the openers to take the light if offered.

Any truth in that?
Gilchrist said this morning that it was a team decision.

Slow Love™

International Captain
marc71178 said:
If a certain number of overs aren't bowled (10 I think) it's a full refund.

If it's 25 then 50% is refunded.

I remember I had tickets for the NZ ODI at Old Trafford last summer (same day as England vs Portugal)

When I found out that they weren't allowed to show the football at the ground, I was happy for rain.
Yeah, but you'd be a prize tw@t if that's the reason you were cheering the rain in the first session of the day.

I think it's related to the fact that it makes it harder for Australia to win the game, and on that basis, I've got no real problem with it.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
I Got The Impression Hayden Thinks His Job Is Half Done< Hence The Lack Of Celebration>

Sorry< My Keyboard Has Gone Very Very Weird Lol>

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Slow Love™ said:
Gilchrist said this morning that it was a team decision.
I wonder if it was voted on or not - can't imagine the same decision would've been made if a certain blonde leg-spinner were in charge.

Slow Love™

International Captain
marc71178 said:
I wonder if it was voted on or not - can't imagine the same decision would've been made if a certain blonde leg-spinner were in charge.
Well, doubtless Ponting consulted with the "leadership group" - but that includes Warne and Ponting.

Slow Love™

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
47 runs and no wickets in a short session. Definately a good effort, sets the scene for Australia to catch up to England today if the rain stays away, and bowl tomorrow.

Seems a bit ridiculous to be heading off for 40 minutes now while the sun is out.
You're not wrong, and now, after being off the ground for 40 minutes (and back on for about 5), it sounds like it's starting to rain again. :(