• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

greg

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Maybe Jones and Matthews were right then? cricinfo says they were offered the light and took it, but SBS is saying that they were never even asked. Pretty shocking if the latter is true, as they should be able to play on in any sort of conditions they like in an effort to win a vital test provided that it's not raining heavily.
I think there's some confusion about the situation when they first went off, and then when the umpires came to check it at 4:00

Slow Love™

International Captain
The main problem with Dean Jones' comments on the umpires enforcing a light walk-off (rather than offering the option to Hayden and Langer) would be: how does he know these things? He and Matthews are sitting in a studio presumably watching the Ch4 coverage secondhand. Unfortunately, I got interrupted and missed what was actually shown when they first went off.

I'm just confused as to what their source would be, when nobody else watching it seemed to see the same thing (and in addition, there was Mark Nicholas' interview with the umpires that SP mentioned).

As to the second instance, I'm guessing that the light maybe needs to be better than it was when the batsmen took it originally for further play to take place? I find the rules concerning this confusing though.

greg

International Debutant
Slow Love™ said:
The main problem with Dean Jones' comments on the umpires enforcing a light walk-off (rather than offering the option to Hayden and Langer) would be: how does he know these things? He and Matthews are sitting in a studio presumably watching the Ch4 coverage secondhand. Unfortunately, I got interrupted and missed what was actually shown when they first went off.

I'm just confused as to what their source would be, when nobody else watching it seemed to see the same thing (and in addition, there was Mark Nicholas' interview with the umpires that SP mentioned).

As to the second instance, I'm guessing that the light maybe needs to be better than it was when the batsmen took it originally for further play to take place? I find the rules concerning this confusing though.
The Mark Nicholas interview claimed that the rules have changed and the batsmen can request a resumption at any point. Maybe they are not doing so because they don't want to lose face. Maybe they are happy with a draw having "been denied by the weather" :-)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
greg said:
The Mark Nicholas interview claimed that the rules have changed and the batsmen can request a resumption at any point. Maybe they are not doing so because they don't want to lose face. Maybe they are happy with a draw having "been denied by the weather" :-)
I'm going to assume you don't really think that and not bother countering it, but it's worth remembering that Australia are actually in front in this test at the moment. :p

greg

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'm going to assume you don't really think that and not bother countering it, but it's worth remembering that Australia are actually in front in this test at the moment. :p
Of course I was joking (although clearly it needs some explanation). I'm not sure they're that far in front - remember traditionally at the Oval if it begins to break up chasing smallish targets can be very difficult, so sides batting second will need a pretty decent lead. I still think people are assessing the game situation in the context of the series - so the Aussies are "in front" the less the draw seems a prospect (because a draw is a 'win' for england). If that makes any sense :wacko:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Slow Love™ said:
Really? God Deano talks some crap. I can't believe they took the light, when god knows how much time we might lose in this match due to bad weather. I'd love to know the rationale behind the decision, even if it does seem that the rain is becoming an issue this afternoon anyway.

With immenent rain coming, it would be a bit risky to be batting in bad light and lose a few wickets. It would be better for Australia to be starting tomorrow at 0/112 than 1/117.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
With immenent rain coming, it would be a bit risky to be batting in bad light and lose a few wickets. It would be better for Australia to be starting tomorrow at 0/112 than 1/117.
Yeah, but we're not talking about 20 minutes from stumps here... it's a whole session, that's 100+ potential runs. Giving that up because it's a bit dark is daft, unless you genuinely can't see.

Mister Wright

Slow Love™ said:

Why are you asking for clarification on anything Dean Jones says? We are into the 5th test, you should know by now that everything that comes out of his mouth is crap. :p

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah, but we're not talking about 20 minutes from stumps here... it's a whole session, that's 100+ potential runs. Giving that up because it's a bit dark is daft, unless you genuinely can't see.
Maybe they couldn't. If you look at the ground at the time when the players went off, the lights on the scoreboard were very strong, which is always an indication that the light is very poor. Also television tends to make it lighter than it actually appears.

greg

International Debutant
Mister Wright said:
As they said on Channel 4, in the situation if they thought it was going to rain they should have waited for it to start before going off. They've basically gambled and lost.

Mister Wright

greg said:
As they said on Channel 4, in the situation if they thought it was going to rain they should have waited for it to start before going off. They've basically gambled and lost.
But when you're trying to win a match, you have to take things in perspective. Ok, they could have risked batting in poor light after all the hard work they had put in to lay the platform for a big team innings, but they could have lost wickets also, and it would be very tough in that light for a new batsman. It is more important that they have that platform, you lose 1 or 2 wickets then that advantage is lost. Come back tomorrow with 10 wickets in hand, that's a much better scenario.

Isolator

State 12th Man
Mister Wright said:
But when you're trying to win a match, you have to take things in perspective. Ok, they could have risked batting in poor light after all the hard work they had put in to lay the platform for a big team innings, but they could have lost wickets also, and it would be very tough in that light for a new batsman. It is more important that they have that platform, you lose 1 or 2 wickets then that advantage is lost. Come back tomorrow with 10 wickets in hand, that's a much better scenario.
You're trying to win a match where time is of the essence.
In those conditions, they'd have had Giles and probably Collingwood bowling. They've got to back themselves not to get out. Quite an unbelievable decision, in my opinion.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
James said:
Can anyone tell me why there are no spectators in the 2nd level (green seats) of the new stand? Is it still being built or....?
corporate hospitality, it filled up again when they'd finished their lunch

Mister Wright

Isolator said:
You're trying to win a match where time is of the essence.
In those conditions, they'd have had Giles and probably Collingwood bowling. They've got to back themselves not to get out. Quite an unbelievable decision, in my opinion.
I can guarantee you Collingwood would not have been bowling. England want the Aussies off, so it would have been either Harmisson or Flintoff. I have no problem with them going off. Better to go in tomorrow as I said before none down than a couple. It has to be remembered that none of these test matches have gone into the last session of the 5th day. I know the drawn test did, but there was a lot lost due to weather. I don't think one session out of the game, which can be made up will mean all that much in the end.

Knopfler

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mister Wright said:
I can guarantee you Collingwood would not have been bowling. England want the Aussies off, so it would have been either Harmisson or Flintoff. I have no problem with them going off. Better to go in tomorrow as I said before none down than a couple. It has to be remembered that none of these test matches have gone into the last session of the 5th day. I know the drawn test did, but there was a lot lost due to weather. I don't think one session out of the game, which can be made up will mean all that much in the end.
Better to go into tomorrow with more runs, and Australia can afford to lose 1 or 2 wickets for the chance of scoring 100+ more runs. This is not the time to be defensive.

Also, what makes you think a lot will not be lost this test due to weather?

Lastly, this first thing you said is very important..

England want the Aussies off
Surely if England want Australia off, then Australia should want to be on. Please explain how both teams could want the same thing.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Australia still marginally ahead as stumps are drawn on Day 2, for mine.

112-0 is a very strong start, and Langer is looking in good nick, but while Hayden has grafted his way to 35, he has never looked in the kind of form that makes you say "OK, the real Hayden is back". He just looks like he is still in the same form but isn't getting the deliveries he was getting earlier in the series.

Rain is forecast again tomorrow morning, and if certain forecasts are correct we could lose as much as two sessions to the weather, which will raise various questions as to what the Australians' batting strategy is going to be. Chances are from this point that they will make close to what England did - and the main question is, if they've only got 5 sessions left in the game, how long do they bat for once they get a lead?

They could declare at 400 (which they'll probably make), and back themselves to make 250-300, knowing that 5 sessions is too long for England to try and bat out for a draw.

They could declare at 500 (which they might make), and try and leave themselves chasing 150-200 on the last day, with the possibility being there that England could shut up shop and not leave them enough time to chase it.

They could declare at 600 (which they probably won't make), and try to bowl England out in a day or so, for either an innings victory or a very fast chase of about 50-70 on the final evening.

Privately, I don't think Michael Vaughan would mind letting the Australian innings drag on a bit and forcing Ponting to make a tough decision - going by previous events, there's no guarantee he'd make the right one. I'm not saying the draw is already foremost in Vaughan's mind, but he will know that a declaration will have to come at some point if England don't bowl them out, and the more play is lost tomorrow, the more pressure it puts on Ponting and Australia in the field.