• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
He wasn't 3-4 yards back he was about a yard and a half.

If he was 3-4 yards back he'd not have been able to reach the stumps to remove the bails.
He's a very, very poor keeper for test match cricket.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I come back work and am over joyed that I will see some action. And the players go off before I can even switch on the tv. :@

Slow Love™

International Captain
Deano and Mo Matthews seem convinced that the umpires sent off the players, rather than Langer and Hayden accepting the light, due to paranoia about litigation (ie, somebody suing for being kept on the ground with failing light and being injured).

Can we get any confirmation on this issue?

Scaly piscine

Slow Love™ said:
Deano and Mo Matthews seem convinced that the umpires sent off the players, rather than Langer and Hayden accepting the light, due to paranoia about litigation (ie, somebody suing for being kept on the ground with failing light and being injured).

Nicholas interviewed both umpires and they said they'd offered the light and if the Aussies changed their mind they could come back on (this was before the covers came on).

nick-o

State 12th Man
Well, it's absolutely pelting down here now and the thunder's so bad I'm losing my internet connection.

My guess is there'll be no more play today -- the forecast for here and the Oval were identical this morning.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Scaly piscine said:
Nicholas interviewed both umpires and they said they'd offered the light and if the Aussies changed their mind they could come back on (this was before the covers came on).
Really? God Deano talks some crap. I can't believe they took the light, when god knows how much time we might lose in this match due to bad weather. I'd love to know the rationale behind the decision, even if it does seem that the rain is becoming an issue this afternoon anyway.

howardj

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:

Dean Jones just going off on one of his left-field, ridiculous theories....in an attempt to show the audience that he has more knowledge than anyone else.

Backfires, once again.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Back on in 10 minutes (weather permitting)
Thank god. If Australia lost a session due to going off for bad light and then couldn't win due to time at the end, it would be an absolute joke. They need to stay out there, make 400 by the end of tomorrow if possible and then bowl well. Some time will be lost during this test, but Australia need to minimise it, not go off for no apparent reason.

Scaly piscine

marc71178 said:
I;m not denying that, just saying you can't attach any blame for him on that occasion.
You can't attach blame in the sense that he missed a chance, because Langer would have got back in time. But the reality is he should be able to take the ball early for stumpings.

howardj

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Thank god. If Australia lost a session due to going off for bad light and then couldn't win due to time at the end, it would be an absolute joke. They need to stay out there, make 400 by the end of tomorrow if possible and then bowl well. Some time will be lost during this test, but Australia need to minimise it, not go off for no apparent reason.
It was probably one of Buchanan's left-field decisions. Maybe Langer and Hayden had an essay due, and Buchanan wanted them off. :laugh:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lights got worse again - just glad that they were off for that last race.

It's bad enough when the coverage is interuptted, but when it's a 5 horse race with 3 then withdrawing, it's a bit of a joke.

greg

International Debutant
You would not believe the amount of rain that has fallen in the rest of London over the past hour. How it's missed the Oval is a mystery. The Australians obviously don't believe in utilising their luck though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Were the batsmen even out there when the umpires were discussing the light? Didn't look like it on the little bit of footage I just saw.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Listening to the commentary on BBC and according to them its pretty dark out there, I dont think Langer/Hayden came out .

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe Jones and Matthews were right then? cricinfo says they were offered the light and took it, but SBS is saying that they were never even asked. Pretty shocking if the latter is true, as they should be able to play on in any sort of conditions they like in an effort to win a vital test provided that it's not raining heavily.

howardj

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Maybe Jones and Matthews were right then? cricinfo says they were offered the light and took it, but SBS is saying that they were never even asked. Pretty shocking if the latter is true, as they should be able to play on in any sort of conditions they like in an effort to win a vital test provided that it's not raining heavily.
The umpires clearly had a conversation with both Hayden and Langer. It was there for all to see. They were offered the light, and they accepted it. Don't anybody let Dean 'weird theories' Jones lead you astray.