• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Since Lords he's been totally toothless and he only has 16 wickets for the series, which isn't really good enough for the guy who's meant to spearhead the attack.
Funny how Lee has only 4 more but is being raved about...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
dalm rain, none better had not fall tommorow but at last Australia have batted wondefully, its been quite strange listening in school on the radio to Hayden batting so conservatively, i've been backing him all series & now i really do hope he can get a hundred tommorow. Australia should relly cash in tommorow once the south london weather stays good.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
chalky said:
The only reasoning I can think for Australia going off for bad light is they just want a chance to bowl at England on the last day and hope a combination of Warne and nerves will do the rest (ala Trent Bridge.) The best way to get at England on the last day is to get a big first innings lead and to do this they want to keep wickets in hand and bat in the best conditions possible .

Even considering this arguement I still think the decision is terrible. To come off when you have England on the rack and take time out of the game when it's a strong possibility that most of Saturday will be lost. allow England to rest their 3 main seam bowlers and regroup as a team makes the decision for me astounding.

yeah i think the idea is to only bat once in the match if possible.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Isolator said:
He may not be playing like the "real Hayden", but he seemed to be playing solidly and with conviction after lunch.

Indeed. I was one for the few who thought he might score a few this match (he hasn't yet reall,. but he may yet). He's finally playing the ball later, he's been thinking since Edgbaston, just like Strauss and Fred have been thinking about Warne since Lord's, with far more success of course. For me 'Dos did the right thing, let Langer score aggresively at t'oher end whilst he stayed in, and hit the rare bad one for four. Good stuff Hayden.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Matthew Hayden's Dilemma

lets say Hayden makes hundred tommorow & i really hope he does or if he just falls short & makes an between 70 to 90, will the selectors still drop him for the other two candidates for the upcoming Australian summer???

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
lets say Hayden makes hundred tommorow & i really hope he does or if he just falls short & makes an between 70 to 90, will the selectors still drop him for the other two candidates for the upcoming Australian summer???
Interesting question that if Australia lose the ashes then he may well be one of the casualties if they win the match and he gets a decent score hel probably survie for now

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Obviously Australia aren't likely to get anywhere near a lead of 200, so I don't think we'll see a declaration at all. If Australia can bat all of tomorrow they'll be thrilled, or if not they'll want parity at least, hoping that McGrath and Warne can take England apart and leave Australia less than 200 to chase.
Tomorrow looks wet and cloudy, possibly two sessions lost (possibly, this is England and anything can happen weather-wise). Not sure where I stand on the decision today. Langer said at (enforced) stumps that they could have lost two then maybe even four wickets in the conditions, due to Harmo and Fred bowling bumpers and yorkers in the darkness, which may have left Aus 150-4 at stumps; that puts a very different perspective on the game. On the other hand, with rain forcast for tomorrow perhaps one or two down and 80-100-on might seem better on reflection, with Aus needing to win.

As for the match, well done Aus and England so far. We didn't quite get the 450-500 we'd have wanted to put us in control, but after losing so many batsman cheaply I reckoned 370 odd was decent enough. Aus have done well first dig, Langer attacking as is his latter-day wont, Hayden trying to support him as is his latter day wont :p . Scoring 112 with ten intact is fecking top hole in any match; if I was Virgil I'd have been very happy to see the chaps accept the offered light.

Role on tomorrow (afternoon??) and fingers crossed for an Irish spell fom Fred, The Gods know we need it.

Bugger me if I'm not at a bloody wedding from 2pm onwards; Long Wave radio and a flask of Jameson will be my saviour, chin chin.

P.S OI! Leave Linda alone you beastly man Piscine :@

Edit: Faaip, do you think McGrath will really do the business on this deck? It's Warne the danger man for me.

Last edited:

nick-o

State 12th Man
Pedr-o Delgad-o said:
Edit: Faaip, do you think McGrath will really do the business on this deck? It's Warne the danger man for me.
Incidentally, I don't think I've seen anything posted here about it, but am I right in thinking Warne needs one more wicket to become the highest Ashes wicket taker in history, overtaking Lillee?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
If they don't then IMO they've missed a trick.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
If they don't then IMO they've missed a trick.
yea i feel ya, but i for one would bel gutted to see him go out like that after seeing all of him during his dominant 3 years arghhhhhhhhh.....

Blaze

Banned
aussie said:
yea i feel ya, but i for one would bel gutted to see him go out like that after seeing all of him during his dominant 3 years arghhhhhhhhh.....

I wouldn't. Good ridance I say. Everyone has to go sooner or later.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
I wouldn't. Good ridance I say. Everyone has to go sooner or later.
well your a kiwi, if you had seen evey Hayden innings from Mumbai 2001 to Cairns 2004 you would feel the same way dawg.....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
So dominant that he hasn't got a ton in 15 or so Tests? 8-)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
well your a kiwi, if you had seen evey Hayden innings from Mumbai 2001 to Cairns 2004 you would feel the same way dawg.....
I assume from that comment that you've seen all of them then...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
So dominant that he hasn't got a ton in 15 or so Tests? 8-)
yea but its only in this series that he has looked hopeless, to me if their wasn't any hint of reverse swing at all for the English bowlers Matty could have well & scored a hundred because he has got through the new ball practically every innings its the reverse swing that has found him out.

Blaze

Banned
Pedro Delgado said:
I agree. My least favourite Aus cricketer, no elan, even less decorum.

Through the 90's he was my favourite along with Slater when he was struggling to break into the side but now that he has been at the top for a while I have developed a dislike for him.