• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I still think Read is the man.

Regardless of what he does now, I think Hayden has played an almost great innings. Solid as.

Slow Love™

International Captain
I hope I don't jinx us here, but this is all looking very solid. For the first time in the series, I don't feel like one of these guys is going to go any minute (and Langer's edge to slips doesn't matter, 'cause he always offers one). Losing Simon Jones has already had an appreciable impact. I just hope they don't get carried away going after Giles, 'cause even though I don't rate him that highly, he does have the occasional trick or two up his sleeve.

So how long has Pratt been out there now?

Slow Love™

International Captain
Nnanden said:
Horrible decision.

Plumb as it gets.
I didn't think it was, although I was a bit nervous it might be given. He was a long way down, and I thought it was maybe even going down leg - even if Hawkeye says it was gonna hit. Certainly pretty close though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Very much like the Flintoff decision from the last test when he was on 9 that. You could invent a bit of doubt in a couple of areas... did it hit him in line, would it ahve missed leg with the big stride forward etc, but really there was no reasonable doubt in that. That was gone.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Key period now. England really only have one quality reverse swing bowler now, so this Flintoff spell is vital. If he doesn't get a wicket in it, Australia will get a big boost out of it.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Slow Love™ said:
I hope I don't jinx us here, but this is all looking very solid. For the first time in the series, I don't feel like one of these guys is going to go any minute (and Langer's edge to slips doesn't matter, 'cause he always offers one). Losing Simon Jones has already had an appreciable impact. I just hope they don't get carried away going after Giles, 'cause even though I don't rate him that highly, he does have the occasional trick or two up his sleeve.

Er, whos he on for?

Knopfler

School Boy/Girl Captain
Slow Love™ said:

Hayden is just starting to look good in my opinion. He was struggling a lot at the start, but got through it. Lets hope he is in a pretty safe phase at the moment.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Linda said:
Er, whos he on for?
I guess like usual he's been on for a bunch of people who rotate off. He's been on the field for far too long for it to be a single person now, but I think it was Harmison who went off at first.

Linda

FaaipDeOiad said:
I guess like usual he's been on for a bunch of people who rotate off. He's been on the field for far too long for it to be a single person now, but I think it was Harmison who went off at first.
Ah, well of course... No Harmison injury then, thats a shame :p

Slow Love™

International Captain
Knopfler said:
Hayden is just starting to look good in my opinion. He was struggling a lot at the start, but got through it. Lets hope he is in a pretty safe phase at the moment.
He's been very disciplined - it might seem to count for little if he goes in the next half-hour or so, because he's scored so little, but he's not looking too bad, and 0/103 is a very good platform. Langer and God are doing their best to see him through this troubling period.

I really hope it doesn't rain (as it seems to be threatening) - things are going our way right now.

nick-o

State 12th Man
Linda said:
This day is looking like it wont be interrupted with rain, or at least very little. I am just chuffed, to say the least.
In West London right now you can hear thunder in the distance, and its very oppressive. I think we will see rain today.

Linda

nick-o said:
In West London right now you can hear thunder in the distance, and its very oppressive. I think we will see rain today.
Yes, Im starting to think I spoke to soon.
Still, if its only the one session, thats not catastrophic.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Best session with the bat for Australia since Lords, you'd have to say. Great effort by Hayden under the circumstances, he's gone back to what made him successful against swing early in his career and it's worked for him (although swing hasn't been a factor really), and England are feeling the pinch of a four man attack already, as they can't bowl Flintoff all day, can't hide Giles and Harmison is still not bowling well.

Hopefully the rain stays away, but really even if it doesn't Australia won't be too worried, 260 runs behind after 2 days with 10 in hand is a good position, and losing one session isn't that bad.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"Bit of rain" will help Aus as damp outfield will wet the ball and help nullify reverse, seam and spin.