• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Might be worth sending this one in to Ask Steven? I certainly don't think it's very common (5-fer on day 1, that is).
that would be ask steven on Cricinfo right???

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Slow Love™ said:
Seven overs to go today - come on boys, a wicket or two tonight and things will get pretty exciting...

As I write this, a direct hit gets referred to the third umpire - looks like he's home though.
Yep, he was impeded anyway.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
There we go... Warne took 7-54 against South Africa on day 1 in 94. I seem to remember him taking 5 on day 1 in that series where he averaged about 12 against Pakistan in 2002 as well.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i hope thats the last of Warne for this innings, hoping McGrath/Lee could clean up England with the new cherry....

Slow Love™

International Captain
Some nice crotch-grabbing from Katich there.

And McGrath's taken the new ball.

BTW, I'd love to see some more of the girl with the Aussie flag bikini out there in the crowd... Greiggy liked her too, even if he's not that discerning.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well i'm satisfied with Australia's performance today, all they have to do now is keep England to just about 350 & bat well & they will we underway to winning.....

social

Pretty even.

Not really a 319-7 wicket but Eng has runs on the board and there is massive pressure on.

Well played Strauss, Flintoff and Warne.

Brickbats to both sets of selectors.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't care whether people think it's a 300 wicket, a 400 wicket or whatever.
I also don't care if England end on 320 or 420, because the game hasn't started yet.

We all know what's going to happen - it's in the script. In Australia's second innings, they will be set x to win. They will lose 7 or 8 wickets before they've reached x/2, but Warne will be not out. He will fight and graft almost all the way home but with around 5 or 6 to win, the ninth wicket will go down.

Warne v Flintoff, a final over of the most amazing, nerve-jangling drama you could ever hope to wish for - and to the victor the spoils.

Roll on Sunday, 5.53 pm when it will all unfold (I will not allow one drop more rain to get in the way of this series).

greg

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
I also don't care if England end on 320 or 420, because the game hasn't started yet.

We all know what's going to happen - it's in the script. In Australia's second innings, they will be set x to win. They will lose 7 or 8 wickets before they've reached x/2, but Warne will be not out. He will fight and graft almost all the way home but with around 5 or 6 to win, the ninth wicket will go down.

Warne v Flintoff, a final over of the most amazing, nerve-jangling drama you could ever hope to wish for - and to the victor the spoils.

Roll on Sunday, 5.53 pm when it will all unfold (I will not allow one drop more rain to get in the way of this series).
I'd rather that didn't happen.

social

steds said:
Holding that phone so much must have really knackered his wrists/thumbs. Bad ergonomics
Steds, being a leaguie, do yourself a favour and watch Andrew Johns whilst he's in the UK for 3 matches (Warrington I think)

As Rod Macqueen (Wallaby WC winning coach) said, "He's Johnny Wilkinson, but a better kicker, passer, runner and tackler."

Guy's a ratbag but absolute genius.

He's Shane Warne in footie boots but more poorly behaved.

Last edited:

social

luckyeddie said:

Too true.

It's 60/61 Aus vs Windies revitalise cricket world-wide all over again.

howardj

International Coach
aussie said:
well i'm satisfied with Australia's performance today, all they have to do now is keep England to just about 350 & bat well & they will we underway to winning.....
I'd strongly counsel against underestimating the value of runs on the board. Your comment is eerily reminiscent of the last three Tests where, even though England scored 400+, people were saying that Australia were somehow ahead, as the pitch was an 'absolute belter'. People talk about scoring 500 as though it's a stroll in the park. Fact is that it seldom happens. I think any team that bats first and scores 350+ in a pressure match, is not doing too badly. The last three Tests bear that point out.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
greg said:
And the teams tour together on the open-top bus through London :)
I really hope that happens - it would demonstrate to all and sundry that despite everything, all the rivalries both on and off the pitch, cricket is King.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
I'd strongly counsel against underestimating the value of runs on the board. Your comment is eerily reminiscent of the last three Tests where, even though England scored 400+, people were saying that Australia were somehow ahead, as the pitch was an 'absolute belter'. People talk about scoring 500 as though it's a stroll in the park. Fact is that it seldom happens. I think any team that bats first and scores 350+ in a pressure match, is not doing too badly. The last three Tests bear that point out.
There's a difference between making 340 odd and making 440 odd though. A very, very big difference, in fact. Especially with England missing Jones, and the pitch not offering much for Giles, and Anderson not being picked. That leaves three bowlers to do the damage, and if England can't make 350 I think Australia will be very pleased, all things considered. If they make 400 though, especially with the momentum from a good morning's batting, that could be different.

howardj

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
There's a difference between making 340 odd and making 440 odd though. A very, very big difference, in fact. Especially with England missing Jones, and the pitch not offering much for Giles, and Anderson not being picked. That leaves three bowlers to do the damage, and if England can't make 350 I think Australia will be very pleased, all things considered. If they make 400 though, especially with the momentum from a good morning's batting, that could be different.
I agree with that. However my post was more in response to the claim that if England get rolled for 350 and Austraila bat well, they are 'well on the way to winning'. The way I see it is that even if England get rolled for 350 tomorrow, both Australia's form and the pressure that comes from the opposition having runs on the board in such a big game, dictate that Australia will not be able to inflict any real damage - in terms of a noteworthy first innings lead - on England.