• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Steulen said:
Looking at the amount of reverse that Tait got, and the inital seam and bounce that McGrath got...Harmison / Flintoff / Hoggard might be enough to do it.
Harmison & Hoggard aren't great exponents of reverse swing in this series when the ball has gotten older Freddie/Jones & Gilo have done most of the bowling now that Jones is gone England attack has weakened severley thus i am confident Australia can post a big 1st innings total.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Steulen said:
On the Collingwood dismissal:

This is actually more of a general problem I have with LBW's. The word is that Collingwood was incorrectly judged LBW because the ball hit him outside off. However, this is only relevant if you're attempting a shot. Colly hid his bat behind his front leg, so imho he wasn't playing a shot. In general, you'll see people given not out in these circumstances so in that sense his dismissal was unfortunate), however I feel it was a correct decision by Koertzen (otoh, that Strauss edge was just beyond silly). What's your opinion?
Think you're possibly giving Colly too much credit for it there; just looked as if he was v late on it to me. I know lots of batters hide the bat when playing spinners (or rather facing spinners, cos they aren't playing them at all!), but when a guy is reversing it @ close to 90mph you're v brave (or just daft) to tuck your bat behind your pad.

Not out for mine, but there's been worse given this series (Katich & Martyn's first bad one spring to mind).

Oz slightly ahead in the game for me, but hard to tell until they bat. I'd like 400, but think 350-365 more realistic.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Here's a little prediction to consider - both Bell and Collingwood will take at least one wicket each in Australia's first innings.

greg

International Debutant
Barney Rubble said:
Here's a little prediction to consider - both Bell and Collingwood will take at least one wicket each in Australia's first innings.
They won't both bowl, let alone both take a wicket

greg

International Debutant
Steulen said:
On the Collingwood dismissal:

This is actually more of a general problem I have with LBW's. The word is that Collingwood was incorrectly judged LBW because the ball hit him outside off. However, this is only relevant if you're attempting a shot. Colly hid his bat behind his front leg, so imho he wasn't playing a shot. In general, you'll see people given not out in these circumstances so in that sense his dismissal was unfortunate), however I feel it was a correct decision by Koertzen (otoh, that Strauss edge was just beyond silly). What's your opinion?
Nah. Collingwood is basically a front foot player, with an initial movement in that direction. He was consistently planting his front foot very early, albeit after picking up the line of the ball quite well, the problem on his dismissal was that the ball hit him on the toe on the full - had it been a fraction shorter then the bat would have come through and hit the ball. It is a technique which worked for David Steele, but few others 8-)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
greg said:
They won't both bowl, let alone both take a wicket
Well that's just it you see - I think they will both bowl, and they will both take a wicket. England won't dismiss Australia on that wicket having used only 4 bowlers. Only 4 bowlers might get wickets, but more than that will be used, and Colly won't be very effective, so Bell and Vaughan himself may come into play if Australia bat long.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Question for English fans...

If it came down to England setting a target for Australia in the fourth innings, would you prefer that England go for the win or accept the draw and series victory? Say the choice was there between setting an extremely unlikely but plausible 400 in a day and having a shot at bowling Australia out as they went for the target, or batting on and setting Australia 500 in half a day with no chance for victory for either side, what would you prefer?
If we got to that stage then we'd have to bat on and on - there's a difference between playing for the draw on Day 1 and ensuring it on Day 4/5

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The only way they'll both get a wicket is if Harmison and Flintoff experience a Waugh-Gillespie issue in the outfield.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Slow Love™ said:
I think Lee was sure, and so was Gilly - if the appeal had an impact on Rudi's decision (not that it should, but everybody seems to take it for granted that it occurs), it may have been Warne's expression at first slip that failed to sell it. His initial pursed lips said "boy, that was close", before he genuinely went up afterwards.
Add in the reaction of Strauss (who didn't turn to watch the ball) and I wonder if he hit the ball or the ground?

greg

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Add in the reaction of Strauss (who didn't turn to watch the ball) and I wonder if he hit the ball or the ground?
He hit the ball. But contrary to the original poster i don't think Gilly realised he hit it.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Steulen said:
Ermmm...what?
yo Steulen, where do you live in Holland ?
ever been on the KNCB forum its rediculously funny overthere :D lol.
still wondering how you got into king of sports.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
greg said:
No it makes no difference.
I thought then the umpire has to assume the ball will continue in the direction it was going though?

In which case that ball was clearly hitting the stumps.

greg

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
I thought then the umpire has to assume the ball will continue in the direction it was going though?

In which case that ball was clearly hitting the stumps.
It was a "bad decision" because it hit him outside the line of off stump, not because it wasn't hitting.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
if only the torrential downpour over my house would take residence over the oval. :p

anyway another decent score for shah today. must have a decent chance ofa winter tour place maybe even the spot in the middle order

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
superkingdave said:
if only the torrential downpour over my house would take residence over the oval. :p

anyway another decent score for shah today. must have a decent chance ofa winter tour place maybe even the spot in the middle order
Lol shah wont get near the England team...EVER.