• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Adamc said:
Haha, that was a long way outside the line. Oh well, amends for Strauss still being there, I guess. Good ball nonetheless. Huge opportunity for Australia to get themselves into a good position - 350 on this pitch is sub-par.
Same guff that was said for the previous 3 Tests. Strauss has to make the awful decision he got count.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Yep, poor call there, and it really does seem these days that if you get hit on the foot on the full, the umpires are going to give it out. Good not-out call from Billy earlier for the one that was curving down the leg side.

Well, we're hanging in there! What we wouldn't do for a couple more wickets before stumps.

Should we take the new ball? I think we'd be best off holding on to this one.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Should we take the new ball? I think we'd be best off holding on to this one.
I'd leave it for maybe an extra over or two from Tait, depending on how he goes. As long as he looks like taking a wicket with the old ball, keep him on, and then let McGrath and Lee finish the day. Australia really need one more... that will get the tail in and make a sub-350 score fairly likely. 7-320 or so and it's Australia's day, although very marginally.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Brilliant catch there. Australia have taken everything today, including three very tough catches. It makes such a big difference in the end.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Great catch. Hopefully Australia won't allow the tail to hit them around as they have done a few times to date...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone got a clue about how many times a spinner has taken 5 wickets on the first day of test match ?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Anyone got a clue about how many times a spinner has taken 5 wickets on the first day of test match ?
Good question that. It might have happened quite a few times though, I can certainly imagine it happening for Murali on a Kandy dustbowl, particularly against Zimbabwe or something.

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
It's not against the rules, so it's not cheating.

It is of course horribly dishonest and I'd be very disappointed if an Australian player did it, btu it's not cheating.
Nor was bodyline.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Demolition Man said:
Nor was bodyline.
Yea, fair enough, lets ban all the cricketers who whine, harass the umpire, don't walk when they edge the ball. Australia would have to go scouting the nurseries to form an XI.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
jesus i thought i would never get home, i was getting worried this afternoon listening to Strauss/Freddie bat but their gone & boy Warne is making his last test in England count for sure. Its been Australia's day so far for sure, to bowl England out would be great :D

Slow Love™

International Captain
Seven overs to go today - come on boys, a wicket or two tonight and things will get pretty exciting...

As I write this, a direct hit gets referred to the third umpire - looks like he's home though.