• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

tooextracool

International Coach
Samuel_Vimes said:
Well, excuse me! I just remember Marc saying it, you might have as well, sorry for forgetting you. Happy?
well it wasnt an attack against you personally. im just a bit touchy about the simon jones topic, because ive rated him long before most people knew who he was and what he bowled, and it gets a bit annoying to see my exact words being credited to someone else.

tooextracool

International Coach
Dasa said:
Clarke's 2nd innings knock was very impressive. Even though he was out in a stupid fashion, the fact that he ground it out for 170 balls shows (IMO at least) that he's finally learning to curb his shots a little and play more as he should at Test level.
yea clarke looks good, its all about temperament for him. he looks confident at the crease, but he plays too many shots, and ends up getting himself out in the end.
another thing encouraging and not particularly surprising was that katich got runs in that last test, because it proved what i thought was wrong with him all series, his problems were all subject to not being able to pick which way flintoff reversed it.

tooextracool

International Coach
Slats4ever said:
hahaha jerk.... England got first use of a top deck.
and the deck was still a top deck when australia batted in their 1st inning as well as most of the australian 2nd inning. england bowled well, australia batted poorly.

tooextracool

International Coach
Jamee999 said:
He was going to bowl him at the end!
and if he had come on to bowl when harmison did, that wouldnt have happened ITFP, and he would have been far more useful had vaughan bowled him for more than 1 spell before the 74th over of that inning. not particularly surprising that when he did come on, he bowled a fantastic delivery that reversed and got clarke.

tooextracool

International Coach
aussie said:
why so, the oval is the fastest wicket in the land i see no reason to drop Tait after an impressive debut & why pick 2 spinners at the oval Macgills chances of playing in this series are gone. Pigeon/Bing/Sling & Hollywood will do just fine for me for the final test...
because the oval does have the habit of turning towards the end of an innings. if mcgrath and lee cant do the job, then tait wont make too much off a difference. add that to the fact that england are more prone to spin than they are to pace, and that spin at both ends should be quite effective especially against someone like flintoff. that is assuming ponting actually decides to play attacking fields instead of having 10 fielders on the boundary.

tooextracool

International Coach
Prince EWS said:
I knwo this may seem a little negative, but if I was an England selector I'd be looking to stack the batting for the next test and play for the draw.

I know they are on top at the moment, outperforming Australia etc etc, but really, chances to win the Ashes dont come along every day for England - especially not lately. Flintoff enables a change in the balance of the side without too many dramas. Simon Jones looks like he will be out, so I'd simply replace him with Colly. I'd have a little word to the curator as well.

I wouldnt change playing tactics too much - not at first anyway - I would simply change the team makeup.
i cant see the point of collingwood. if jones doesnt play, the most obvious choice is andy caddick( subject to form and fitness) because the ball may just swing at the oval.
and england must play for the win. if a team that has been superior to australia in all bar 1 game goes in with the attitude of playing for a draw then they will lose.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
I think we both picked it actually mate.

A few people did, but some ridiculed us for it...
yea we probably did, just a bit annoying to see people mix up our posts twice in the same thread in a few days.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Except you've then taken 5 minutes out of the game.
and thats a fair tradeoff for not having question marks about the result of the game and series, especially when it comes to such a great series.
and if they used it effectively enough, it wouldnt take 5 minutes.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
howardj said:
What are the odds of Fletcher finally cracking it for a smile if England win the Ashes? The same odds as Gerraint having a blemish free hour, I suspect.
To be fair to Jones, he's had many blemish free hours.

Unfortunately they all tend to coincide with England's top order piling on runs...

tooextracool

International Coach
andyc said:
I don't see how you can say he didn't hit it. The Snicko had the 'long, fat' shape that indicates bat on ground as described by Simon Hughes, but it also had a very sharp, tall part that indicates bat on ball at the same time when the bat seemed to be hitting the ball and the ground.
snicko is for all uses and purposes, totally and completely useless.

tooextracool

International Coach
Barney Rubble said:
It turned out all right for Freddie, and we pumped his ankle full of cortisone for about a year, while he was doing a lot more bowling than Jones. Admittedly Jones has the hindrance of actually being human, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I think Simon Jones will be fit for the final Test.
im going to go out on a limb and say that jones wont be fit for the final test, because hes been an a walking injury for all of his test career.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
To be fair to Jones, he's had many blemish free hours.

Unfortunately they all tend to coincide with England's top order piling on runs...
i do find it a bit odd that everytime geraint has got past 50, hes done it when flintoff has scored, and almost all of these times were in partnership with flintoff

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
yea clarke looks good, its all about temperament for him. he looks confident at the crease, but he plays too many shots, and ends up getting himself out in the end.
another thing encouraging and not particularly surprising was that katich got runs in that last test, because it proved what i thought was wrong with him all series, his problems were all subject to not being able to pick which way flintoff reversed it.
Clarke has a glaring weakness to the quick bowlers outside offstump. It is his most common dismissal. Also the way he comes only half forward to the quicks has got him in trouble a few times.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
luckyeddie said:
You know something?

It's precisely 18 hours since the fourth test ended - and sqwerty STILL hasn't started a thread with the title "Australia unlucky not to be 4-0 ahead".

Is he dead?

I'M ALIVE and I was thinking it without stating it !!

McGrath was more or less spot on with his 5-0 prediction. He obviously just didn't count on himself being unfit!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
because the oval does have the habit of turning towards the end of an innings. if mcgrath and lee cant do the job, then tait wont make too much off a difference. add that to the fact that england are more prone to spin than they are to pace, and that spin at both ends should be quite effective especially against someone like flintoff. that is assuming ponting actually decides to play attacking fields instead of having 10 fielders on the boundary.
wdalm TEC why cant you jsut be wrong for once 8-) :p

tooextracool

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
Clarke has a glaring weakness to the quick bowlers outside offstump. It is his most common dismissal. Also the way he comes only half forward to the quicks has got him in trouble a few times.
theres nothing wrong with the half forward, its the best way to play swing bowling, playing it as late as possible instead off the rubbish technique that hayden plays with that has his front foot planted in front of off stump. im not sure what the glaring weakness outside the off stump is, but hes obviously not showed any signs off it during this series.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mister Wright said:
Yup. Seen that dismissal from the second innings a number of other times.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Australia's options for 5th test

well after have a long thought here what i think Australia should do with their team selection so as the MAKE sure the ashes comes back to Australia:

PROBLEMS
- DROP hayden come on not only has he been out of form since the India tour last year but he has problems batting in England, think about the only time during his dominant 3 years (2001 march - 2004 july) that he failed in a series was here in 2001, now if thats not enough to drop him i dont know what his :sleep:

- I was strongly behind the idea of having the fire of Lee & Tait at the poms at the Oval which is renowed as the fastest pitch in the land but TEC has realerted me to the Oval's tendancy to turn later on & with England known to have problems with leg-spin Macgill should get called up.

CURE

- let Katich open with JL, istead of going for Hussey or Jaques for the time being they can pick either of them during the upcoming Australian summer..

- the bowling attack should be Pigeon/lee/Warne/MacGill & the option of calling up Watson has come to mind has a 5th bowler option instead of picking Hodge,but since he isn't in the squad it seems unlikely but i dont see why Australia cant call up someone from the county circuit

My suggested line-up:

Langer
Katich
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Hodge or Watson
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Pigeon
Steww