• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

matty1818

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
everyone is going on about Hayden and Gilchrist not finding form and being out of touch, has anyone considered that they maybe perfectly in form but never faced a decent pace attack since the nineties and are thus not actually that good?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
matty1818 said:
everyone is going on about Hayden and Gilchrist not finding form and being out of touch, has anyone considered that they maybe perfectly in form but never faced a decent pace attack since the nineties and are thus not actually that good?
are you saying that Gilchirst is overrated :-O hell no he is truly a a living legend maybe he hasn't faced a top all-round attack since his debut againts PAK but doesn't take away his heroics.....

how can you say Hayden is perfectly in form have you seen Hayden in test since India 2004???, if u did you wouldn't say that....

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
matty1818 said:
hahaha NFI

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
Hayden is batting about the same that Slater was before he was dropped last Ashes in England.

Should be go? i think so. Hussey is batting alot better than the whole Aussie team.

Isolator

State 12th Man
matty1818 said:
Good point.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Hayden is a bit of a flat track bully, but I think Gilchrist is a good lot better than him. But then again, playing 4 good seamers, who are all different, and a more than decent spinner... That would be tough for any batsman.

tooextracool

International Coach
matty1818 said:
hayden hasnt, at least hes never succeeded against one that managed to get the ball to seam or swing. i cant see how hayden is 'out of form' when hes been scoring in the warm up games.
gilchrist has, but i dont think too many bowlers have gone around the wicket and used flintoff's tactic as effectively as flintoff has.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
tooextracool said:
gilchrist has, but i dont think too many bowlers have gone around the wicket and used flintoff's tactic as effectively as flintoff has.
Vaas and Gough, circa 1999. But Gilchrist has adjusted to that right arm around angle, which is quite different to the left arm over one - and there are very few left arm over bowlers in the world. And if you look at Flintoff's point of release, it is virtually where a left arm over bowler would be releasing it from. When you add this to movement both ways, it's not hard to see why Gilchrist is struggling.

six_and_out

Cricket Spectator
Hussey's turn?

Hi everyone :)

Full credit to England, we've been outplayed - and, sadly, outclassed. We need to win at The Oval.

Shane Warne has proved that there is nothing that he cannot do - with the exception of winning it for us single-handed! His bowling performance was one of the best high-pressure bowling displays of his career. He's of great importance to us for the fifth test.

Matty Hayden desperately needs to get back to some Australian pitches and he'll no doubt return to his devastating best. Mike Hussey has been in fantastic form of late and I think he'd make a fine opener for this fifth test. Huss and Alfie opening the batting - two West Aussies (the most genetically superior of Australians! :p ) - could make a great partnership. A top-order partnership we desperately need to succeed.

I'm all for Matty Hayden, I want him to keep his spot in the side, but let's just put him on lay-by until we get home. His current form and England's ability to tie him down are a potential liability to our chances of success. If the most likely selection occurs (Hayden keeps his spot) I hope he proves me wrong and I eat these words. They'll be delicious words if we can retain the Ashes.

Come on Aussie! Come on!

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
six_and_out said:
Hi everyone :)

Full credit to England, we've been outplayed - and, sadly, outclassed. We need to win at The Oval.

Shane Warne has proved that there is nothing that he cannot do - with the exception of winning it for us single-handed! His bowling performance was one of the best high-pressure bowling displays of his career. He's of great importance to us for the fifth test.

Matty Hayden desperately needs to get back to some Australian pitches and he'll no doubt return to his devastating best. Mike Hussey has been in fantastic form of late and I think he'd make a fine opener for this fifth test. Huss and Alfie opening the batting - two West Aussies (the most genetically superior of Australians! :p ) - could make a great partnership. A top-order partnership we desperately need to succeed.

I'm all for Matty Hayden, I want him to keep his spot in the side, but let's just put him on lay-by until we get home. His current form and England's ability to tie him down are a potential liability to our chances of success. If the most likely selection occurs (Hayden keeps his spot) I hope he proves me wrong and I eat these words. They'll be delicious words if we can retain the Ashes.

Come on Aussie! Come on!
If it were a perfect world this would be the case, give Hayden a rest, however if he gets dropped he will never play for Australia again. Unless he starts cracking hundreds for Qld and the new opener doesn't succeed.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
sqwerty said:
I'M ALIVE and I was thinking it without stating it !!

McGrath was more or less spot on with his 5-0 prediction. He obviously just didn't count on himself being unfit!
Glad to hear it

:notworthy

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Five wins out of five if Mr. McGrath plays and NO wins (with one to go) if he doesnt, speaks volumes for this "great" Australian side !!

So this is not the greatest side of all times. It is a pretty lousy side PLUS the greatest single handed match winner of all time, right ?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
If i were the Aussie Selector i would pick

Langer
Hussey
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Katich
Gilchrist (he will come good)
Warne
Lee
McGrath
Macgill

Rough on tait who did little wrong but Macgill is mroe experienced and England dont play leg spin as well as pace. Tait will get plenty more oportunities

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
Five wins out of five if Mr. McGrath plays and NO wins (with one to go) if he doesnt, speaks volumes for this "great" Australian side !!

So this is not the greatest side of all times. It is a pretty lousy side PLUS the greatest single handed match winner of all time, right ?

He said if the side plays to its ability, which it hasnt, mainly in the batting.

Mister Wright

tooextracool said:
theres nothing wrong with the half forward, its the best way to play swing bowling, playing it as late as possible instead off the rubbish technique that hayden plays with that has his front foot planted in front of off stump. im not sure what the glaring weakness outside the off stump is, but hes obviously not showed any signs off it during this series.
There's a diffence between playing late and half forward.

Secondly, Clarke is always feeling at balls outside the offstump when he shouldn't, that is probably his most common mode of dismissal...Khan on debut, Akhtar, Sami, now Hoggard, and a few others I can't remember. LBW has to be his next, getting caught half forward, that's happened at least twice this series.

Promissing batsman, but just not ready for test cricket yet.

Mister Wright

SJS said:

Its becoming a little more obvious now. However when the team was at its peak, it did have Gillespie in form and Steve Waugh.

andyc

Come the tour match, Hayden will be played to 'find some form,' which he'll do, but still fail if selected. I say drop Hayden for the tour match, and maybe Katich or Clarke because they're playing well as is, and then bring in Hussey and Hodge to see how they fair.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Clarke

Promissing batsman, but just not ready for test cricket yet.

yet hes still averaging more than everyone in the side except Ponting against a fast bowling dominant side - which would be the type of bowling hes weakest against.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
andyc said:
Come the tour match, Hayden will be played to 'find some form,' which he'll do, but still fail if selected
agreed - Hayden in tests 180 @ 22.5

Hayden List A -436 @ 40
Hayden FC - 334 @ 33

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
He said if the side plays to its ability, which it hasnt, mainly in the batting.
What kind of a prediction is that ?

I can say India will beat Australia 5-0 and when they fail to do so, claim they did not pay to limit of their ability.

The fact is that McGrath put his big foot in his mouth when he claimed Australia will win 5-0 and it is a bit tricky getting it out.
:p