• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
andyc said:
I agree there, almost makes you wonder if Australia should choose to bat second.
Why? Warne would LOVE to have England playing defensive cricket for a day to save the match!

Unless it turns out to be a shock greentop or something, Australia must win the toss and bat at The Oval and make a good score to put pressure on England's batting. We've seen twice in the series so far what can happen in that situation.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
andyc said:
I agree there, almost makes you wonder if Australia should choose to bat second.
A good captain's never afraid to make decisions - but they have to be at least feasible.

I honestly cannot envisage a situation where anyone could win the toss at The Oval and bowl.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I watch watching the Back Page tonight, and somone (can't remember the guy's name) made a very interesting point. He said that the current team has been such a successful unit and have been so dominant for so long. He said that this team should be given the opportunity to prove that they are as good as they say they are and the team should go into the test unchanged, or at least McGrath in for Tait. They should be given the chance as a unit to either say, "we are not going to let you take our mantle so easily." Or to say, "fair enough you beat us fair and square - time for a new era."

What are everyone's (I'm mainly looking at the Aussie supporters) thoughts on this? Should we give this unit there last harrah, or do we get the new blood in immediately (assuming we are going to bring in other players from outside the squad.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
Do you reckon you'll be able to hold it together if The Oval is as tense as Trent Bridge?

(I reckon if it's as tense I might go fishing myself)
I certainly won't be able to hold it together - if anyone hasn't seen me writing it in big capitals all over this board recently, I'm going to Day 5 of the Oval with two mates. If it's as tense as any of the last three matches, I think there may be a high death toll among the crowd there.

EDIT: 1,000 posts for me, yay!

Steulen

International Regular
Mister Wright said:
I watch watching the Back Page tonight, and somone (can't remember the guy's name) made a very interesting point. He said that the current team has been such a successful unit and have been so dominant for so long. He said that this team should be given the opportunity to prove that they are as good as they say they are and the team should go into the test unchanged, or at least McGrath in for Tait. They should be given the chance as a unit to either say, "we are not going to let you take our mantle so easily." Or to say, "fair enough you beat us fair and square - time for a new era."

What are everyone's (I'm mainly looking at the Aussie supporters) thoughts on this? Should we give this unit there last harrah, or do we get the new blood in immediately (assuming we are going to bring in other players from outside the squad.
Too much symbolism. If they do that, they would actually agree that this is the end of an era.

I would infinitely prefer Australia to go in with the best 11 they can think of (i.e., Hussey for Hayden, McGrath for Kasprowicz, if unfit perhaps MacGill?) to a Charge of the Light Brigade type Famous Last Stand.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mister Wright said:

Wouldn't that mean a recall for Dizzy too then?! :D

I think he's making a valid argument, but I've seen little evidence from certain quarters (Hayden mainly but Gilchrist too to a lesser extent, although he's obviously bomb-proof) that they have it in them to come up to the mark for the fifth.

FWIW I think Hayden still has a better than 50/50 shout at playing in the fifth tho. I wouldn't pick him tho, time to grasp the nettle.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BoyBrumby said:
Wouldn't that mean a recall for Dizzy too then?! :D

I think he's making a valid argument, but I've seen little evidence from certain quarters (Hayden mainly but Gilchrist too to a lesser extent, although he's obviously bomb-proof) that they have it in them to come up to the mark for the fifth.

FWIW I think Hayden still has a better than 50/50 shout at playing in the fifth tho. I wouldn't pick him tho, time to grasp the nettle.
I'm the biggest Matty Hayden fan on this forum, and I am very worried, in his favour there are no other real opening options. Also, there are people claiming that Jaques & Hussey's county form should see them in the side, but when you look at it, Hayden has done very well in the tour games, yet hasn't raised his level for the test, you could agrue the same may happen for either of them.

However, you can only ride on your past performances for so long. Martyn was given well over a year to score a century, when making starts, but the difference is, we were a winning side, despite that.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Well, Simon Jones looks doubtful, lets listen to the Barmy Army.

WE WANT RIKKI! WE WANT RIKKI! WE WANT RIKKI! WE WANT RIKKI!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mister Wright said:
I'm the biggest Matty Hayden fan on this forum, and I am very worried, in his favour there are no other real opening options. Also, there are people claiming that Jaques & Hussey's county form should see them in the side, but when you look at it, Hayden has done very well in the tour games, yet hasn't raised his level for the test, you could agrue the same may happen for either of them.

However, you can only ride on your past performances for so long. Martyn was given well over a year to score a century, when making starts, but the difference is, we were a winning side, despite that.
Think you've hit the nail on the head when you say you were a winning side. If we were 3-0 down (as we could easily be) I'm sure all us Poms would be calling for Bell's & G Jones's ar$es on a platter too.

Gilly must have bailed out your top order dozens of times too, his lack of runs have really shown up the others' failings. Admittedly Warne & Lee have compensated a fair bit tho, runs from 8-11 is the one area where you've been consistently better than us this series.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Can only be good if Jones misses. I like Tremlett a lot and think he's a good bowler, but I'd much rather have him playing than Jones, as I think on a flat pitch Tremlett might go for some runs.

Collingwood would of course be all but useless if conditions weren't helping him with the ball, but could potentially be a pain with the bat.

howardj

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Collingwood would of course be all but useless if conditions weren't helping him with the ball, but could potentially be a pain with the bat.
They only play good fielders like Collingwood, as fielding subs, don't they? :p