• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Demonstrably not! Still wandering thru a fog of non-comprehension.... :D
Don't come crying to me when some homicidal maniac comes at you brandishing a razor-sharp score from Cosi Fan Tutti then

BoyBrumby

Englishman
luckyeddie said:
Don't come crying to me when some homicidal maniac comes at you brandishing a razor-sharp score from Cosi Fan Tutti then
Aw. I had you on speed-dial for that very eventuality.... :cry: :D

Slow Love™

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
Obviously the technology/operetta gang wars haven't hit your neck of the woods yet.
Bwahahaha!

Seriously though, you guys haven't heard of the Nerds and the Julios? I can see a Pom being bewildered, but the Aussie supporters really should be up on these things.

There are two distinct social groups within the Aussie team. The Nerds and the Julios. The Julios are the fashionable elites - the Warnes, the Clarkes, the Lees. The Nerds are the guys that don't really give a stuff - the Haydens, the Gilchrists, the Gillespies.

There's probably some movement between groups - ie, McGrath was probably a Nerd, but could now possibly lay claim to being a Julio. I have no idea about Ponting - I'd assume Nerd, but he does seem to care a lot about that thinning pate of his.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I was a bit surprised by Gilchirst when I saw him on Steve Abbott's lunchtime show during the cricket recently, as he's actually quite a bright lad. He's got quite good comic timing and is very witty, not at all what I'd expect from him based on the interviews and so on that I've seen.

The bit where he was pretending to be Shaun Tait while Abbott interviewed him was hilarious.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Slow Love™ said:
Bwahahaha!

Seriously though, you guys haven't heard of the Nerds and the Julios? I can see a Pom being bewildered, but the Aussie supporters really should be up on these things.

There are two distinct social groups within the Aussie team. The Nerds and the Julios. The Julios are the fashionable elites - the Warnes, the Clarkes, the Lees. The Nerds are the guys that don't really give a stuff - the Haydens, the Gilchrists, the Gillespies.

There's probably some movement between groups - ie, McGrath was probably a Nerd, but could now possibly lay claim to being a Julio. I have no idea about Ponting - I'd assume Nerd, but he does seem to care a lot about that thinning pate of his.
Ah!

That would explain McGrath's new hairdo! I just thought it was a mid-life crisis! :D

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Slow Love™ said:
Looks like Ponting was unhappy about how long the substitute's been on the field there, but in reality, it's been a real stroke of luck for us that Jones has been off for so long.

Although there's some suggestion that England have been rotating their fast bowlers off the field and leaving the subbie on. Not a good thing, if that's the case, and the umpires should get on top of this if it's genuinely occurring.

Ponting might have been fairly angry at Marto for the silly call (and it was) too, but it's hard to tell whether he could have perhaps made that if he hadn't been so hesitant. Pretty brainless stuff from Marto under the circumstances though, to just tap it straight to the fielder and run like that.
In test match cricket nobody should be run out, it is giving your wicket away. Sometimes you can be beaten by a bowler or play a silly shot and that's fair enough, but being run out is just ridiculous. Ricky Ponting should leave the shouting for his team mates not the opposition.

Slow Love™

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
I was a bit surprised by Gilchirst when I saw him on Steve Abbott's lunchtime show during the cricket recently, as he's actually quite a bright lad. He's got quite good comic timing and is very witty, not at all what I'd expect from him based on the interviews and so on that I've seen.

The bit where he was pretending to be Shaun Tait while Abbott interviewed him was hilarious.
Gilchrist is actually very intelligent and articulate, with a good sense of humor. Obviously one of those guys who's fairly socially adept, too.

I didn't see him on Steve Abbott's show though, because I couldn't bring myself to watch it after the first one. It's really awful. He (Abbott) had a good schtick back in the Sandman years, but outside that persona he always looks inept and terrified.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nnanden said:
I reckon it looks cool...
Maybe on someone your age, but Pidge is a 35 year-old. I can just picture him in front of the mirror,

"The trash-talk, the tan, the new blonde highlighted mullet; Glenn, mate, you've still got it. 5-0, 5-0, 5-0!" :D

andyc

Slow Love™ said:
Gilchrist is actually very intelligent and articulate, with a good sense of humor. Obviously one of those guys who's fairly socially adept, too.

I didn't see him on Steve Abbott's show though, because I couldn't bring myself to watch it after the first one. It's really awful. He (Abbott) had a good schtick back in the Sandman years, but outside that persona he always looks inept and terrified.
I've loved that show. Awesome

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
You know something?

It's precisely 18 hours since the fourth test ended - and sqwerty STILL hasn't started a thread with the title "Australia unlucky not to be 4-0 ahead".

Is he dead?

Scaly piscine

luckyeddie said:
You know something?

It's precisely 18 hours since the fourth test ended - and sqwerty STILL hasn't started a thread with the title "Australia unlucky not to be 4-0 ahead".

Is he dead?
I reckon his head finally exploded.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:

It got a lot better I thought. The first one was poor, but it did get very funny, and the Tait/Gilchrist interview was priceless, and there's been a few other good bits too.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scaly piscine said:
I reckon his head finally exploded.
Do you reckon you'll be able to hold it together if The Oval is as tense as Trent Bridge?

(I reckon if it's as tense I might go fishing myself)

Scaly piscine

luckyeddie said:
Do you reckon you'll be able to hold it together if The Oval is as tense as Trent Bridge?

(I reckon if it's as tense I might go fishing myself)
If England are batting I doubt it, it's much easier to watch them bowl just because of the nature of the highs and lows in cricket.

greg

International Debutant
Scaly piscine said:
If England are batting I doubt it, it's much easier to watch them bowl just because of the nature of the highs and lows in cricket.
I think it's odds on England are going to have to bat out the last day for a draw.

andyc

greg said:
I think it's odds on England are going to have to bat out the last day for a draw.
I agree there, almost makes you wonder if Australia should choose to bat second.