• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Vaughan is usually fairly defensive with his field placings, it's rather odd for someone with quite a strong team.
To be fair - it's worked a fair degree.

Australia are used to scoring at 4 an over - he's reduced that considerably.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
social said:
Aus supporters shouldnt get too ****y about Jones' ineptness, were being beaten by a team with no keeper and no spinner.

11 on 9 and were still being thrashed.
Interesting that the 11 allegedly includes 7 batsmen - so is it not 4 on 9?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
broncoman said:
hopefully he and tait hit a few batsmen in the head later this afternoon...
someone smashing that grin off Vaughan's face would do the trick
If this is the pathetic way the Aussies are going to react to being beaten, can we go back to them winning all the time please - at least the forum wouldn't be full of such drivel.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
My man Ian Bell really dissapointed me today. That was the time when he had his chance to to what he does best and knuckle down yet he ended up giving his wicket away. And also Geraint Jones should have shown more restraint than that when we had a whole day to get 18 singles to win a match. on the whole, i thought we let those aussies get too close [corr blimey Brett lee was fired up wasn't he!]. Freddie got man of the match but for me it was really Hoggard {that 4 he hit off Brett Lee was an absolute twelve in the situation.] who was my personal man of the match, him and Harmy where fantastic in tthe second innings, not letting the Aussies get away on a good pitch.

And after Warne's exploits in the final innings, we might have to think twice next time about making you Aussies follow-on. And that justin Langer is a hard nut isn't he. All grit and determination,
In the end well done to all the guys apart from Bell who should have done better. I now dont blame the selectors if he gets dropped that was an absoluetly rank Nothing shot. Should have known better with Collingwood and the likes clipping away at his heels

Cheers,

Speedking

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
social said:
Eng wont change (why would they when theyre winning), Aus must.
But what left do they have to try?

All the bowlers have hada go, bar MacGill - and I can't see him being the saviour.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
If this is the pathetic way the Aussies are going to react to being beaten, can we go back to them winning all the time please - at least the forum wouldn't be full of such drivel.
come on Marc not everyone has a sportsmanship attitude..... :p

greg

International Debutant
SpeedKing said:
My man Ian Bell really dissapointed me today. That was the time when he had his chance to to what he does best and knuckle down yet he ended up giving his wicket away. And also Geraint Jones should have shown more restraint than that when we had a whole day to get 18 singles to win a match. on the whole, i thought we let those aussies get too close [corr blimey Brett lee was fired up wasn't he!]. Freddie got man of the match but for me it was really Hoggard {that 4 he hit off Brett Lee was an absolute twelve in the situation.] who was my personal man of the match, him and Harmy where fantastic in tthe second innings, not letting the Aussies get away on a good pitch.

And after Warne's exploits in the final innings, we might have to think twice next time about making you Aussies follow-on. And that justin Langer is a hard nut isn't he. All grit and determination,
In the end well done to all the guys apart from Bell who should have done better. I now dont blame the selectors if he gets dropped that was an absoluetly rank Nothing shot. Should have known better with Collingwood and the likes clipping away at his heels

Cheers,

Speedking
Bell gets a fair bit of bat on it (probably tried to control the shot too much) and gets caught. Pietersen gets a top edge to the same shot, clears the keeper by inches and gets four.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
come on Marc not everyone has a sportsmanship attitude..... :p
I agree.

Personally, I'm amazed at how well many have taken the prospect of defeat - all right, the Ashes are still up for grabs but there's now a REAL possibility of having to come to terms that there's some other team worthy of mention in the same breath after a decade (the last lot really being the Windies and the Seth Efrikans), and that other team being the Poms.

At the end of the day, we're still all cricket fans though, and that supposedly counts for something.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
greg said:
Bell gets a fair bit of bat on it (probably tried to control the shot too much) and gets caught. Pietersen gets a top edge to the same shot, clears the keeper by inches and gets four.
The margin between aggression and foolhardiness is a narrow one indeed.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
I agree.

Personally, I'm amazed at how well many have taken the prospect of defeat - all right, the Ashes are still up for grabs but there's now a REAL possibility of having to come to terms that there's some other team worthy of mention in the same breath after a decade (the last lot really being the Windies and the Seth Efrikans), and that other team being the Poms.

At the end of the day, we're still all cricket fans though, and that supposedly counts for something.
Apparantly not in some quarters.

Having said that, when I were a lad I was a little more bullish and partisan, but then I grew up and now I appreciate the opposition/game as a whole a lot more.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
That's a big call to make after being outplayed for 3 Tests in a row.
not really when McGrath plays he has an effect on Englands batsmen thus once he plays at the oval i'll back Australia to win.....

greg

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
But have they really been close.

The results are misleading.
Using that logic you could say most of the tests last summer were close. It's just England ran away with them on the last day.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Barney Rubble said:
Wow. What a day, what a game, what a series. Great effort from England, and Matthew Hoggard's boundary may just have been the most important thing he ever does in an England shirt.
I don't know.

Remember the SA test in the winter?