• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Strauss shelling Langer might well prove to be a significant moment - Langer had already enjoyed two huge slices of fortune in not dragging on a couple of times, but that drop was a real surprise.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Slow Love™ said:
I actually think there's a pretty strong argument for replacing Hayden with Hussey next match, and not waiting until the end of the series for the inevitable axing. I think our situation could accurately be described as desperate. There's no shame in the word - the seventh listed definition in the dictionary is "extremely intense".

Even if for whatever reason we don't persist with Hussey long-term, he obviously handles the conditions over there extremely well, and Hayden at this time is essentially deadwood - a man awaiting the noose. There really has to be a limit as to how long we're willing to carry a guy that just isn't coping, in a series we're losing. We already carried Gillespie for too long. The series isn't over yet, McGrath will be returning, and if we can somehow manage to win the last test, we can still retain the Ashes, improbable as that may seem right now.
Hayden has to be given at least until the end of the series. Yes it has been over a year since his last century and yes he isn't playing that well. But, it isn't like the other batsman in the top 6 have been dominating in the series, if they had and Hayden was struggling I would have to concede he be dropped, but he should be given until the end of the series.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Slow Love™ said:
I actually think there's a pretty strong argument for replacing Hayden with Hussey next match, and not waiting until the end of the series for the inevitable axing. I think our situation could accurately be described as desperate. There's no shame in the word - the seventh listed definition in the dictionary is "extremely intense".

Even if for whatever reason we don't persist with Hussey long-term, he obviously handles the conditions over there extremely well, and Hayden at this time is essentially deadwood - a man awaiting the noose. There really has to be a limit as to how long we're willing to carry a guy that just isn't coping, in a series we're losing. We already carried Gillespie for too long. The series isn't over yet, McGrath will be returning, and if we can somehow manage to win the last test, we can still retain the Ashes, improbable as that may seem right now.
I'd definitely agree about dropping Hayden. He just doesn't look up to playing top-notch fast bowling. I think it's no coincidence that his rise to greatness (& he certainly was in great form for at least 3 years, even if I don't think he is an actually great player) came at about the same time as the end of The Windies dynasty & the slow decline of Wasim & Waqar.

I don't know how Oz would stand about bringing in a player from outside of the squad for reasons other than injury tho. I personally think that even if they can’t bring Hussey in Katich should move up to open & Hodge come in @ 6.

It might be interesting to see if Hayden picks up a "strain" of some fashion between now & the 5th which prompts the summoning of Hussey to the colours.... :p

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
I'd definitely agree about dropping Hayden. He just doesn't look up to playing top-notch fast bowling. I think it's no coincidence that his rise to greatness (& he certainly was in great form for at least 3 years, even if I don't think he is an actually great player) came at about the same time as the end of The Windies dynasty & the slow decline of Wasim & Waqar.

I don't know how Oz would stand about bringing in a player from outside of the squad for reasons other than injury tho. I personally think that even if they can’t bring Hussey in Katich should move up to open & Hodge come in @ 6.

It might be interesting to see if Hayden picks up a "strain" of some fashion between now & the 5th which prompts the summoning of Hussey to the colours.... :p
Ooooh, conspiracy theories ... I reckon Jacques is also a candidate for the opening position. The start of the Pura Cup season could be very important for Jacques and M Hussey

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Slow Love™ said:
Tony Greig reminiscing about copping an eyeful of Simon Jones in some tight jeans and a t-shirt...
Often have my doubts about Greigy. Some of his banter will Bill Lawry borders on the fruity (in both senses of the word!) too..... :huh: :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Tony Greig reminiscing about copping an eyeful of Simon Jones in some tight jeans and a t-shirt...
Greig has been in blistering form tonight. His little fight with Boycott earlier where he said that Geoffrey was reaching the age where he should be playing bowls was a ripper.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
FaaipDeOiad said:
Greig has been in blistering form tonight. His little fight with Boycott earlier where he said that Geoffrey was reaching the age where he should be playing bowls was a ripper.
Expand on the little fight please :)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Expand on the little fight please :)
Just Boycott and Greig tossing around light-hearted insults. Boycott said something about cricket whites I believe, and Greig responded by suggesting that at Boycott's age he would be playing bowls instead, and Boycott gathered himself and then responded that at least he would still be able to fit into the white pants he played cricket in, while Greig would need three extra sizes.

Slow Love™

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:

Yeah, I would take Hodge - for some reason I keep mis-remembering that Hussey was in the test squad instead of being restricted only to the ODIs. I would have liked to have seen him out there though, given the form he showed.

Were we winning the series (or even paradoxically, if it had already been lost), I might not mind perservering with Hayden for one more game, but seeing as we still have a chance to save it and retain the Ashes, I think that Hayden's been pretty much the bat equivalent of Gillespie, in that it's just been too long since he's really performed, and he's purely excess baggage. While the other bats have certainly struggled this series, his poor record and lack of concentration has been an issue for some time and I just can't see any value in keeping him.

andyc

FaaipDeOiad said:
Just Boycott and Greig tossing around light-hearted insults. Boycott said something about cricket whites I believe, and Greig responded by suggesting that at Boycott's age he would be playing bowls instead, and Boycott gathered himself and then responded that at least he would still be able to fit into the white pants he played cricket in, while Greig would need three extra sizes.
:laugh::laugh:

Nothing like two old men having words.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
That was gold ... Australia has got to 100 fairly easily whereas they were already 5-down in the first innings at this stage. Repeat boys, "Concentration and application"

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slightly worried about Langer against Giles.

Langer can definately play spin once he gets set against it, but he almost seems to have to start over. I've been him play some glorious knocks against spin like his big hundred in Sri Lanka against Murali, but he also often gets to 30 or 40 and then a spinner comes on and gets him out straight away.

Last over before tea. Australia's session if they survive.

andyc

burkey_1988 said:
That was gold ... Australia has got to 100 fairly easily whereas they were already 5-down in the first innings at this stage. Repeat boys, "Concentration and application"
I know, quite sad really.