• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
so the aussies begin their ashes tour with a good fought out win. Nice to see Tremlett carrying his good county for in to this game, he was without the best bowler on show :happy:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure how a win with 1 ball remaining is 'emphatic' or 'comprehensive' like the BBC and Cricinfo respectively think.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Steulen said:
I think Croft should return if Giles remains injured. I guess he'd be less likely to crumble in a heap than any of the others.
His record at home leaves him nowhere to crumble from (unless he averages about 90)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
whats up with this game, i know its not on radio or tele but cricinfo should have something, but they dont :dry:
To be honest, this warm up game is never really covered in other years - it is the least competitive game they'll play all tour.

Scallywag

Banned
Scaly piscine said:
Not sure how a win with 1 ball remaining is 'emphatic' or 'comprehensive' like the BBC and Cricinfo respectively think.

Australia launched their tour of England with a comprehensive eight-wicket win against a PCA Master's XI at Arundel. Although they reached their target of 168 with a ball to spare, the result was never really in doubt after an opening stand of 131 between Adam Gilchrist and Matthew Hayden.

Both batsmen got in some early practice, taking advantage of friendly bowling from the PCA XI and a fast outfield. Ricky Ponting sealed the win by hitting a six off the first ball of the last over and a four off the fifth.

I think cricinfo have spelt out why its considered comprehensive.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
Both batsmen got in some early practice, taking advantage of friendly bowling from the PCA XI and a fast outfield. Ricky Ponting sealed the win by hitting a six off the first ball of the last over and a four off the fifth.

I think cricinfo have spelt out why its considered comprehensive.
And that suggests at least 10 were needed from the last over - which is hardly comprehensive.

Mister Wright

marc71178 said:
And that suggests at least 10 were needed from the last over - which is hardly comprehensive.
I don't think they mean the result was 'comprehensive' more the fact that they only lost one wicket and the openers Gilchrist & Hayden must have batted well.

Scallywag

Banned
marc71178 said:
Only 7 was required from the last over in which the first ball went for six leaving 1 run from 5 balls and A Symonds, MJ Clarke, MEK Hussey in reserve.

also if you read the content and not just the headline you will see it quite clearly explains why it was comprehensive.

Paul Collingwood managed to dismiss Hayden and Chris Tremlett accounted for Gilchrist but Australia scored freely. Devon Malcolm, 42, opened the bowling for the PCA XI and was dispatched for 38 in three overs.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
From reports and so on, I gather the result was never really in doubt. Looks like Hayden and Gilchrist batted really well, particularly happy to see Hayden in the runs again, following on from his good efforts in New Zealand. Hopefully he can answer his critics in England this tour.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
From reports and so on, I gather the result was never really in doubt. Looks like Hayden and Gilchrist batted really well, particularly happy to see Hayden in the runs again, following on from his good efforts in New Zealand. Hopefully he can answer his critics in England this tour.
His only critics is Richard and himself.