• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Scallywag

Banned
marc71178 said:
Which makes it even worse!
I agree marc it is even worse when you compare Batty to Hogg.

Hogg bowling ave in ODI's 31 batting 23
Batty bowling ave in ODI's 60 batting 1

Should have stuck with Hauritz marc his bowling is only 34 but his batting is 35

anyway whatever way you look at it both Hogg and Hauritz outclass Batty by the proverbial mile.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
Now now marc you go on about players being unproven yet you claim the ODI wicketless Swann is Englands second best spinner.
Everyone else has been tried and found out - Swann is ahead of the rest IMO.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Everyone else has been tried and found out - Swann is ahead of the rest IMO.
Personally I thought his figures were pretty moderate at Northants, especially as their home ground was supposed to be one of the most spinner-friendly in the country. And for someone who's supposed to be able to bat a bit, he doesn't seem to do very much there either. Maybe the move to Notts will give him the kick up the butt he appears to need.

All that being said, I couldn't begin to suggest who else should be our spinner if Giles is injured for the Ashes. I don't rate Batty at all, and Keedy would mean Hoggard or Jones at number 8, which I don't think's a good idea.

Steulen

International Regular
I think Croft should return if Giles remains injured. I guess he'd be less likely to crumble in a heap than any of the others.

Fat chance, though.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Steulen said:
I think Croft should return if Giles remains injured. I guess he'd be less likely to crumble in a heap than any of the others.

Fat chance, though.
And you're probably right on both counts. Still, it would give him the opportunity to retire from test cricket for a third time, which would be some sort of record.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
That was a fantastic roses clash seeing Freddie take them apart with a brutal 85.
Nah he's talking about the 2003 fixture (actually our second match) where we won by 7 wickets easily - Flintoff didn't play.

Last year Flintoff played, the match was at headingly, and though Flintoff did bat well, it was our bowlers that were taken apart by Ian Harvey in the end

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
Nah he's talking about the 2003 fixture (actually our second match) where we won by 7 wickets easily - Flintoff didn't play.

Last year Flintoff played, the match was at headingly, and though Flintoff did bat well, it was our bowlers that were taken apart by Ian Harvey in the end
oh well thats the game i attended

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Is there coverage of this somewhere other than cricinfo (which doesn't even have the TEAMS announced yet)?
Just CEEFAX (teletext), which says updates delayed - technical problems.

Edit: BBC's website hasn't gotten any further either.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
whats up with this game, i know its not on radio or tele but cricinfo should have something, but they dont :dry:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Steulen said:

Fat chance, though.
highly improbable mate

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BBC has the teams:

PCA XI: Stephen Fleming (captain), Paul Collingwood, Devon Malcolm, Darren Maddy, Paul Nixon (wkt), Chris Lewis, Graeme Swann, Mark Ealham, Kevin Pietersen, Shaun Udal, Chris Tremlett.

Australia: Ricky Ponting (capt), Adam Gilchrist (wkt), Matthew Hayden, Michael Clarke, Damien Martyn, Andrew Symonds, Michael Hussey, Shane Watson, Michael Kasprowicz, Brett Lee, Glenn McGrath.