• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Ok thanks ...so the 13th at 2.30 am foxtel..
Have the Oz named a team yet or eng,?
do you think the 20/20 will stick or just a novelty?
will the 20/20 have a world cup ?maybe be good if they had the 20/20 leading up to w/cup .
I personally dont think they will ever expnd it beyond 1 or 2 games on tour but hey they said that in 1 dayers,,,i used to think they were rubbish but they do have lots of respect now compared to before and they are certainly the cashcow for the tests??

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BARMY_LAD said:
Sheffield Shield games used to be covered by Optus and C7 but that fell through... Although I do agree with you on televising 'Shield' games I doubt that there will be too many viewers... It's hard enough to get people through the gates, if it were to be televised then the crowds would go from a couple of hundred to just a handful... We need to try and recruit foreign players to Australia, merely to draw in the crowds. If it were possible to get an Andrew Flintoff or even a semi-retired Chris Cairns they would surely be a crowd puller.
All the Pura Cup games I've been to have been anything but boring. I think something has to be done about the scheduling. The games need to at least have 2 days of the weekend, what is the point of scheduling a match to start on Tuesday or Wednesday?

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
BARMY_LAD said:
Sheffield Shield games used to be covered by Optus and C7 but that fell through... Although I do agree with you on televising 'Shield' games I doubt that there will be too many viewers... It's hard enough to get people through the gates, if it were to be televised then the crowds would go from a couple of hundred to just a handful... We need to try and recruit foreign players to Australia, merely to draw in the crowds. If it were possible to get an Andrew Flintoff or even a semi-retired Chris Cairns they would surely be a crowd puller.
Barmy i dont think the crowds would come if the players were internationals... It would certainly improve the interest in telecasting them but as to whetehr they increase the crowds significantly enough to warrant the payments these players would command is debatable,,as it is they already play with 15 to 20 of the worlds great and good players in both forms of the game and it does not bring the crowds in,i think we are spoiled for choice huh?

BARMY_LAD

Cricket Spectator
jlo33692 said:
Ok thanks ...so the 13th at 2.30 am foxtel..
Have the Oz named a team yet or eng,?
do you think the 20/20 will stick or just a novelty?
will the 20/20 have a world cup ?maybe be good if they had the 20/20 leading up to w/cup .
I personally dont think they will ever expnd it beyond 1 or 2 games on tour but hey they said that in 1 dayers,,,i used to think they were rubbish but they do have lots of respect now compared to before and they are certainly the cashcow for the tests??
Australia Squad

*Ricky Ponting
+Adam Gilchrist
Michael Clarke
Jason Gillespie
Brad Haddin
Matthew Hayden
Brad Hodge
Justin Langer
Michael Kasprowicz
Simon Katich
Brett Lee
Stuart MacGill
Damien Martyn
Glenn McGrath
Shaun Tait
Shane Warne

http://www.icc-cricket.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005/AUS_IN_ENG/

England -being the home side- dont have a 'touring squad'

As for the 20/20, I believe it will be massive, I went to Lancashire's first 20/20 (v Yorkshire at Old Trafford, 2003) and the first international 20/20 in Australia (Aus'A' v Pak- Adelaide Oval, 2005) and judging by both games it was a huge success.
The Adelaide Oval got a capacity crowd (only time that happens is on the Australia Day ODI).
Australia are following the lead of England by having a domestic 20/20 competition this season, last season in South Australia we had a 20/20 competition as district level, which was also a great success.

South Africa and Pakistan have also trialed the 20/20 format in their domestic leagues, but I'm not too sure what the responce was.

It wont be long before the prices go up on the 20/20 format and we end up paying substantial prices for what is a 4hr game! The 20/20 format suits the TV stations to a tee, instead of taking up the whole day with a 50 over a side ODI they can cram it into 4hrs.

I read an article on cricinfo not long ago saying that if Test cricket is your roast dinner, and ODI's are your Mc Donalds then 20/20 is your bag of nuts (or something to that effect).

No doubt it is an entertaining game, and should bridge the gap for the yanks to embrace the game (if that is a good thing) but its not the real thing TEST CRICKET!!!

BARMY_LAD

Cricket Spectator
jlo33692 said:
Barmy i dont think the crowds would come if the players were internationals... It would certainly improve the interest in telecasting them but as to whetehr they increase the crowds significantly enough to warrant the payments these players would command is debatable,,as it is they already play with 15 to 20 of the worlds great and good players in both forms of the game and it does not bring the crowds in,i think we are spoiled for choice huh?
Point taken.. I'm not disputing the fact that the Australian competition has some World Class players and is arguably the best domestic competition in the world, but how often do the likes of Adam Gilchrist, Glenn MCGrath, Shane Warne or Ricky Ponting play for their respected States? I just think it would bring a new dimention to the game and bring in a few more punters, also it could do wonders to promote the game further.
I also agree with the fact that better schedualing for the State games could be planned, what was wrong with starting Thursday finishing Sunday, like we used to?
If we can't get people through the door on $1 Sunday's "Dollar Day" then when can we get them in? Thats less than 30cents an hour!!!!

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BARMY_LAD said:
Point taken.. I'm not disputing the fact that the Australian competition has some World Class players and is arguably the best domestic competition in the world, but how often do the likes of Adam Gilchrist, Glenn MCGrath, Shane Warne or Ricky Ponting play for their respected States? I just think it would bring a new dimention to the game and bring in a few more punters, also it could do wonders to promote the game further.
I also agree with the fact that better schedualing for the State games could be planned, what was wrong with starting Thursday finishing Sunday, like we used to?
If we can't get people through the door on $1 Sunday's "Dollar Day" then when can we get them in? Thats less than 30cents an hour!!!!

Games should start on Saturday, so you get the first two days of the game.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
BARMY_LAD said:
As for the 20/20, I believe it will be massive, I went to Lancashire's first 20/20 (v Yorkshire at Old Trafford, 2003)
That was a fantastic roses clash seeing Freddie take them apart with a brutal 85.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
by the way is anyone certain if the entire australian ashes squad is over here currently or just those selected for the ODI's because i seem to be a bit confused

howardj

International Coach
aussie said:
by the way is anyone certain if the entire australian ashes squad is over here currently or just those selected for the ODI's because i seem to be a bit confused
The whole of the ODI squad is in England at present. Of the members of the Test squad... Warne and Hodge are in England playing County cricket, while Langer, McGill and Tait are back here in Australia and will fly out in mid July for the Ashes.

howardj

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
It is like sending Katich or Clarke in at 7. They are batsman, so is Watson - it just happens that Watson can also roll his arm over like a front line bowler. He handled batting at 3 and 4 and bowling 15-20 overs an innings for Qld, with him bowling less overs in the test side, I see no reason to bat him below Gilchrist, who has surely had to do more work with the gloves.
For sure. Watson (45) averages more than Michael Clarke (38) in FC cricket, yet it's deemed that he's not got the ability to bat at six for Australia, while Clarke has. It's as though Watson is actually being penalised because he can bowl. Instead, if the selectors had any common sense, his bowling should be treated as a bonus, not as a pre-requisite for selection.

Last edited:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
it remains that he wont play though with katich, clarke and Hodge all likley to stay ahead of him. his only chance for mine is that Australia plays 2 spinners and he becomes the 3rd pace bowler. but with Katich and Clarke capable of rolling their arms over and 4 quicks in pretty reasonable form i dont know how likley that is

howardj

International Coach
age_master said:
it remains that he wont play though with katich, clarke and Hodge all likley to stay ahead of him.
The wheel always turns in cricket. Clarke and Hodge will both fail on the Ashes tour, I reckon.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
The wheel always turns in cricket. Clarke and Hodge will both fail on the Ashes tour, I reckon.
I doubt Hodge will fail, nor do I think he will play a test. Likely that Lee, Tait, Hodge, Haddin and Watson will get their only games of the tour in tour matches, and in the case of Lee, Watson and maybe Haddin, ODIs. I expect Clarke to have an average series with one great knock... a hundred or something.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BARMY_LAD said:
England -being the home side- dont have a 'touring squad'
Beg to differ, but they have named an ODI squad :)

* Michael Vaughan
* Kabir Ali
* Gareth Batty - added 8th June
* Paul Collingwood
* Andrew Flintoff
* Ashley Giles
* Darren Gough
* Stephen Harmison
* +Geraint Jones
* Simon Jones
* Jon Lewis
* Kevin Pietersen
* Vikram Solanki
* Andrew Strauss
* Marcus Trescothick

Scallywag

Banned
Samuel_Vimes said:
Beg to differ, but they have named an ODI squad :)

* Michael Vaughan
* Kabir Ali
* Gareth Batty - added 8th June
* Paul Collingwood
* Andrew Flintoff
* Ashley Giles
* Darren Gough
* Stephen Harmison
* +Geraint Jones
* Simon Jones
* Jon Lewis
* Kevin Pietersen
* Vikram Solanki
* Andrew Strauss
* Marcus Trescothick
Batty in the team.

and some people think Australia has a weakness in their depth of bowlers.