• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
Knowing England i think with the exception of KP when the rest of the English batting line-up see the spin out their from Warne tomoro they will play him defensively thus playing right into Shane's hands which is exactly what i want :D
Did you watch any of yesterday's play?

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
What do you guys think is a good target for England to set considering Giles wil probably spin it more in the 2nd innings and the fact that these Aussies never give up. I am thinking atleast 350, talking realistically, however in my usual patriotic and a tad over optimistic self, i am thinking we should be able to set 450-plus. Wot do you guys think?

I feel that the side that win the first session tomorrow will go on to win the match. If England make sure they lose less than 3 wickets, they will win, if Aussies take more than 3, they will have the momentum and could win decisive session IMO

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
just on giles today, i thought he bowled brilliantly, his variations of pace were quite remarkable. if australia thought he was useless, he certainly proved them wrong, and he'll be a real handful in the 2nd inning.
He proved a lot of people wrong, and I have to say the little "point" he made after the first wicket was very telling indeed.

To think the commentators rambled on about him pointing to his family in the stand!

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
How could Giles be a danger man? He could be bowling in the middle of an old battle ground that still has active under ground mines and he would still struggle to get a batsman out.
he he

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
My view on today...

Got to the pub just after two with Aus approaching 180-3 and in good shape. Just after the first pint was sunk, Clarke was out, followed by Katich, not feeling to bad at tea. (we had decided to go to an Aussie bar to watch). Worried with Gilchrist and Langer at the crease, but an awesome spell by Jones broke the partnership and i thought we did well against the tail. Overall when i was watching Hoggard bowled poorly but Giles, Flintoff and Jones especially bowled well. Delighted with 308ao

Batting, looked good against the seamers, Gillespie, Lee and Kasper will have to bowl well tommorow. Warne, dangerous, jaffa of a ball to remove Strauss, but apart from Tresco our number XI is the next left hander so i would hope pad play might make the big spinner out of the rough less effective, though the variations and intelligence are still there. England need 250+ to put the pressure on, first hour tommorow is crucial

And what is Scaly going on about them carrying on after Strauss' dismissal, when warne came on i looked at my watch and though 'well there is at least time for Warnes over and another from Kasper, hopefully we can stop them getting another Warne over in' it was 54 minutes past.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpeedKing said:
What do you guys think is a good target for England to set considering Giles wil probably spin it more in the 2nd innings and the fact that these Aussies never give up.
That wicket will not last - being 2 days under-prepared, it barely held together until tonight. Expect problems from the off tomorrow - Warne will give England plenty of headaches but you'll start to see the seamers going through the top when a bit of sun gets on it too.

If it were England batting last, I wouldn't be confident of them mustering 200. I'd say that if they can set Australia 300, that'll be plenty.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It's interesting to note some of the bitterness over trivial happenings that some deemed to have gone against Australia(forgetting "shane warne" the obvious troll who knows little or nothing about cricket). I suppose the more you get used to winning the more you look for excuses when things don't go your way(that's not to say Australia can't win this match).
A board like this would certainly have interesting in the mid 80's when Australia were a poor side who were used to, if not losing, certainly a more mixed bag of results.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Lillian Thomson said:
It's interesting to note some of the bitterness over trivial happenings that some deemed to have gone against Australia(forgetting "shane warne" the obvious troll who knows little or nothing about cricket). I suppose the more you get used to winning the more you look for excuses when things don't go your way(that's not to say Australia can't win this match).
A board like this would certainly have interesting in the mid 80's when Australia were a poor side who were used to, if not losing, certainly a more mixed bag of results.
There are whingers on both sides. FWIT I think the decisions will even themselves out over the series, all spinners deserve more LBW's than they get, I doubt Warne has any more given against him than other test spinners do.

Great to see England and Australia fighting here, without McGrath they look almost beatable :-O .

greg

International Debutant
I happen to agree that Koertzen is fairly ordinary (second to Bucknor on the international panel for poorness, as I think I may have said in another recent thread)
Darryl Harper is by far and away the worst umpire in International cricket - you Aussies are just fortunate you can't have him doing your matches. Fortunately for us we also get Taufel (unless he's retired which i think he might) who is the best.

PY

International Coach
greg said:
Fortunately for us we also get Taufel (unless he's retired which i think he might) who is the best.
He's retired? He's only like mid-30s isn't he?!

greg

International Debutant
im not going to bother with that but just on topic, i think i saw the worst appeal ever recently by zaheer khan against the WI. somebody should tell him that a ball pitching outside leg and hitting the batsmen outside leg stump is not out
The worst LBW decision of all time was Stewart LBW Jayasuriya on the last but one Sri Lanka tour. The ball pitched a foot outside leg stump (Jaya bowling over the wicket) and the (Sri Lankan) umpire gave it out because "he couldn't see where the ball pitched because the bowler was standing in the way".

greg

International Debutant
He's retired? He's only like mid-30s isn't he?!
I heard he didn't want to sign up to being away from home for 12 months a year, and there was no leeway for him to do the job part-time

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
greg said:
The worst LBW decision of all time was Stewart LBW Jayasuriya on the last but one Sri Lanka tour. The ball pitched a foot outside leg stump (Jaya bowling over the wicket) and the (Sri Lankan) umpire gave it out because "he couldn't see where the ball pitched because the bowler was standing in the way".
Simon Taufel was umpiring only last week, so it's been a very sudden retirement. :D

Sri Lanka v W Indies, Kandy

Even more recent - ODI

Last edited:
greg said:
Darryl Harper is by far and away the worst umpire in International cricket - you Aussies are just fortunate you can't have him doing your matches. Fortunately for us we also get Taufel (unless he's retired which i think he might) who is the best.
Correct on both counts.

marc71178 said:
Oh yes, the number 10 being given out - what a key one that was (!)
Partnerships bud, partnerships.

A guy named gilchrist was batting with that number 10. You may wish to look into some of the damage he has done in such situations.

luckyeddie said:
That wicket will not last - being 2 days under-prepared, it barely held together until tonight. Expect problems from the off tomorrow - Warne will give England plenty of headaches but you'll start to see the seamers going through the top when a bit of sun gets on it too.

If it were England batting last, I wouldn't be confident of them mustering 200. I'd say that if they can set Australia 300, that'll be plenty.
Australia will need to get England all out for about 150 max I'd say to have a decent chance.

I could actually see them getting a reasonable target, then bottling a low chase again anyway.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shane Warne said:
Partnerships bud, partnerships.

A guy named gilchrist was batting with that number 10. You may wish to look into some of the damage he has done in such situations.
I can play the 'let's assume' game too.

Let's assume the umpire gave it not out.
Fine - now let's assume that Simon Jones produced precisely the same delivery next up that he actually did.
Gone next ball - no contest.