• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
England marginally had the best of the first session... Australia made plenty of runs but three wickets is significant, and Martyn in particular getting out is a big blow, given how prolific he has been in the last year or so. Clarke has another opportunity to stand up, as he did at Lords. A good afternoon session should take Australia close enough that they will feel capable of winning whatever happens from there, but while the prospect of being out for under 250 or so looms, England are still on top.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pedro Delgado said:
With Gilly in at 7 it's always hard to gauge where the game is, I have it even with loads of batting still to come.
Not really, Australia have to bat last and I wouldn't say they were on course to match England's score - of course lots of things can happen, but England are ahead on points at the moment. I think Jones will be quite a threat at about 40-50 overs - his seam position has been perfect, but unfortunately there wasn't any swing around when he bowled earlier.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Shane Warne said:
That celebration stuff with Giles was embarrassing to watch.
Why?

Because it shows a good team spirit?

Or because it's Australia on a down again so you automatically have to moan about something?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
I don't mind that! Go Vaughnie!

Only problem is, Gilchrist is going to feast on this pitch...
I don't think the pitch matters that much to Gilchrist really. He can score a run a ball century on anything, and get out for 5 on anything, it really depends. If he does like any particular conditions though, it's a pitch with high, even bounce where the ball races on to the bat, and this certainly isn't that, even if there's very little sideways movement.

If Australia get to 5/200 or something in the afternoon, Gilchrist often does well in those circumstances, so the battle with Flintof could become very significant.

social

shaka said:
Martyn is dumb for going for an unnecessary run, especially so close to lunch.
Its all about respect or lack thereof.

Martyn hits the ball wide of Vaughan for what should be an easy single.

Instead of running hard, he trots for the first 2/3 in the belief that Vaughan, as an ordinary fieldsman, will be lucky to pick the ball up let alone hit the stumps.

Hayden pays no respect to time of day, field placings, new ball, whatever and lobs a wide ball to cover first ball.

Ponting knows that Giles only means of attack is to bowl at the rough outside leg-stump and hope for a poor shot. What does Ponting do? Attempts a shot where the best possible result is one f*****g run!

Dumb and dumber.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
I think Jones will be quite a threat at about 40-50 overs - his seam position has been perfect, but unfortunately there wasn't any swing around when he bowled earlier.
Didn't he get a couple to move?

Pothas

Freddy was bowling really well before lunch if he can keep it up and the rest of the bowlers bowl well (jones didnt look good) they might be able to get a lead of about 50 anything over that would be great

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
One thing I don't understand is that the run out happened at about 12.26, so why did they go off for lunch?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pothas said:
Freddy was bowling really well before lunch if he can keep it up and the rest of the bowlers bowl well (jones didnt look good) they might be able to get a lead of about 50 anything over that would be great
I didn't think Jones looked too bad - poor 3rd over, but those first 2 were just what needed coming on at 50 after 9.

marc71178 said:
Why?

Because it shows a good team spirit?

Or because it's Australia on a down again so you automatically have to moan about something?
Because Giles is 6'3", 32 year old man, who is babied after causing his own problems because...as a bowler...he finally got...one wicket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pothas said:
there was the whole thing with the 3rd umpire that really wasnt needed
Well, it was because the decision needed to be made, but my point was that when it was given it was still 12.26.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Shane Warne said:
Because Giles is 6'3", 32 year old man, who is babied after causing his own problems because...as a bowler...he finally got...one wicket.
Oh right, just what I thought - Australia are on a down so you have to have a moan about something.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
England well on top, I`d go 60-40, maybe more when you consider what`s ahead in the next two innings after this.

Jones had some beautiful seam position, some moved indeed. All of Australia`s dismissals have been dreadfully poor, but that in part can be contributed to the pressure England put on.

Scaly piscine

marc71178 said:
Didn't he get a couple to move?
Don't remember any swing-wise, they all went dead straight I think apart from possibly hitting the seam. Certainly the 2 half-volleys and full toss that went for 4 didn't do anything and the 2 half-volleys the seam was perfectly upright.

Nnanden said:
England well on top, I`d go 60-40, maybe more when you consider what`s ahead in the next two innings after this.

Jones had some beautiful seam position, some moved indeed. All of Australia`s dismissals have been dreadfully poor, but that in part can be contributed to the pressure England put on.
Agreed. England FIRMLY in the box set here.

I see them probably having about a 100 run lead, going into second innings.

Swervy

International Captain
Shane Warne said:
Agreed. England FIRMLY in the box set here.

I see them probably having about a 100 run lead, going into second innings.
no way England are FIRMLY in the box seat at the moment...one more quick wicket then yeah maybe..two more before 150 up and absolutely