• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
social said:
In the case of Hoggard, I dont think so.

Based on the first test, he would've been cannon-fodder yesterday.

I think the danger men are Jones and Giles later in the match.
How could Giles be a danger man? He could be bowling in the middle of an old battle ground that still has active under ground mines and he would still struggle to get a batsman out.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
social said:
In the case of Hoggard, I dont think so.

Based on the first test, he would've been cannon-fodder yesterday.
He may not have bowled well, he could well have. But he would have swung it, no doubt in my mind.

social

Mister Wright said:
How could Giles be a danger man? He could be bowling in the middle of an old battle ground that still has active under ground mines and he would still struggle to get a batsman out.
Wicket will deteriorate and did you notice ball to Strauss out of rough before lunch.

Mister Wright

social said:
Wicket will deteriorate and did you notice ball to Strauss out of rough before lunch.
Yes, but that was bowled by Warne.

Warne & Giles in the same breath, never thought I'd see that... :wacko:

social

Mister Wright said:
Yes, but that was bowled by Warne.

Warne & Giles in the same breath, never thought I'd see that... :wacko:
Not comparing the 2 but Giles on this wicket could be interesting if it deteriorates as everyone anticipates

social

vic_orthdox said:
He may not have bowled well, he could well have. But he would have swung it, no doubt in my mind.
They werent swing-conducive conditions - it was too cold (another reason why we had to bat, I might add)

Hoggard's problem is pace - he simply isnt bowling quickly enough to force the batsmen back. As such, they are able to eradicate much of the movement by getting forward.

Jones is a quicker, skiddy bowler who could take advantage of uneven bounce and will reverse it later in this test.

I think he'll go for runs but will probably take wickets as well.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
social said:
They werent swing-conducive conditions - it was too cold (another reason why we had to bat, I might add)
That's the point I'm making. Hoggard doesn't need conditions to be all that conducive to swing the ball - whether or not he is a good bowler, how to play him, etc. is not what I'm talking about. People talk about how Brett Lee is now so potent because he swings the ball at high pace.

The fact is that he needs the conditions to be conducive to swing bowling much more than your average "swing bowler", and it is offensive to call him as such - as some, not necessarily on this forum, have been doing.

From what I've seen of Hoggard (besides his last tour of Australia, which I'm kind enough to write off as an abberation) he manages to swing it in most conditions with the new ball to some extent.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Looks like this will be the same attack for the 3rd test with McGrath unlikely to be fit enough in a week.
so unfair, that means i'll never see Mcgrath bowl here at old trafford in a test (argggggggh), i missed him in 97 now this :dry:

social

aussie said:
so unfair, that means i'll never see Mcgrath bowl here at old trafford in a test (argggggggh), i missed him in 97 now this :dry:
Report on Aus radio speculates that McGrath may be out for series.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Report on Aus radio speculates that McGrath may be out for series.
If he's torn ligaments in his ankle, even with treatment, he's out for a month. That's the series in my book and if the Aussies are smart, they'll assume the same and plan accordingly rather than hoping for his return.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Because that's how ligaments work - especially in a 35 year old fast bowler, who rotates on his ankle 6 times an over.
oh nooooooooo this is not good :mellow: , McGrath just cant be out of the series

shaka

International Regular
I think he'll be out of the 3rd test, but come back for the 4th test. He will want to play and he must hate missing any games.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
If McGrath is out for the rest of the series, I wouldn't be surprised if he retired altogether.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
why do you think so mate???
Because I've done it a few times and it's part of the reason why I can't bowl really quick anymore. Not without a fair bit of pain, anyway.

Ligaments take AGES to heal properly. Longer than fractures, really.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Apparently he has a type 2 tare which normally takes 6 weeks to heal (so says bbc website). Then he'd have to get his match fitness back. I guess it all depends how bad a type 2 it is ;)