• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Swervy

International Captain
yeah the pitch is slow and flat(ish) (the odd ball kept low)...but it isnt a ususual type slow flat wicket. There is talk of this crust on the top with moisture underneath. For me two things could happen:

the upper surface starts to go and we get the ball starting to go through it..which will mean the bounce will get unpredictable around late day 3

or

the moisture will be drawn up from below and will make the moring sessions of play good for bowling. This might hold the surface together a bit, but may increase the occurance of the indentations. I guess it depends on how fast the moisture comes through.

I think Australia should try and score as quickly as possible today..and bat until mid tomorrow, looking for a lead of say 90 or 100. I think a chasing score of much more than 200 will be tricky.

I might be wrong though :D

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Whilst it is some distance away, I just got a text from a mate in London saying that it's been pelting down all morning.

Anyone closer to the midlands with a window?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
twctopcat said:
If Mcgrath is out for the series as i have an inkling he may be, then we def have a chance from in on in for the remaining tests. With every respect to kasprowicz and gillespie, with Mcgrath out then if England keep on trying to improve against playing Warne then we can bat ourselves into position in every game.
As for today i think Jonesy will swing both the new and old ball, could be a real handful.
Aus has prospered with 4 bowlers because 2 are all-time greats.

Take one out and it looks much thinner.

Trouble is, we dont have a bowling all-rounder.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
vic_orthdox said:
Shows how conducive conditions need to be for Lee to swing a red ball. Someone like a Hoggard or a Fleming would have swung it for fun yesterday.
Fingers crossed for today then :)

Craig

World Traveller
Just seeing anothing shot of Flintoff's six off Brett Lee - what an amazing shot it was - not what you would find in the 1927 MCC Coaching Manuel, not having his eye on the ball and yet he was able to send it into the stands!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
social said:
Lee, Ponting (captaincy) and some of our fielding was abysmal.
Out of interest, does anyone else know why Ponting persisted with Warne and Lee before tea when they were being taken apart?

Surely a change was called for, be it one of the other front-liners or even a Clarke or Martyn for a couple of overs?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
shaka said:
I think he'll be out of the 3rd test, but come back for the 4th test. He will want to play and he must hate missing any games.
He's said he hopes to be back for the 4th Test, at least.

Mind you IIRC last time the Aussies were over here didn't another 30-something get injured in a way that was supposed to rule him out of the series...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
Whilst it is some distance away, I just got a text from a mate in London saying that it's been pelting down all morning.

It stopped raining in the centre of the universe (Derby - 35 miles East of Birmingham) a couple of hours ago - Edgbaston will have had a bit of a soaking (quickly tells Brummy git to kick some water under the covers). That'll slow the outfield up for sure.

Just been outside - it's quite humid and overcast now (throws ball to Lee, he bowls it back to me, ball hits square leg umpire - but that's normal for Brett)

Swervy

International Captain
social said:

according to the radar thing on the Met Office site, there is no rain near Birmingham

twctopcat

International Regular
Craig said:
Just seeing anothing shot of Flintoff's six off Brett Lee - what an amazing shot it was - not what you would find in the 1927 MCC Coaching Manuel, not having his eye on the ball and yet he was able to send it into the stands!
Apparently it just "hit the middle of the bat", luckily for Freddy!!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
honestbharani said:
But, pray tell me, why is Bell (who was made out to be the next Tendulkar) not even able to get to double figures?
I don't think anyone's made him out to be the next Tendulkar, but to be fair, the ball yesterday was a beauty, and Lords he got one that kept a bit low and the only Warne ball that didn't turn all game.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Out of interest, does anyone else know why Ponting persisted with Warne and Lee before tea when they were being taken apart?

Surely a change was called for, be it one of the other front-liners or even a Clarke or Martyn for a couple of overs?
Because of the mauling he felt Lee and Warne were more likely to get a wicket or two then say Martyn or Clarke?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
King_Ponting said:
Pontings decision to bowl first was warranted, given the speculation about the pitch before the match from the curator
What, that it would get worse as the game goes on?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
social said:

Yes, and it's a rather overcast and grey here (about 20 miles from the ground)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
It's the power of the man - he was trying to stop the shot, and still cleared the ropes.

55 sixes for him now - up to 12th in the Test list.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Because of the mauling he felt Lee and Warne were more likely to get a wicket or two then say Martyn or Clarke?
Possibly with Warne, but not the way Lee was bowling - at least one of the others might have put the ball somewhere near the right spot.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Possibly with Warne, but not the way Lee was bowling - at least one of the others might have put the ball somewhere near the right spot.
Then Kasprowicz or Gillespie would have been a better choice.