• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Steulen

International Regular
marc71178 said:
I've read it's supposedly going to be a slow track - which nullifies the likes of Flintoff and Harmison to an extent.
Slow but seaming. Excellent McGrath hunting ground again. Less so for the real pacemen, so indeed Lee, Harmison and Flintoff may have trouble getting the breakthrough. This could all be about how well Gillespie, Hoggard and Jones bowl.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Steulen said:
Slow but seaming. Excellent McGrath hunting ground again. Less so for the real pacemen, so indeed Lee, Harmison and Flintoff may have trouble getting the breakthrough. This could all be about how well Gillespie, Hoggard and Jones bowl.
Harmison is a seam bowler, who ironically usually ends up bowling better on slower pitches because he doesn't bother so much with the short stuff. He'll be very threatening on any seaming pitch.

Steulen

International Regular
Does everything have to become a Richard thrashing, Marc?

I'm most interested to see the pace of the England bowlers later in the match. It was quite remarkable how they fell away at Lord's.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Steulen said:
Does everything have to become a Richard thrashing, Marc?
Its an unhealthy obsession. Especially since Richard doesn't post in this tour thread, commenting on him is simply useless.

I hope Simon Jones gets some success in this 2nd test. :)

Scaly piscine

Cricinfo: "Collingwood returns to Durham"

Oh well, Giles better show some spine when he bats this time after all his rantings in the media.

Steulen

International Regular
Wonder what the selectors were up to.

You're not in the squad Colly
You're in the squad Colly

Steulen said:
Wonder what the selectors were up to.

You're in the squad Colly
It's actually more bizarre than that, given the fact that he was announced in it when everyone was fit, then Vaughn gets a scare but is OK, so Collingwood is released.

Steulen

International Regular
Shane Warne said:
It's actually more bizarre than that, given the fact that he was announced in it when everyone was fit, then Vaughn gets a scare but is OK, so Collingwood is released.
Supposing Ian Bell falls out of bed tonight...will they give Collingwood a callup?

Steulen

International Regular
twctopcat said:
Talk of tremlett possibly coming in for hoggard from aggers, any thoughts???
Unlikely. They won't blood a rookie bowler now, and there might also be good swinging conditions on Friday in particular.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
King_Ponting said:
Really why, what was the point of the selctors calling him up?
He was only drafted in because the wicket looked green/damp. Obviously it's dried out, and Gilo gets the nod.

Pothas

twctopcat said:
I read that aswell, might not be a bad idea, Tremlett is a good young bowler but as said before they probably wont risk playing him yet

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
twctopcat said:
The same Hoggard who was our star in SA?

Sounds like a very off the mark call to me.