• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Are there still any England fans under the misguided thought that England can actually compete this year? If they win a test, I'll put Kevin Pietersen as my avatar for a month..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
PommieMacGill said:
I'm afraid Geraint Jones isn't the answer to our wicketkeeping woes. I haven't been a big fan of him but this test match has made my mind up.

So far in his Test Match career he hasn't done anything spectacular with the bat and his wicketkeeping is decent at best. The shot he played today was awful and totally irresponsible given the position we were in.

We need to look to alternatives such as Matt Prior or even look to bring back Chris Read who is without doubt the best gloveman in England. Jones is simply not good enough.
well mate, read is definately much safer with the gloves, while Prior seems good but is he good enough to do well againts Australia??? i'm not so sure.I personally has i have said before Jones should not be dropped ihe desreves another chance.

The only person who's place should be under the cosh is Gilo.

King_Ponting

International Regular
aussie said:
well mate, read is definately much safer with the gloves, while Prior seems good but is he good enough to do well againts Australia??? i'm not so sure.I personally has i have said before Jones should not be dropped ihe desreves another chance.

No geriant jones as well for sure

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
There was a good chance the rain could have saved England, but instead of putting up a wall they come out swinging in the rain??
Lunacy.

Adamc said:
50 for KP, excellent debut from him (with the bat anyway), even if this innings will be virtually useless in the circumstances... unless it rains for another day-and-a-bit, of course.
He shouldn't have eeven been allowed to get to 50. He got two lives due to inept umpiring.

He was out plumb LBW yesterday. SO much so that the umpire apologised for the error.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Shane Warne said:
He shouldn't have eeven been allowed to get to 50. He got two lives due to inept umpiring.

He was out plumb LBW yesterday. SO much so that the umpire apologised for the error.
Who cares, he batted well and scored two fifties. Give credit where it's due and get over the bloody umpiring.

PommieMacGill

State Regular
aussie said:
The thing is that there is nobody who can replace Giles. There's nobody else in the country that is better than him at the current time.

Geraint Jones' place in the side needs to be seriously considered though. His keeping in this match has been atrocious and his shot was awful and totally irresponsible as I have said before.

Chris Read is averaging 46 with the bat in First Class Cricket this year and is the superior gloveman. It's about time Fletcher realises that catches win matches and picks Read.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
While what you say is true Pommie, constant selection changes have countless times been our downfall in the past... we need to avoid wholesale changes again. If Geraint has another terrible game, then we should begin to think about it.

PommieMacGill

State Regular
Tom Halsey said:
While what you say is true Pommie, constant selection changes have countless times been our downfall in the past... we need to avoid wholesale changes again. If Geraint has another terrible game, then we should begin to think about it.
I agree with you on this Halsey. Geraint Jones is really the only change I would make, I think we are okay in every other area apart from Giles but as I said before, there's nobody else in the country who is better than him.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
PommieMacGill said:
The thing is that there is nobody who can replace Giles. There's nobody else in the country that is better than him at the current time.

Geraint Jones' place in the side needs to be seriously considered though. His keeping in this match has been atrocious and his shot was awful and totally irresponsible as I have said before.

Chris Read is averaging 46 with the bat in First Class Cricket this year and is the superior gloveman. It's about time Fletcher realises that catches win matches and picks Read.
you dont have to pick Gilo is what i'm saying just work with the 4 quicks..., based on todays game i dont see him causing much of a headache to Australia even if he gets some assistance on any wicket later on in the series. But now that thorpe has retired it wont make sense picking 6 batsmen!!!!, so most likely Gilo will remain.

With regards to Jones i'll give him one more chance in Birmingham, then after their i may start considering Read again...

King_Ponting said:
Fitting for mcgrath to get rid of Hoggard. And fitting that no one got mcgrath out...........
I noticed something after that dismissal.

WHen the Aussies were huddled around together celebrating the wicket I saw Warne run off quickly.

I assumed he may have gone over to give Hoggard a send off after his comments.

Did anyone else notice this?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
A spinner is needed for variety IMO, and there's no-one better.

What we really need is a wrist-spinner. Our version of Warne.