• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
PommieMacGill said:
I agree with you on this Halsey. Geraint Jones is really the only change I would make, I think we are okay in every other area apart from Giles but as I said before, there's nobody else in the country who is better than him.
Monty Panesar ;) :p

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Warne said:
I noticed something after that dismissal.

WHen the Aussies were huddled around together celebrating the wicket I saw Warne run off quickly.

I assumed he may have gone over to give Hoggard a send off after his comments.

Did anyone else notice this?
Don't be a nob. You're trying way too hard now. You ought to save some of this drivel for between matches.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
A spinner is needed for variety IMO, and there's no-one better.

What we really need is a wrist-spinner. Our version of Warne.
well History is againts us here tom, since England have never produced any leg-spinner that played with any distinction :p , but i have heard stories of a lad by the name of Doug Wright who played in the 1950's...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Are there still any England fans under the misguided thought that England can actually compete this year? If they win a test, I'll put Kevin Pietersen as my avatar for a month..
It's three days since Australia were all out for 190...

Lillian Thomson said:
Don't be a nob. You're trying way too hard now. You ought to save some of this drivel for between matches.
What are you talking about you moron?

I'm not trying to do anything, it was an observation.

PommieMacGill

State Regular
Aussie, I know what your saying mate. A four-pronged pace attack with Hoggard, Harmison, Jones and Flintoff but I, like Halsey, like a spinner in there for the variation it brings.

I suppose if we did drop Geraint Jones and bring Ready back in we could drop Gilo and go with the four-pronged pace attack and bring in Collingwood to bolster the batting. Bat Collingwood at 6, Flintoff at 7 and Read at 8.

King_Ponting

International Regular
PommieMacGill said:
Aussie, I know what your saying mate. A four-pronged pace attack with Hoggard, Harmison, Jones and Flintoff but I, like Halsey, like a spinner in there for the variation it brings.

I suppose if we did drop Geraint Jones and bring Ready back in we could drop Gilo and go with the four-pronged pace attack and bring in Collingwood to bolster the batting. Bat Collingwood at 6, Flintoff at 7 and Read at 8.
Would you really want your best bat batting at 7?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Lillian Thomson said:
I wouldn't bother if I were you. Trolls don't ever stop, whether you tell them they're talking shi*e or you ignore them. They're unstoppable...like Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Terminator films.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Warne said:
What are you talking about you moron?

I'm not trying to do anything, it was an observation.
You're just boring everyone to tears with silly comments that if they are genuine prove you're a complete pratt, or if they are for any other reason you should find something better to do.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Are there still any England fans under the misguided thought that England can actually compete this year? If they win a test, I'll put Kevin Pietersen as my avatar for a month..
I'd like to see that :happy:

Lillian Thomson said:
You're just boring everyone to tears with silly comments that if they are genuine prove you're a complete pratt, or if they are for any other reason you should find something better to do.
You just got caught out assuming I made it up and are now trying to save face.

I think Aus should play Warne and Macgill in tandem as of now?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gillespie didn't do anything again, and it isn't as though Kaspa looks particularly frightening of late on this tour.

Macgill has had success against England in the past although granted not so much on the last Ashes tour. It's pretty obvious England still look suspect against this type of bowling and I wouldn't just wait for the Old Trafford and Oval tests before bowling them both together.

I think the greater turn of Macgill, combined with his good googlys might have a shock value. Like Warnes slider it way well cause alot of problems because it's a delivery England aren't used to since Warne doesn't bowl it.

The two of them also have had good recent success when operating in the same side. Even if one doesn't fire, invariably the other one has a very good match.

Swervy

International Captain
PommieMacGill said:

I would agree with that in some ways...apart from the fact that over the last few years, spinners have pretty consistantly been the main wicket takers in tests at Edgbaston. If the pitch plays in a similar manner (and bear in mind it it will be fairly late on in a dry English summer), England will need a viable spin option for the second test.

If the second test were to be played at say Headingley, I would go along 100% with what you have said

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Lillian Thomson said:
In the words of The Borg, resistance is futile. We can only hope that he bangs his head and loses all memory of this place.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Warne said:
I think Aus should play Warne and Macgill in tandem as of now?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gillespie didn't do anything again, and it isn't as though Kaspa looks particularly frightening of late on this tour.

Macgill has had success against England in the past although granted not so much on the last Ashes tour. It's pretty obvious England still look suspect against this type of bowling and I wouldn't just wait for the Old Trafford and Oval tests before bowling them both together.

I think the greater turn of Macgill, combined with his good googlys might have a shock value. Like Warnes slider it way well cause alot of problems because it's a delivery England aren't used to since Warne doesn't bowl it.

The two of them also have had good recent success when operating in the same side. Even if one doesn't fire, invariably the other one has a very good match.
Do you not think giving this subject it's own thread is enough?