• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in decline thread

Will Australia Fall into a Slump?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You what?

The current SA ODI side would beat the current Aus side?

I assume this is because you like lots of the South Africans and dislike lots of the Australians, because it certainly isn't based on any sane logic.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
3 years and more ago.
And if South Africa got their hands on Australia playing as they played recently they'd annhailate them.
I also reckon they'd have a decent chance against them in tip-top form.
Err, right. We'll find out at the end of the year, won't we?

Can we get an "eat my computer" promise on this one, because it's a doozy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
You what?

The current SA ODI side would beat the current Aus side?

I assume this is because you like lots of the South Africans and dislike lots of the Australians, because it certainly isn't based on any sane logic.
It's based on a belief that South Africa are more likely than anyone else to expose Lee, Hayden, Hogg and the few other substandard, overrated ODI players in Australia.
And you'll notice I certainly didn't say "the current SA ODI side would beat the current Aus side".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Err, right. We'll find out at the end of the year, won't we?

Can we get an "eat my computer" promise on this one, because it's a doozy.
No, we can't, because it's not remotely inconceivable that Aus will win.
South Africa just have a better chance than most - and a very good one indeed if Aus play as in the early NWS.

King_Ponting

International Regular
What you think that Hayden is overated??? And hogg overated??? Everyone knows hayden is a class batsman and everyone thinks hogg is crap so how is he overated if no one gives hogg the respect he deserves, if anything hogg is underated.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Actually, he has a point on the second part. Find me a (thinking) person who isn't being paid by Cricket Australia who rates Brad Hogg.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hogg since 2003\04 has bowled by-and-large poorly and got an extremely flattering record.
Hayden is a boundary-reliant batsman and has benefited from the poor standard of bowling, as he has in Tests.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
It's based on a belief that South Africa are more likely than anyone else to expose Lee, Hayden, Hogg and the few other substandard, overrated ODI players in Australia.
And you'll notice I certainly didn't say "the current SA ODI side would beat the current Aus side".
Hayden is barely rated at all in ODIs. Hogg is, as KP has pointed out, underrated in ODIs, and Lee is one of the best ODI bowlers in the world and deserves far more credit than he deserves from those who constantly rubbish him. I'd say the best chance anyone has had recently to beat Australia in ODIs was Sri Lanka with Murali in Sri Lanka, and they lost. So far of course, England are 1-1, but I think Australia will probably win.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Hayden is barely rated at all in ODIs. Hogg is, as KP has pointed out, underrated in ODIs, and Lee is one of the best ODI bowlers in the world and deserves far more credit than he deserves from those who constantly rubbish him. I'd say the best chance anyone has had recently to beat Australia in ODIs was Sri Lanka with Murali in Sri Lanka, and they lost. So far of course, England are 1-1, but I think Australia will probably win.
I'm absolutely certain Australia will win, especially if Trescothick keeps burning all his good form on Bangladesh.
There's so much more to come from Gillespie, Clarke (probably), Ponting and Gilchrist and for England Flintoff is about the only one I expect to show more than he has so far.
I too felt Sri Lanka had a good chance, but they didn't hit the ground running, always essential.
I feel South Africa are on track to get themselves in good shape by said series, however.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
I'm absolutely certain Australia will win, especially if Trescothick keeps burning all his good form on Bangladesh.
i dont think it quite works like that...you dont use up form in the way you have suggested

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
3 years and more ago.
And if South Africa got their hands on Australia playing as they played recently they'd annhailate them.
I also reckon they'd have a decent chance against them in tip-top form.
because this SA ODI side is so much better than the one that got humiliated last time around?

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Scallywag said:
Hehehehehehehehheehehe

for ten minutes India thought they were the best in the world.
you are wrong..we still think we are the best in the world....unfortunately the facts don't bear us out..... :p

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
honestbharani said:
*gets on time machine*

WE ARE THE WORLD CHAMPIONS! :D
Nope.

Derbyshire are the official World Champions.

It goes like this...

1. Australia won some tin pot in 2003.
2. Somerset beat Australia, causing the new WCA to recognise Somerset.
3. Scotland beat Somerset.
4. Scotland tied with Derbyshire. However, because Derbyshire lost fewer wickets, the even newer ICF awarded the crown to Derbyshire using the Duckworth...
<quack> pardon?
4. (cont)... sorry, the DUCK method.
<quack> better.
5. Leicestershire beat Scotland. The WCA recognise Scotland. The ICF are in the pub.
6a. Leicestershire beat Nottinghamshire. The ICF are still in the pub.
6b. Derbyshire beat Durham. The ICF continue to recognise Derbyshire, and frankly because it's Happy Hour, they would have even if they had lost. The WCA continue to recognise Leicestershire.
7. Derbyshire beat Leicestershire under the DUCK method in what amounts to a unification bout.
<quack> pardon?
7. (cont)... sorry, DUCK-worth-Lewis method.
<quack> better.
7. (even more cont) ... anyway, the WCA, which is based in Leicestershire, continue to weasel out of their obligations and claim to have left their belt at home, but the chairduck of the ICF knows where they live, sneaks into their garage and just 'happens' to find it in the boot of their car where they had stuffed it after being unceremoniously chased out of the County Ground following the (alleged) theft of a meat pie, thus re-unifying cricket's official world championship..
<quack> ...(chomp) meat and potato pie, and very nice it wa..... er, allegedly.
7. (addendum) You stole a pie and stitched up the WCA?
<quack> er,
7. (a bit more) Well done.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
honestbharani said:
I know.

That is why I mentioned the time machine bit. :)
Honest by name, honest by nature

<quack> Do you know what 'Bharani' means?

Nope.

<quack> It means 'Man with fingers firmly crossed behind back who says "Oh no, Sahib, you are not going to be eating this one" when he brings your Vindaloo'
But I was able to eat it - not hot at all. It was a lie.
<quack> You had to put the toilet roll in the fridge the next day.
So it means 'truthful'?
<quack> I haven't got a clue.