• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in decline thread

Will Australia Fall into a Slump?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Swervy

International Captain
Son Of Coco said:
Just a tip : Don't try to start a thread called "Letters in the Alphabet beginning with A" guys. It was closed after 7 posts, which disturbingly, is 5 more than the one I posted looking for funny stories about people getting hit in the testicles. haha
hehehehe

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
I do think that Australia have been the world best team for a decade ..yes..and I still stand by that...despite a three year spell when it could be said that SA were more successful in ODI's (although I ask the question..how many world cup finals did SA get to in that time???)
How many world cups were played btweeen 1995-1998 ? ONE, Australia reached the Finals, SA didn't big deal once again are we going to decide who is a better team on the basis of one tournament. SL won Aus didn't so what is the point ?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
But you said:
Here, you appear to acknowledge that Australia were a better team in tests over that period.
Well I went back and checkde again, Yes Australia had won more tests but they also played more and lost more too.

Winning % of Aus - 52, SA - 45
Losing % of Aus - 27, SA - 21

Not much difference I would say.

Anyway Time for me to go home, my one year old is waiting at home. See ya all tomorrow. :D

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
How many world cups were played btweeen 1995-1998 ? ONE, Australia reached the Finals, SA didn't big deal once again are we going to decide who is a better team on the basis of one tournament. SL won Aus didn't so what is the point ?
yeah I was being an **** there :D ...but the point is, just because SAhad a slightly better spell in ODI's during that 95/98 period , that really doesnt mean that they were CLEARLY the best team of the late 90's,,which is basically what you said

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
Well I went back and checkde again, Yes Australia had won more tests but they also played more and lost more too.

Anyway Time for me to go home, my one year old is waiting at home. See ya all tomorrow. :D

ooooh, you got out just as we were winning...damn!!!!

Slow Love™

International Captain
Sanz said:

Enjoy! My son's just on 6 months (and thankfully, fast asleep right now).

Certainly those stats would suggest that Australia performed better in tests over that period, even if it's by a slight margin.

Here's an article that demonstrates that you might have a point for that time very early in Waugh's captaincy, just after Australia drew the series in the West Indies and lost to Sri Lanka. But apart from that, from Jan '96 onwards (with a short interruption by the West Indies, who weren't going down without a fight), it was all Australia at the top.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/01/08/1073437402344.html

This guy has been doing these rankings for some time, and has gone so far as to apply them retroactively, all the way to the late 1800's. Pretty cool stuff, and certainly good as a general guide.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
nookie_lk said:
i guess its the same for ur beloved team ENGLAND
Difference being that I'm realistic enough to know that England aren't anywhere near Australia in ODI's, so don't claim it on here.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
After Australia beat the Windies in Windies in 1995, they have been acknowledged as the best test side in the world.

As far as ODIs go, Sri Lanka were the best in 1996 clearly. South Africa were the best team up till the 1999 world cup and after the dramatic turn of events in 1999, Australia has by far dominated the one day scene as well..

FRAZ

International Captain
Yup . But still I dont see any one seriously threatning Aussies ATM. Once again the team which has a 60% win percentage is an excellent team but Aussies are even more than 60%. I 've seen so many guys mentioning one odd victories over Austraslia . Australia lost a test series in Pakistan too in the 97-98 I guess and then they lost to India too . But I think this does'nt concludes that the others are catching up .
In my view Srilanka has Improved the most , Their 96 brief period was just like Saqlain's initial period but the others caught up with their game plan . But Srilanka of today is a much balanced team just lacking good quality Fast bowlers . SA sucks now and their game plan is'nt that good now . I am not just saying it because of their recent stupities but overall they are down big time . England is absolutely good and improved but still they are beatable at any place at any time .... Pakistan sucks now and I dont know why they are still winning matches in Inzamam's captaincy . Their recent success to be honest depended mostly upon Yasir Hameed. It does'nt matter that he is just a 40 odd player but the thing is he keeps one end intact even if he makes 19 or 20 odd runs ... India is the team to watch out but they have serious problems with the fast bowling department just like Srilanka . Now the time is for Pakistan and India because they have quite a fair amount of new blood ... And lets see ... But still I dont think that the Aussies are gonna be challenged seriously ... They seem to be a top side may be till 3-4 more years for sure ....

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Answering an earlier question, NZ has a lot of emerging batsmen that should displace has-beens like McMillan this season. Not too much on the bowling front though.

And people were suggesting that SL and PAK are the only ODI teams to challenge AUS. NZ have recently thrashed ENG, WI, SA, and PAK. NZ may be weak in tests at the moment but are definitely the second best ODI team on form.

FRAZ

International Captain
Will Scarlet said:
Answering an earlier question, NZ has a lot of emerging batsmen that should displace has-beens like McMillan this season. Not too much on the bowling front though.

And people were suggesting that SL and PAK are the only ODI teams to challenge AUS. NZ have recently thrashed ENG, WI, SA, and PAK. NZ may be weak in tests at the moment but are definitely the second best ODI team on form.
LISTEN DUDE , Kiwis are certainly the best fielding side in the world . And thats the only reason why they are so successful in the one day format. But they are dependent upon the conditions . On the flat tracks they can't just pull off a series against any south asian side . Or can they Or have they ? For me after Aussies I think only Pakistan and South Africa are the two sides who have performed well on tours ... check the records ..

FRAZ

International Captain
Slats4ever said:
nope. Australia still S*H*I*T on everyone else
lol ,Slat , This thing is'nt the issue on this thread . It can be said in any other sledging or bullying topic thread !!!!

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FRAZ said:
For me after Aussies I think only Pakistan and South Africa are the two sides who have performed well on tours ... check the records ..
What like the way both played in NZ this winter and lost heavily?

FRAZ

International Captain
marc71178 said:
What like the way both played in NZ this winter and lost heavily?
Pakistan won the test series and almost won the one day series and without Saeed Anwar , Wasim , Waqar , Ijaz , Rashid and some what Saqlain too ...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
Pakistan won the test series and almost won the one day series and without Saeed Anwar , Wasim , Waqar , Ijaz , Rashid and some what Saqlain too ...
NZ won the ODI series 4-1, I dont how you can call that as an 'Almost won'. IMO NZ almost swept the series.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FRAZ said:
Well NZ were missing Crowe, Hadlee, ...

You can't say they're missing players who've long retired, and they were hammered.

Swervy

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Well NZ were missing Crowe, Hadlee, ...

You can't say they're missing players who've long retired, and they were hammered.
hehehe..i think WG Grace is the missing piece in the England test team