• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in decline thread

Will Australia Fall into a Slump?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sanz said:
Check out Australian ODI performance between 1995-1998 and then tell me it was better than SL & SA. IMO SA were the better team in 1999 World Cup and as long as Hansie was their captain.
Well, they came away from that World Cup 0-2 against Australia.

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
Wrong dates, I said Australia are no.1 team for last 5 years ( which means from 1999) And I specifically mentioned that between the period of 1995-1998 Australia were a much weaker team than post 1999(world cup) or pre 1995.

Now Please go back and bring out the same statistics from 01-01-1995 to 01-01-1999 and tell us the difference. I would say that Australia and SA were at par in TESTs and SA way better in ODIs.

Do I really have to...cant see that it would make that much difference

Swervy

International Captain
Son Of Coco said:
bit harsh on SA..I think it was 0-1-1 (people forget that semi was a tied game, although effectively SA lost I guess)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
I thought you said during Cronje's reign as captain
Well Wasn't cronje the SA captain during 1995-1998 ? I have already said that Australia are top team for 5 years and I think that would mean since 1999. So where is the confusion sir.

Son Of Coco

Swervy said:
bit harsh on SA..I think it was 0-1-1 (people forget that semi was a tied game, although effectively SA lost I guess)
Yeah, I just meant they never won, and bombed out in spectacular fashion. Didn't bother with the tie column! haha

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
Well Wasn't cronje the SA captain during 1995-1998 ? I have already said that Australia are top team for 5 years and I think that would mean since 1999. So where is the confusion sir.

sorry I took that to be during the entire captaincy period of Cronje

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
Do I really have to...cant see that it would make that much difference
You will be surprised, check it out the difference is huge in ODIs. In tests I would agree that Australia have an edge but SA aren't far behind.

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
do you want us to cut out any other times so that it suits your arguement???? :D

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
You will be surprised, check it out the difference is huge in ODIs. In tests I would agree that Australia have an edge but SA aren't far behind.
well, as I think most people would take test matches to be the truer test of a teams stregth, I think you may well have conceded that Australia were numero uno

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Son Of Coco said:
Right, I never disputed that, have I ? I think 1999 was the year when Australia transformed into a really professional unit it has become today.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
do you want us to cut out any other times so that it suits your arguement???? :D
Hahaha, Hey it's not as if I changed the rules afterwords. Look at my first few post in this thread. You have said that Australia have been the best team for a decade, which is not true because Australia were clearly not the best team in 1995, 1996, 1997 & 1998.

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz,here is what you said earlier:

SA under Cronje were clearly a better ODI and Test side than the Aussie team under Steve Waugh.

Now do you still feel that is the case????

Son Of Coco

Sanz said:
Hahaha, Hey it's not as if I changed the rules afterwords. Look at my first few post in this thread. You have said that Australia have been the best team for a decade, which is not true because Australia were clearly not the best team in 1995, 1996, 1997 & 1998.
ohhh, but i think they were........

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
Ok I will go have a look...I still think Australia were the best team in the world during those years..but lets have a look

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
Sanz,here is what you said earlier:

SA under Cronje were clearly a better ODI and Test side than the Aussie team under Steve Waugh.

Now do you still feel that is the case????
If you add my other statements that Australia are a top side for last 5 years,than YES.

Swervy, I can play those games too, You said Australia are a better side for over a decade now, do you feel that was the case in 1995-1998 ? At least in ODIs.

Son Of Coco

Just a tip : Don't try to start a thread called "Letters in the Alphabet beginning with A" guys. It was closed after 7 posts, which disturbingly, is 5 more than the one I posted looking for funny stories about people getting hit in the testicles. haha

Swervy

International Captain
During that time..Australia beat SA 3 times in tests..SA won once

In ODI's Australia won 7 SA won 11..but Australia won 2 of the 3 finals games played in that time.

OK SA have the edge in ODI's..Australia in tests...but dont most people consider who is the best in tests to be the best team in the world!!!Maybe i am wrong on that

Slow Love™

International Captain
Sanz said:
If you add my other statements that Australia are a top side for last 5 years,than YES.
But you said:

Here, you appear to acknowledge that Australia were a better team in tests over that period.

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:

Swervy, I can play those games too, You said Australia are a better side for over a decade now, do you feel that was the case in 1995-1998 ? At least in ODIs.
I do think that Australia have been the world best team for a decade ..yes..and I still stand by that...despite a three year spell when it could be said that SA were more successful in ODI's (although I ask the question..how many world cup finals did SA get to in that time???)