• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in decline thread

Will Australia Fall into a Slump?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Swervy said:
you you not think that the gap between Australia and the rest is even bigger in ODI's than in tests
ofcourse...i feel that the top ODI countries like SL and PAK are much closer to Aus...but Test cricket is a different story.

the 2003 world cup semi final SL vs AUS, australia made only 214 or something and SL could have won that if they didnt throw their wickets away. and the AUS series in SL australia just won 3-2 in ODI's. and the last champions throphy sri lanka beat australia in style in the semi finals. So as u can see Sri Lanka has been a challenge for the ausies in ODI's

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
...and in tests Australia have been the best for a lot longer than 5 and a bit years
Wasn't it South Africa who were the Test Champions until recently ?? :p

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
Wasn't it South Africa who were the Test Champions until recently ?? :p
i think Australia were and then by some quirk in the system that was in operation then,somehow South Africa took over for a very brief spell..although I am sure that everyone was convinced that Australia were still light years ahead of them in the test game

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
i think Australia were and then by some quirk in the system that was in operation then,somehow South Africa took over for a very brief spell..although I am sure that everyone was convinced that Australia were still light years ahead of them in the test game
Am I the only one who is feeling the arrogance in your post ? South Africa beat India in India 2-0 (which australia has not done in ages). SA under Cronje were clearly a better ODI and Test side than the Aussie team under Steve Waugh.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
oh yeah..but since when has that really been an indicator of who really is the best...I mean India won in 83, but they werent the best one day side in the world then,Australia won in 87, but they werent the best in the world...and in tests Australia have been the best for a lot longer than 5 and a bit years
Check out Australian ODI performance between 1995-1998 and then tell me it was better than SL & SA. IMO SA were the better team in 1999 World Cup and as long as Hansie was their captain.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Sanz said:
There is a country called 'SRI LANKA' which won the world cup in 1996 by beating Australia in the finals.
Yes, they beat the Aussies in one match, but got thrashed in the series shortly before the World Cup.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sanz said:
Check out Australian ODI performance between 1995-1998 and then tell me it was better than SL & SA. IMO SA were the better team in 1999 World Cup and as long as Hansie was their captain.
Well SA's record against us would suggest otherwise, but I'm only thinking of the extra big matches as I can remember all of them. I know someone said something about the past 10 years but I guess the thread's maybe looking at more present day stuff.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
Yes, they beat the Aussies in one match, but got thrashed in the series shortly before the World Cup.
You need to define the definition of 'thrashing'. Winning(at home) by 10-15 runs is not thrashing. I think SL had done pretty well in the world series, most of the matches they lost were pretty close.

Btw, We were talking about ODIs not Tests and I have already said that SL had a better record against Australia in ODIs during 1995-1998, despite Australia playing 6 ODIs at Home. Did you know that during that period Australia were able to beat SL only once outside australia.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Son Of Coco said:
Well SA's record against us would suggest otherwise, but I'm only thinking of the extra big matches as I can remember all of them. I know someone said something about the past 10 years but I guess the thread's maybe looking at more present day stuff.
Well Aus's record against us would state otherwise too but I can not claim that India is a better team. We look at the consistency and I think SA were better than Aus between as long as Hansie was the captain and certainly better during 1995-1998 period.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Sanz said:
Am I the only one who is feeling the arrogance in your post ? South Africa beat India in India 2-0 (which australia has not done in ages). SA under Cronje were clearly a better ODI and Test side than the Aussie team under Steve Waugh.
Wait a minute though - the period that Swervy is referring to was a lot more recent than that, and it was when Pollock was captain. And it WAS a complete joke to see Pollock shamefacedly accept the trophy, when they clearly were not the best team in the comp. It was a result of this ludicrous quirk of the rankings that the ICC changed their rating system.

And while the success of the SAF one-day side is debatable comparative to Australia (they were still major league chokers back then under Cronje, and failed to win tournaments on numerous occasions), I really don't think they were a better test side than Australia. They never won a series against the Aussies, for a start, home OR away. The fact that they won a series in India just means they achieved something that Australia hasn't, but it in no way makes them a better team.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
nookie_lk said:
the 2003 world cup semi final SL vs AUS, australia made only 214 or something and SL could have won that if they didnt throw their wickets away.

Did they throw them away or did the Australian bowlers step up when needed and get them out?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
nookie_lk said:
when it comes to one day cricket i think currently Sri lanka and Pakistan can give a huge challenge to Australia

If SL could play all their games at home, then maybe...

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
marc71178 said:
Did they throw them away or did the Australian bowlers step up when needed and get them out?
If u watched the match u would know (ex -aravinda's run out and mahela's wicket )

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
well I didnt mean to be arrogant with that.....were SA better than Australia???? I really didnt think they were....remember playing India isnt the only barometer we use to measure a teams strength

I thought that it was widely acknowledged that the old style of figuring out who was number one was heavily flawed,especially as SA had just been trounced by Australia and were obviously the inferior team of the two

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Wait a minute though - the period that Swervy is referring to was a lot more recent than that, and it was when Pollock was captain. And it WAS a complete joke to see Pollock shamefacedly accept the trophy, when they clearly were not the best team in the comp. It was a result of this ludicrous quirk of the rankings that the ICC changed their rating system.
if you had followed the discussion, then you would have clearly noticed what I said. I said earlier that Australia are the best team since last 5 years or so and Swervy asked who was the no. 1 team before that and I replied it was SA & SL. Because I remember the ODI performances of SA and they were awesome.

Slow Love™ said:
And while the success of the SAF one-day side is debatable comparative to Australia (they were still major league chokers back then under Cronje, and failed to win tournaments on numerous occasions), I really don't think they were a better test side than Australia. They never won a series against the Aussies, for a start, home OR away. The fact that they won a series in India just means they achieved something that Australia hasn't, but it in no way makes them a better team.
I dont think that's true. They recently won a VB series in Australia where australia didn't even reach the finals, They won a ODI series in SA, wills international cup in dhaka, reached the finals of Titan Cup (Australia didn't) & Hero Cup in India.